The Caribbean shows Recovery from Recession with New Hotels and Attractions
Tourists planning Caribbean holidays will have more hotels, resorts and attractions to choose from as the region bounces back from the recession. Visitors can take advantage of special all inclusive promotions and holiday reductions over the coming months
The Caribbean is seeing a rise in international tourists following a few turbulent years brought on by the global recession, increased APD, and seasonal hurricanes.
The tropical region has been fighting back despite the series of adverse events and travellers are once again being enticed to take Caribbean holidays as hotels and resorts offer huge discounts and promotions.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, is optimistic about the future of the region and said: “The world may go to hell in a handbasket, but [tourists] still go to the Caribbean. We expect a good winter season.”
He added that one incentive drawing tourists planning holidays to the Caribbean this autumn and winter season is the fact that room rates for Caribbean hotels and resorts are still considerably lower than rates in 2008, before the recession started.
“There are some fantastic deals out there,” Forstmayr explained. "Some all-inclusives are posting deals with rates up to 65 percent off.”
Hugh Riley, the Secretary-General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, commented: “While we had a record number of arrivals in 2010 — 23 million — our members have had to do significant discounting.
“Yes, that’s good for the consumer, and we’re happy they’re here. But it’s very clear we can’t lose $10 on every passenger and keep it up.”
Several all inclusive resorts are seeing an increase in visitors taking Caribbean holidays with many tourists choosing Caribbean packages covering lodging, food, beverages, leisure activities and entertainment.
“Last year was a record year for us, and so were the first four months of 2011,” said Gordon “Butch” Stewart, founder of Sandals Resorts. The company operates 20 luxury properties across the Caribbean providing all inclusive St Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas and Jamaica holidays for families, couples and groups of friends.
New properties are popping up in the Dominican Republic including the 1,800-room Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana which opened its doors in January, 2011; the Salamander Marina and Beach Resort at Cap Cana which is scheduled to open its Fishing Lodge Cap Cana on 1st October, 2011 with 302 Mediterranean-style villas; and Barcelo Bavaro which is due to open a 234-room “golf section” property in Punta Cana in November to serve alongside its newest golf course.
Perhaps the largest Caribbean project currently underway is the huge Baha Mar project on Cable Beach in Nassau, Bahamas. The $3.4 billion complex is said to be the largest single-phase resort development in the Caribbean and is scheduled to open in 2014. The 1,000-acre complex will feature six resorts, a casino and an entertainment and dining complex.
The one area that continues to struggle is the price of Caribbean flights as the rising cost of oil forces up the price of airplane fuel, leading to the rise in airfares.
“It’s our greatest challenge,” Forstmayr said.
New attractions have been introduced to attract travellers taking holidays in the Caribbean including St. Lucia’s first casino, Treasure Bay Casino, a teen club at Atlantis Paradise Island, a mini-submarine in Curaçao, and an automotive museum on Grand Cayman.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...