Necker Island reopens for luxury Caribbean holidays
Richard Branson has reopened Necker Island to tourists taking Caribbean holidays following a severe fire at the Great House on the island last month. While the house is being rebuilt, guests will be able to stay in newly-refurbished Bali Houses.
Sir Richard Branson has announced the reopening of his private island in the Caribbean, following a huge fire last month. Tourists taking Caribbean holidays will be able to stay in Branson’s private house and newly-refurbished Bali Houses on Necker Island while the Great House is being rebuilt.
Last month, the Great House caught fire when it was hit by lightening during a storm as Hurricane Irene raged through the Caribbean. The luxury-eight bedroom property was destroyed by 200-feet-high flames but fortunately guests staying at the private retreat managed to escape.
Oscar-winning actress, Kate Winslet was spending Caribbean holidays with her children on Necker Island when the house caught fire in the early hours of the morning on Monday 22nd August, 2011. Branson’s son raised the alarm after he heard explosions and Winslet carried Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eva, from the house to safety.
A Virgin Limited Edition statement said: “Sir Richard Branson’s privately owned island and part of the Virgin Limited Edition collection, can confirm that it is business as usual with plans already in place for the rebuild of the Great House.”
Smaller groups of holidaymakers will be able to take holidays to the Caribbean at the private retreat where they can stay in the six Bali Houses, Branson’s 105-foot-long luxury catamaran Necker Belle, and the billionaire’s private home, Temple House.
The company stated: “As for the Great House itself, much of its beautiful features will be incorporated into the new design to ensure it retains its authentic Balinese style with panoramic views of the Caribbean but will include a couple of new and innovative twists.”
Situated in the British Virgin Islands, Necker Island is a luxury destination for wealthy travellers. The island has accommodation for up to 28 guests and for approximately £33,000 per per night tourists can enjoy upscale facilities and services during luxury holidays in the Caribbean. Luxury facilities private pools, tennis courts and a personal chef.
After buying the island in the early 1980s, Branson married his wife Joan on Turtle Beach where he arrived at the ceremony clinging to a helicopter. Necker Island is now one of the most luxurious Caribbean hotels and resorts for weddings, honeymoons and idyllic lavish escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...