Caribbean to celebrate Tourism's upturn at World Travel Awards in October
As the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays begins to rise following the global recession, travel and tourism companies and organisations within the Caribbean will be competing for top honours at the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony next month.
Jamaica will be hosting the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island in Montego Bay next month. The awards ceremony will acknowledge the role of several leading travel brands as they help to bring the Caribbean region out of the global recession and encourage tourists from all over the world to take Caribbean holidays.
Despite the challenges that still lie in European and North American markets, the number of travellers visiting the tropical region has risen and holiday destinations such as Jamaica are experiencing a growth in tourism.
The event will take place on 19th October, 2011 and will be attended by top leaders and organisations within the Caribbean holidays industry who will compete for the prestigious titles.
Categories include "Caribbean's Leading Destination" with Aruba, Barbados, Bahamas, Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Turks and Caicos among the nominees and the "Caribbean's Leading Hotel" will see Caribbean hotels such as the Half Moon in Jamaica, Jumby Bay in Antigua, Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos and Sandy Lane in Barbados battle it out for top honours.
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: "The region has shown remarkable resilience to overcome the challenges of recent times, with an exceptional focus on excellent customer service and facilities that are second to none.
"Jamaica in particular has proven one of the tourism stars of the global downturn because of its boundless appetite for reinvention – a spirit exemplified by our event hosts, Jamaica Tourist Board, and Sandals Resorts."
There has been a significant increase in the number of tourists taking Jamaica holidays and John Lynch, the Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, is confident of the Caribbean's strong brand.
He said: "As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world's premium brands are available within the region, and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable, and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed."
Gordon "Butch" Stewart, the Chairman of Sandals Resorts which operates several St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados and Jamaica hotels, is pleased to be hosting the World Travel Awards Caribbean and the Americas Ceremony at the Jamaican resort next month.
"At Sandals Resorts, we come from the region, we understand the communities, we understand the quality of the beaches, and we understand the services and standards that the customer now demands," he explained.
"As we celebrate 30 years of providing luxury vacations that exceed expectations, I can say that we are delighted to showcase those services and amenities to the travel industry once again this year."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy Unlimited-Luxury and make the most of the stunning secluded setting at Bavaro beach
- Younger guests get to have limitless fun at the Explorer's Kids Club and the Core Zone Teens' Club.
- Enjoy a host of activities, including tennis, basketball, volleyball, bowling, golf, Horse riding, fishing, aerobics, dance classes, water sports.
- Premium All Inclusive property with a selection of food and beverages on offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...