Caribbean to celebrate Tourism's upturn at World Travel Awards in October
As the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays begins to rise following the global recession, travel and tourism companies and organisations within the Caribbean will be competing for top honours at the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony next month.
Jamaica will be hosting the World Travel Awards VIP Ceremony at the Sandals Royal Caribbean Resort and Private Island in Montego Bay next month. The awards ceremony will acknowledge the role of several leading travel brands as they help to bring the Caribbean region out of the global recession and encourage tourists from all over the world to take Caribbean holidays.
Despite the challenges that still lie in European and North American markets, the number of travellers visiting the tropical region has risen and holiday destinations such as Jamaica are experiencing a growth in tourism.
The event will take place on 19th October, 2011 and will be attended by top leaders and organisations within the Caribbean holidays industry who will compete for the prestigious titles.
Categories include "Caribbean's Leading Destination" with Aruba, Barbados, Bahamas, Jamaica, St. Lucia, and Turks and Caicos among the nominees and the "Caribbean's Leading Hotel" will see Caribbean hotels such as the Half Moon in Jamaica, Jumby Bay in Antigua, Parrot Cay in Turks and Caicos and Sandy Lane in Barbados battle it out for top honours.
President and Founder of the World Travel Awards, Graham E. Cooke, said: "The region has shown remarkable resilience to overcome the challenges of recent times, with an exceptional focus on excellent customer service and facilities that are second to none.
"Jamaica in particular has proven one of the tourism stars of the global downturn because of its boundless appetite for reinvention – a spirit exemplified by our event hosts, Jamaica Tourist Board, and Sandals Resorts."
There has been a significant increase in the number of tourists taking Jamaica holidays and John Lynch, the Chairman of the Jamaica Tourist Board, is confident of the Caribbean's strong brand.
He said: "As a tourism region, the Caribbean has a lot to offer. Many of the world's premium brands are available within the region, and these are complimented by brands that developed in the Caribbean and have earned world-renowned status. Caribbean people are also naturally hospitable, and throughout history, have had to conquer several challenges. Our resilience is well honed."
Gordon "Butch" Stewart, the Chairman of Sandals Resorts which operates several St Lucia, Antigua, Barbados and Jamaica hotels, is pleased to be hosting the World Travel Awards Caribbean and the Americas Ceremony at the Jamaican resort next month.
"At Sandals Resorts, we come from the region, we understand the communities, we understand the quality of the beaches, and we understand the services and standards that the customer now demands," he explained.
"As we celebrate 30 years of providing luxury vacations that exceed expectations, I can say that we are delighted to showcase those services and amenities to the travel industry once again this year."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Come to the Caribbean and take a break from everyday life, as you enjoy 8 days of entertainment at the Grafton Beach...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...