Dubai to host First Leg of Fina Swimming World Cup Series in October
Swimming enthusiasts will be getting ready to book their Dubai holidays as it is revealed that the emirate will be hosting the opening of the Fina Swimming World Cup in October 2011 before the contest moves onto Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo.
Dubai is set to see an increased influx of visitors in October after it was announced that the city would be hosting the opening of the FINA/ARENA Swimming World Cup 2011.
The seven-leg World Cup series is expected to attract competitors and their supporters from all over the world to the United Arab Emirate.
The event will take place at the Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Sports Complex on 7th and 8th October 2011 where swimming enthusiasts will be able to cheer on their teams during Dubai holidays.
Dr Ahmed Saad Al Sharif, the Secretary General of Dubai Sports Council, said: “It is a great honour to be hosting this fantastic event for the first time in Dubai.
“We hosted a wonderfully successful FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships at the end of last year where some of the biggest names in swimming at the moment such as Ryan Lochte thrilled the crowds with world record-breaking performances.
"I have no doubt that we will once again witness some incredible action over the two days in October.”
Ahmed Al Falasi, President of the UAE Swimming Federation, added that they are looking forward to seeing both international tourists watching the swimming events during their holidays in Dubai, and local residents supporting their nation.
“With so many nationalities living in Dubai, we are encouraging spectators to come out and show their support for their teams as they take each other on in this spectacular state-of-the-art venue which is still new to many.”
“And of course, we will all be cheering on our own UAE swimmers as they take on the world,” added Al Falasi.
The swimming competition is divided into 34 individual races in a 25m pool and the winner of each will receive a prize of $1,500. Swimmers taking second and third place in each race will receive $1,000 and $500, respectively resulting in a total prize pool of US$102,000 on offer from the United Arab Emirates Swimming Federation.
Swimmers taking part in the World Cup will also have the chance to win US$10,000 for each new world record set at the event.
Dubai hotels are likely to be packed throughout the two-day event which will bring tourists from all over the globe to the thriving UAE city. After its opening in Dubai, the contest will move onto Stockholm, Moscow, Berlin, Singapore, Beijing and Tokyo.
The emirate offers plenty of activities for visitors taking Dubai holidays including the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest structure that features nine luxury Dubai hotels and an impressive fountain system; the Dubai Marina; Wild Wadi Park; the Dubai Mall; and traditional markets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Free Half Board
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Exlusive Free Half Board upgrade (book by 11 November 2017)!!!
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Exclusive Added Values in Mauritius: Dinner on the beach for two with fresh fruits on arrival in the room (book by 20 December)
- Intercontinental Mauritius is located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai, the only hotel with a restaurant that has a 360 degree view
Habtoor Grand Resort & Spa enjoys a fabulous location beside the world famous Jumeirah Beach overlooking the Dubai...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The first Sofitel SO brand in the world is a luxury Eco resort, set in an oasis of nature in the south of Mauritius,...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
With all the modern facilities and comforts you would expect from a 4* hotel, this hotel is set within central Al Barsha...