Caribbean to celebrate Tourism's upturn at World Travel Awards in October
As the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays begins to rise following the global recession, travel and tourism companies and organisations within the Caribbean will be competing for top honours at the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony next month.
Jamaica will be hosting the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island in Montego Bay next month. The awards ceremony will acknowledge the role of several leading travel brands as they help to bring the Caribbean region out of the global recession and encourage tourists from all over the world to take Caribbean holidays.
Despite the challenges that still lie in European and North American markets, the number of travellers visiting the tropical region has risen and holiday destinations such as Jamaica are experiencing a growth in tourism.
The event will take place on 19th October, 2011 and will be attended by top leaders and organisations within the Caribbean holidays industry who will compete for the prestigious titles.
Categories include "Caribbean's Leading Destination" with Aruba, Barbados, Bahamas, Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Turks and Caicos among the nominees and the "Caribbean's Leading Hotel" will see Caribbean hotels such as the Half Moon in Jamaica, Jumby Bay in Antigua, Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos and Sandy Lane in Barbados battle it out for top honours.
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: "The region has shown remarkable resilience to overcome the challenges of recent times, with an exceptional focus on excellent customer service and facilities that are second to none.
"Jamaica in particular has proven one of the tourism stars of the global downturn because of its boundless appetite for reinvention – a spirit exemplified by our event hosts, Jamaica Tourist Board, and Sandals Resorts."
There has been a significant increase in the number of tourists taking Jamaica holidays and John Lynch, the Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, is confident of the Caribbean's strong brand.
He said: "As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world's premium brands are available within the region, and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable, and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed."
Gordon "Butch" Stewart, the Chairman of Sandals Resorts which operates several St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados and Jamaica hotels, is pleased to be hosting the World Travel Awards Caribbean and the Americas Ceremony at the Jamaican resort next month.
"At Sandals Resorts, we come from the region, we understand the communities, we understand the quality of the beaches, and we understand the services and standards that the customer now demands," he explained.
"As we celebrate 30 years of providing luxury vacations that exceed expectations, I can say that we are delighted to showcase those services and amenities to the travel industry once again this year."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...