Necker Island reopens for luxury Caribbean holidays
Richard Branson has reopened Necker Island to tourists taking Caribbean holidays following a severe fire at the Great House on the island last month. While the house is being rebuilt, guests will be able to stay in newly-refurbished Bali Houses.
Sir Richard Branson has announced the reopening of his private island in the Caribbean, following a huge fire last month. Tourists taking Caribbean holidays will be able to stay in Branson’s private house and newly-refurbished Bali Houses on Necker Island while the Great House is being rebuilt.
Last month, the Great House caught fire when it was hit by lightening during a storm as Hurricane Irene raged through the Caribbean. The luxury-eight bedroom property was destroyed by 200-feet-high flames but fortunately guests staying at the private retreat managed to escape.
Oscar-winning actress, Kate Winslet was spending Caribbean holidays with her children on Necker Island when the house caught fire in the early hours of the morning on Monday 22nd August, 2011. Branson’s son raised the alarm after he heard explosions and Winslet carried Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eva, from the house to safety.
A Virgin Limited Edition statement said: “Sir Richard Branson’s privately owned island and part of the Virgin Limited Edition collection, can confirm that it is business as usual with plans already in place for the rebuild of the Great House.”
Smaller groups of holidaymakers will be able to take holidays to the Caribbean at the private retreat where they can stay in the six Bali Houses, Branson’s 105-foot-long luxury catamaran Necker Belle, and the billionaire’s private home, Temple House.
The company stated: “As for the Great House itself, much of its beautiful features will be incorporated into the new design to ensure it retains its authentic Balinese style with panoramic views of the Caribbean but will include a couple of new and innovative twists.”
Situated in the British Virgin Islands, Necker Island is a luxury destination for wealthy travellers. The island has accommodation for up to 28 guests and for approximately £33,000 per per night tourists can enjoy upscale facilities and services during luxury holidays in the Caribbean. Luxury facilities private pools, tennis courts and a personal chef.
After buying the island in the early 1980s, Branson married his wife Joan on Turtle Beach where he arrived at the ceremony clinging to a helicopter. Necker Island is now one of the most luxurious Caribbean hotels and resorts for weddings, honeymoons and idyllic lavish escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...