The number of Russians taking Cuba holidays keeps rising
According to a report released by Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) the number of Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays keeps on rising and doubling the figures of past years. To further boost numbers tourism officials in Moscow are making an exhibition
Long after the Soviet years when Cuba and Russia were friends and political allies, it looks like t the two countries may be once again establishing ties, only this time around the interests are quite different, as the Russian visits are from holidaymakers instead of government officials and they come to the island seeking sun, history in culture, instead of forming strategic political bonds.
The Soviets are back, only this time they march to a very different tune than during the perestroika era; now they march through Cuban streets to the rhythms of intoxicating salsa.
According to digital travel magazine, Caribbean News Digital, Russian tourists are flocking the Caribbean island in increasing numbers as more and more tourists from the giant Euro-Asian country take Cuba holidays.
A statement from the representative of Cuba’s Tourism Ministry in Russia revealed that the number of Russian holidaymakers taking holidays to Cuba and staying at a varying range of Cuba hotels and resorts has significantly risen, with figures now close to a total of 46,000 in 2011.
As published in Prensa Latina, according to MINTUR’s representative for Russia and Eastern Europe, Estefania R. Escobar, a total of 45,847 Russian tourists took Cuba holidays this year as of the end of August, twice the figure of 22,840 in 2009 and far higher than the 29,818 number of the same period of 2010.
As a consequence and in order to keep boosting the numbers or Russians going on Cuba holidays, during the month of September 2011, the MINTUR will set up a 40-metre stand at the exhibition hall in Krokus City’s Leisure Tourism Fair, Moscow.
In addition to this, the MINTUR office in Moscow will be carrying out a campaign that started in 2010 under the slogan “Authentic Cuba”, making emphasis on the images Sun, Beaches, Cays, city, history, sports and the arts among other products that show the life in the Caribbean nation.
Mintur and the Havanatur office in Russia are expected to attend the Moscow fair as well as representatives from Cubatur, Iberostar, Barcelo, Cubanacan, Sandals, Hoteles C, Habaguanex and Grand Caribbean.
The head of the Mintur office said that the next Tourism Fair in Cuba (FitCuba-2012), dedicated in this occasion to Argentine, will specially promote holidays in Cuba at the Villa Clara keys. For this purpose, the event will be held in Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Maria Key).
At the end of that tourism fair, scheduled to take place from 26-30 September 2011, Cuba will hold the Turnat Nature 2011, which will be covered by the Russian press.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...