Dubai to host First Leg of Fina Swimming World Cup Series in October
Swimming enthusiasts will be getting ready to book their Dubai holidays as it is revealed that the emirate will be hosting the opening of the Fina Swimming World Cup in October 2011 before the contest moves onto Berlin, Moscow and Tokyo.
Dubai is set to see an increased influx of visitors in October after it was announced that the city would be hosting the opening of the FINA/ARENA Swimming World Cup 2011.
The seven-leg World Cup series is expected to attract competitors and their supporters from all over the world to the United Arab Emirate.
The event will take place at the Hamdan bin Mohammed bin Rashid Sports Complex on 7th and 8th October 2011 where swimming enthusiasts will be able to cheer on their teams during Dubai holidays.
Dr Ahmed Saad Al Sharif, the Secretary General of Dubai Sports Council, said: “It is a great honour to be hosting this fantastic event for the first time in Dubai.
“We hosted a wonderfully successful FINA World Short Course Swimming Championships at the end of last year where some of the biggest names in swimming at the moment such as Ryan Lochte thrilled the crowds with world record-breaking performances.
"I have no doubt that we will once again witness some incredible action over the two days in October.”
Ahmed Al Falasi, President of the UAE Swimming Federation, added that they are looking forward to seeing both international tourists watching the swimming events during their holidays in Dubai, and local residents supporting their nation.
“With so many nationalities living in Dubai, we are encouraging spectators to come out and show their support for their teams as they take each other on in this spectacular state-of-the-art venue which is still new to many.”
“And of course, we will all be cheering on our own UAE swimmers as they take on the world,” added Al Falasi.
The swimming competition is divided into 34 individual races in a 25m pool and the winner of each will receive a prize of $1,500. Swimmers taking second and third place in each race will receive $1,000 and $500, respectively resulting in a total prize pool of US$102,000 on offer from the United Arab Emirates Swimming Federation.
Swimmers taking part in the World Cup will also have the chance to win US$10,000 for each new world record set at the event.
Dubai hotels are likely to be packed throughout the two-day event which will bring tourists from all over the globe to the thriving UAE city. After its opening in Dubai, the contest will move onto Stockholm, Moscow, Berlin, Singapore, Beijing and Tokyo.
The emirate offers plenty of activities for visitors taking Dubai holidays including the Burj Khalifa, the world’s tallest structure that features nine luxury Dubai hotels and an impressive fountain system; the Dubai Marina; Wild Wadi Park; the Dubai Mall; and traditional markets.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
Bask in private palm-lined beach glory that's just 15 minutes from the Dubai Marina in a place where it's all included
- Choose from excellent restaurants serving a variety of world cuisines including French, Mediterranean and Thai
- Go for a round of golf at the onsite 9-hole Golf course or explore the are on horseback
- book your stay including tickets to the family entertainment park Dubai Parks & Resort - ask our team now
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...