Egypt selected to host the Indian Ocean edition of the World Travel Awards
On 16th September the Africa and Indian Ocean edition of the World Travel Awards will be held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Sharm El Sheikh is renowned for providing excellent Egypt Holidays and SOHO square is the selected venue.
This is the first time in Egypt’s history it will host the prestigious award ceremony, and it will be held in one of the most favoured tourist destinations for Egypt holidays – Sharm El Sheikh. The ceremony will take place in SOHO square, a lavish entertainment centre owned and run by the Savoy Group.
The award ceremony will be attended by the most prestigious and well known travel organisations within the Africa and Indian travel sector, all competing for the highly acclaimed awards. The nominations have already been made, and over the past few months, voting rounds have taken place, which have significantly cut down the number of contestants to an elite few. Some of the Egypt hotels hoping to land the top prizes include Six Senses, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. However, the awards are not just limited to hotels; with a diverse amount of categories all offering awards.
It is believed that the vital role tourism plays in the Egyptian economy was a deciding factor in selecting Sharm El Sheikh as the place to host the awards. It is estimated that one in eight Egyptian jobs are linked to the tourist industry, and tourism accounts for twelve percent of Egypt’s output. The importance of tourism within the Egyptian economy is largely due to to the fantastic array of attractions the North African country ) has on offer – for example the amazing scuba diving opportunities for people taking holidays in Sharm El Sheikh.
Whilst discussing the selection of Sharm El Sheikh as a host for the award ceremony, World Travel Awards president, Graham Cooke, spoke of the fascinating tourist attractions Egypt possesses but also mentioned the importance these attractions will have in rebuilding the country, after the revolution and turmoil it has experienced this year. Cooke stated “Egypt is a remarkably resilient destination, boasting an incredible array of attractions from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the spectacular diving of the Red Sea and the beaches of Sharm El Sheikh, the City of Peace”.
Moreover, Cooke, further spoke of the importance tourism will play in the new democratic era by stating that the selection of Sharm El Sheikh was not only to recognise the fantastic wonders Egypt holds, but also to send a message, that tourism will be a positive influence on the Egyptian future. He remarked “By attracting the travel industry elite to Sharm El Sheikh for our awards, we aim to showcase not only its world-class attractions and facilities but how tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change”.
In addition, the recent report by the UNWTO Secretary General, Taleb Rifai is also an important assessment, as he stated that “the Egyptian tourism sector is fully operational”. This is important for both the awards ceremony, as well as those wanting planning to embark on Egypt holidays in the near future.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...