Egypt selected to host the Indian Ocean edition of the World Travel Awards
On 16th September the Africa and Indian Ocean edition of the World Travel Awards will be held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt. Sharm El Sheikh is renowned for providing excellent Egypt Holidays and SOHO square is the selected venue.
This is the first time in Egypt’s history it will host the prestigious award ceremony, and it will be held in one of the most favoured tourist destinations for Egypt holidays – Sharm El Sheikh. The ceremony will take place in SOHO square, a lavish entertainment centre owned and run by the Savoy Group.
The award ceremony will be attended by the most prestigious and well known travel organisations within the Africa and Indian travel sector, all competing for the highly acclaimed awards. The nominations have already been made, and over the past few months, voting rounds have taken place, which have significantly cut down the number of contestants to an elite few. Some of the Egypt hotels hoping to land the top prizes include Six Senses, Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton. However, the awards are not just limited to hotels; with a diverse amount of categories all offering awards.
It is believed that the vital role tourism plays in the Egyptian economy was a deciding factor in selecting Sharm El Sheikh as the place to host the awards. It is estimated that one in eight Egyptian jobs are linked to the tourist industry, and tourism accounts for twelve percent of Egypt’s output. The importance of tourism within the Egyptian economy is largely due to to the fantastic array of attractions the North African country ) has on offer – for example the amazing scuba diving opportunities for people taking holidays in Sharm El Sheikh.
Whilst discussing the selection of Sharm El Sheikh as a host for the award ceremony, World Travel Awards president, Graham Cooke, spoke of the fascinating tourist attractions Egypt possesses but also mentioned the importance these attractions will have in rebuilding the country, after the revolution and turmoil it has experienced this year. Cooke stated “Egypt is a remarkably resilient destination, boasting an incredible array of attractions from the Pyramids of Giza and the temples of Luxor to the spectacular diving of the Red Sea and the beaches of Sharm El Sheikh, the City of Peace”.
Moreover, Cooke, further spoke of the importance tourism will play in the new democratic era by stating that the selection of Sharm El Sheikh was not only to recognise the fantastic wonders Egypt holds, but also to send a message, that tourism will be a positive influence on the Egyptian future. He remarked “By attracting the travel industry elite to Sharm El Sheikh for our awards, we aim to showcase not only its world-class attractions and facilities but how tourism is serving as a force for good and a catalyst for change”.
In addition, the recent report by the UNWTO Secretary General, Taleb Rifai is also an important assessment, as he stated that “the Egyptian tourism sector is fully operational”. This is important for both the awards ceremony, as well as those wanting planning to embark on Egypt holidays in the near future.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Ideally located on the eastern bank of the Nile, the hotel offers an oasis of luxury with excellent facilities and beautiful views across the Nile
- This hotel is a haven of relaxation where you can lie back in a sun lounge immersed in one of the hotel's infinity pools or relax in a shaded hammock and take in the views
- There are seven restaurants and bars to chose from including the elegant Sunset Lounge and Terrace which serves cocktails and snacks as well as stunning sunset views
- The Hilton Luxor features contemporary guest rooms, excellent facilities and uninterrupted views across the Nile
Introduce yourself to centuries of history on the River Nile and in Luxor before heading to the world's ancient wonder, the Pyramids and amazing Cairo
- Upgrade to the Full Excursions Package on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise from £199pp
- Great Pyramids of Giza only a stone throw away from the Le Meridien Pyramids
- Enjoy the spectacular views of the River Nile from the Sun Deck on the Superior Swiss Inn Radamis II Nile Cruise
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...