The Caribbean shows Recovery from Recession with New Hotels and Attractions
Tourists planning Caribbean holidays will have more hotels, resorts and attractions to choose from as the region bounces back from the recession. Visitors can take advantage of special all inclusive promotions and holiday reductions over the coming months
The Caribbean is seeing a rise in international tourists following a few turbulent years brought on by the global recession, increased APD, and seasonal hurricanes.
The tropical region has been fighting back despite the series of adverse events and travellers are once again being enticed to take Caribbean holidays as hotels and resorts offer huge discounts and promotions.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, is optimistic about the future of the region and said: “The world may go to hell in a handbasket, but [tourists] still go to the Caribbean. We expect a good winter season.”
He added that one incentive drawing tourists planning holidays to the Caribbean this autumn and winter season is the fact that room rates for Caribbean hotels and resorts are still considerably lower than rates in 2008, before the recession started.
“There are some fantastic deals out there,” Forstmayr explained. "Some all-inclusives are posting deals with rates up to 65 percent off.”
Hugh Riley, the Secretary-General of the Caribbean Tourism Organisation, commented: “While we had a record number of arrivals in 2010 — 23 million — our members have had to do significant discounting.
“Yes, that’s good for the consumer, and we’re happy they’re here. But it’s very clear we can’t lose $10 on every passenger and keep it up.”
Several all inclusive resorts are seeing an increase in visitors taking Caribbean holidays with many tourists choosing Caribbean packages covering lodging, food, beverages, leisure activities and entertainment.
“Last year was a record year for us, and so were the first four months of 2011,” said Gordon “Butch” Stewart, founder of Sandals Resorts. The company operates 20 luxury properties across the Caribbean providing all inclusive St Lucia, Antigua, Bahamas and Jamaica holidays for families, couples and groups of friends.
New properties are popping up in the Dominican Republic including the 1,800-room Hard Rock Hotel and Casino in Punta Cana which opened its doors in January, 2011; the Salamander Marina and Beach Resort at Cap Cana which is scheduled to open its Fishing Lodge Cap Cana on 1st October, 2011 with 302 Mediterranean-style villas; and Barcelo Bavaro which is due to open a 234-room “golf section” property in Punta Cana in November to serve alongside its newest golf course.
Perhaps the largest Caribbean project currently underway is the huge Baha Mar project on Cable Beach in Nassau, Bahamas. The $3.4 billion complex is said to be the largest single-phase resort development in the Caribbean and is scheduled to open in 2014. The 1,000-acre complex will feature six resorts, a casino and an entertainment and dining complex.
The one area that continues to struggle is the price of Caribbean flights as the rising cost of oil forces up the price of airplane fuel, leading to the rise in airfares.
“It’s our greatest challenge,” Forstmayr said.
New attractions have been introduced to attract travellers taking holidays in the Caribbean including St. Lucia’s first casino, Treasure Bay Casino, a teen club at Atlantis Paradise Island, a mini-submarine in Curaçao, and an automotive museum on Grand Cayman.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Now Onyx Punta Cana is brand new resort opening in November 2016 and aims to offer a vibrant and active Unlimited-Luxury...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Halcyon Palm offers...
Visit the beautiful south coast of Barbados and spend 7 days relaxing at the charming Butterfly Beach Hotel which is...