The number of Russians taking Cuba holidays keeps rising
According to a report released by Cuba's Ministry of Tourism (MINTUR) the number of Russian tourists taking Cuba holidays keeps on rising and doubling the figures of past years. To further boost numbers tourism officials in Moscow are making an exhibition
Long after the Soviet years when Cuba and Russia were friends and political allies, it looks like t the two countries may be once again establishing ties, only this time around the interests are quite different, as the Russian visits are from holidaymakers instead of government officials and they come to the island seeking sun, history in culture, instead of forming strategic political bonds.
The Soviets are back, only this time they march to a very different tune than during the perestroika era; now they march through Cuban streets to the rhythms of intoxicating salsa.
According to digital travel magazine, Caribbean News Digital, Russian tourists are flocking the Caribbean island in increasing numbers as more and more tourists from the giant Euro-Asian country take Cuba holidays.
A statement from the representative of Cuba’s Tourism Ministry in Russia revealed that the number of Russian holidaymakers taking holidays to Cuba and staying at a varying range of Cuba hotels and resorts has significantly risen, with figures now close to a total of 46,000 in 2011.
As published in Prensa Latina, according to MINTUR’s representative for Russia and Eastern Europe, Estefania R. Escobar, a total of 45,847 Russian tourists took Cuba holidays this year as of the end of August, twice the figure of 22,840 in 2009 and far higher than the 29,818 number of the same period of 2010.
As a consequence and in order to keep boosting the numbers or Russians going on Cuba holidays, during the month of September 2011, the MINTUR will set up a 40-metre stand at the exhibition hall in Krokus City’s Leisure Tourism Fair, Moscow.
In addition to this, the MINTUR office in Moscow will be carrying out a campaign that started in 2010 under the slogan “Authentic Cuba”, making emphasis on the images Sun, Beaches, Cays, city, history, sports and the arts among other products that show the life in the Caribbean nation.
Mintur and the Havanatur office in Russia are expected to attend the Moscow fair as well as representatives from Cubatur, Iberostar, Barcelo, Cubanacan, Sandals, Hoteles C, Habaguanex and Grand Caribbean.
The head of the Mintur office said that the next Tourism Fair in Cuba (FitCuba-2012), dedicated in this occasion to Argentine, will specially promote holidays in Cuba at the Villa Clara keys. For this purpose, the event will be held in Cayo Santa Maria (Santa Maria Key).
At the end of that tourism fair, scheduled to take place from 26-30 September 2011, Cuba will hold the Turnat Nature 2011, which will be covered by the Russian press.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 10th Jul 2017
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay in two top ranked hotels on a twin centre holiday that blends luxury and historically perfectly to create a holiday of a lifetime
- Take advantage of an amazing room upgrade from a Standard Room to a Sea View Room at NH Capri
- Stay in two of the top ranked hotels in Cuba, perfectly paired to offer you a holiday like no other
- Royalton Hicacos is a luxurious resort located one of the finest beaches in Varadero where there is a little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa and activity program
- NH Capri is located in the heart of cultural Havana and is embroiled in history being one of the most popular hotels with the gangsters of the 1950’s
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...