The Caribbean shows Recovery from Recession with New Hotels and Attractions
Tourists planning Caribbean holidays will have more hotels, resorts and attractions to choose from as the region bounces back from the recession. Visitors can take advantage of special all inclusive promotions and holiday reductions over the coming months
The Caribbean is seeing a rise in international tourists following a few turbulent years brought on by the global recession, increased APD, and seasonal hurricanes.
The tropical region has been fighting back despite the series of adverse events and travellers are once again being enticed to take Caribbean holidays as hotels and resorts offer huge discounts and promotions.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, is optimistic about the future of the region and said: “The world may go to hell in a handbasket, but [tourists] still go to the Caribbean. We expect a good winter season.”
He added that one incentive drawing tourists planning holidays to the Caribbean this autumn and winter season is the fact that room rates for Caribbean hotels and resorts are still considerably lower than rates in 2008, before the recession started.
“There are some fantastic deals out there,” Forstmayr explained. "Some all-inclusives are posting deals with rates up to 65 percent off.”
Hugh Riley, the Secretary-General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, commented: “While we had a record number of arrivals in 2010 — 23 million — our members have had to do significant discounting.
“Yes, that’s good for the consumer, and we’re happy they’re here. But it’s very clear we can’t lose $10 on every passenger and keep it up.”
Several all inclusive resorts are seeing an increase in visitors taking Caribbean holidays with many tourists choosing Caribbean packages covering lodging, food, beverages, leisure activities and entertainment.
“Last year was a record year for us, and so were the first four months of 2011,” said Gordon “Butch” Stewart, founder of Sandals Resorts. The company operates 20 luxury properties across the Caribbean providing all inclusive St Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas and Jamaica holidays for families, couples and groups of friends.
New properties are popping up in the Dominican Republic including the 1,800-room Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana which opened its doors in January, 2011; the Salamander Marina and Beach Resort at Cap Cana which is scheduled to open its Fishing Lodge Cap Cana on 1st October, 2011 with 302 Mediterranean-style villas; and Barcelo Bavaro which is due to open a 234-room “golf section” property in Punta Cana in November to serve alongside its newest golf course.
Perhaps the largest Caribbean project currently underway is the huge Baha Mar project on Cable Beach in Nassau, Bahamas. The $3.4 billion complex is said to be the largest single-phase resort development in the Caribbean and is scheduled to open in 2014. The 1,000-acre complex will feature six resorts, a casino and an entertainment and dining complex.
The one area that continues to struggle is the price of Caribbean flights as the rising cost of oil forces up the price of airplane fuel, leading to the rise in airfares.
“It’s our greatest challenge,” Forstmayr said.
New attractions have been introduced to attract travellers taking holidays in the Caribbean including St. Lucia’s first casino, Treasure Bay Casino, a teen club at Atlantis Paradise Island, a mini-submarine in Curaçao, and an automotive museum on Grand Cayman.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...