Jamie Theakston Discovers Celebrity-Free Side to Barbados holidays
Barbados holidays are not just about white sand beaches packed with bronzed celebrities or overpriced luxury resorts. TV presenter, Jamie Theakston, visited the Caribbean island with his family to unveil the real beauty of the sunny destination.
The island of Barbados has always been a hotspot for wealthy celebrities seeking sun, sea and sand while enjoying the luxury of their Caribbean holiday homes.
The tropical destination has been linked with the likes of Cliff Richard, Michael Winner and Simon Cowell, but there is more to Barbados than luxurious resorts, trendy beaches and celebrity spotting, as TV and radio presenter Jamie Theakston recently found out during his Barbados holidays, which he enjoyed with his wife and two children.
After being persuaded by his wife, Sophie, to ditch their usual trip to the Indian Ocean and head off to Barbados, Jamie admits he was reluctant at first because of the reputation the island has acquired as a hangout for wealthy celebrities.
However, once the family arrived on the beautiful island they soon began to enjoy the delights the nation has to offer regular, run-of-the-mill tourists taking holidays to Barbados.
The family opted to spend one week in a self catering apartment at Crystal Springs and one week at one of the most family-friendly luxury Barbados hotels, The Tamarind.
Jamie explained in an article for the Daily Mail: “Crystal Springs, one of the largest rental villas in Barbados, is situated in two acres of gardens with its own private cove and is just a five-minute drive from the shops and restaurants at Holetown.
“It is a fantastic property and proved a great choice for a holiday with our two young children, my parents and the whole extended family - there were 14 of us altogether. We hadn't intended being such a big group but we started inviting relatives along when we saw the size of some of the properties available.”
During his Caribbean holidays in Barbados, Jamie bypassed the renowned Sandy Lane beach which is often packed with sculpted Hollywood stars and celebrities, and instead headed to the quieter side of the Caribbean island with his family.
“We hired Mini Mokes for the entire fortnight and one day decided to go on an island tour. We drove to the south coast, which is markedly different from the rest of the island - it's more like Torremolinos,” he wrote.
“I was surprised how different again we discovered the east coast to be. Instead of the smart west coast's lovely restaurants and posh hotels, the Atlantic coast has very little apart from a hotel and restaurant called the Atlantis, owned by the same people who own The Fish Pot.”
He added: “On another outing, we took the children to a nature reserve, where they thoroughly enjoyed seeing monkeys and snakes.”
As the family neared the end of their Barbados holidays, Jamie concluded: “A choice between the Maldives and Barbados is tricky. While the Maldives is perfect for a romantic break for couples, I would opt for Barbados when travelling with kids or a group of friends. It's more social, with more fun bars and things to do.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Free room upgrade to next available room
- Savings of upto 45% now available plus up to two children stay and play FREE
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
Discover intimate and traditional Bajan flavour at The Club Barbados Resort and Spa
- Ambient and Tranquil Resort that has a signature Spa, two restaurants & three bars including a true Bajan rum shop
- Adults-Only, All Inclusive Resort located on Barbado's West Coast
- Save up to 50% off with the May FLASH SALE
- Complimentary water sports are included from water skiing, windsurfing, hobbie-cats, paddle boarding, snorkelling & reef fishing
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...