The number of Russians taking Cuba holidays keeps rising
According to a report released by Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) the number of Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays keeps on rising and doubling the figures of past years. To further boost numbers tourism officials in Moscow are making an exhibition
Long after the Soviet years when Cuba and Russia were friends and political allies, it looks like t the two countries may be once again establishing ties, only this time around the interests are quite different, as the Russian visits are from holidaymakers instead of government officials and they come to the island seeking sun, history in culture, instead of forming strategic political bonds.
The Soviets are back, only this time they march to a very different tune than during the perestroika era; now they march through Cuban streets to the rhythms of intoxicating salsa.
According to digital travel magazine, Caribbean News Digital, Russian tourists are flocking the Caribbean island in increasing numbers as more and more tourists from the giant Euro-Asian country take Cuba holidays.
A statement from the representative of Cuba’s Tourism Ministry in Russia revealed that the number of Russian holidaymakers taking holidays to Cuba and staying at a varying range of Cuba hotels and resorts has significantly risen, with figures now close to a total of 46,000 in 2011.
As published in Prensa Latina, according to MINTUR’s representative for Russia and Eastern Europe, Estefania R. Escobar, a total of 45,847 Russian tourists took Cuba holidays this year as of the end of August, twice the figure of 22,840 in 2009 and far higher than the 29,818 number of the same period of 2010.
As a consequence and in order to keep boosting the numbers or Russians going on Cuba holidays, during the month of September 2011, the MINTUR will set up a 40-metre stand at the exhibition hall in Krokus City’s Leisure Tourism Fair, Moscow.
In addition to this, the MINTUR office in Moscow will be carrying out a campaign that started in 2010 under the slogan “Authentic Cuba”, making emphasis on the images Sun, Beaches, Cays, city, history, sports and the arts among other products that show the life in the Caribbean nation.
Mintur and the Havanatur office in Russia are expected to attend the Moscow fair as well as representatives from Cubatur, Iberostar, Barcelo, Cubanacan, Sandals, Hoteles C, Habaguanex and Grand Caribbean.
The head of the Mintur office said that the next Tourism Fair in Cuba (FitCuba-2012), dedicated in this occasion to Argentine, will specially promote holidays in Cuba at the Villa Clara keys. For this purpose, the event will be held in Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Maria Key).
At the end of that tourism fair, scheduled to take place from 26-30 September 2011, Cuba will hold the Turnat Nature 2011, which will be covered by the Russian press.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...