Necker Island reopens for luxury Caribbean holidays
Richard Branson has reopened Necker Island to tourists taking Caribbean holidays following a severe fire at the Great House on the island last month. While the house is being rebuilt, guests will be able to stay in newly-refurbished Bali Houses.
Sir Richard Branson has announced the reopening of his private island in the Caribbean, following a huge fire last month. Tourists taking Caribbean holidays will be able to stay in Branson’s private house and newly-refurbished Bali Houses on Necker Island while the Great House is being rebuilt.
Last month, the Great House caught fire when it was hit by lightening during a storm as Hurricane Irene raged through the Caribbean. The luxury-eight bedroom property was destroyed by 200-feet-high flames but fortunately guests staying at the private retreat managed to escape.
Oscar-winning actress, Kate Winslet was spending Caribbean holidays with her children on Necker Island when the house caught fire in the early hours of the morning on Monday 22nd August, 2011. Branson’s son raised the alarm after he heard explosions and Winslet carried Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eva, from the house to safety.
A Virgin Limited Edition statement said: “Sir Richard Branson’s privately owned island and part of the Virgin Limited Edition collection, can confirm that it is business as usual with plans already in place for the rebuild of the Great House.”
Smaller groups of holidaymakers will be able to take holidays to the Caribbean at the private retreat where they can stay in the six Bali Houses, Branson’s 105-foot-long luxury catamaran Necker Belle, and the billionaire’s private home, Temple House.
The company stated: “As for the Great House itself, much of its beautiful features will be incorporated into the new design to ensure it retains its authentic Balinese style with panoramic views of the Caribbean but will include a couple of new and innovative twists.”
Situated in the British Virgin Islands, Necker Island is a luxury destination for wealthy travellers. The island has accommodation for up to 28 guests and for approximately £33,000 per per night tourists can enjoy upscale facilities and services during luxury holidays in the Caribbean. Luxury facilities private pools, tennis courts and a personal chef.
After buying the island in the early 1980s, Branson married his wife Joan on Turtle Beach where he arrived at the ceremony clinging to a helicopter. Necker Island is now one of the most luxurious Caribbean hotels and resorts for weddings, honeymoons and idyllic lavish escapes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...