Jamie Theakston Discovers Celebrity-Free Side to Barbados holidays
Barbados holidays are not just about white sand beaches packed with bronzed celebrities or overpriced luxury resorts. TV presenter, Jamie Theakston, visited the Caribbean island with his family to unveil the real beauty of the sunny destination.
The island of Barbados has always been a hotspot for wealthy celebrities seeking sun, sea and sand while enjoying the luxury of their Caribbean holiday homes.
The tropical destination has been linked with the likes of Cliff Richard, Michael Winner and Simon Cowell, but there is more to Barbados than luxurious resorts, trendy beaches and celebrity spotting, as TV and radio presenter Jamie Theakston recently found out during his Barbados holidays, which he enjoyed with his wife and two children.
After being persuaded by his wife, Sophie, to ditch their usual trip to the Indian Ocean and head off to Barbados, Jamie admits he was reluctant at first because of the reputation the island has acquired as a hangout for wealthy celebrities.
However, once the family arrived on the beautiful island they soon began to enjoy the delights the nation has to offer regular, run-of-the-mill tourists taking holidays to Barbados.
The family opted to spend one week in a self catering apartment at Crystal Springs and one week at one of the most family-friendly luxury Barbados hotels, The Tamarind.
Jamie explained in an article for the Daily Mail: “Crystal Springs, one of the largest rental villas in Barbados, is situated in two acres of gardens with its own private cove and is just a five-minute drive from the shops and restaurants at Holetown.
“It is a fantastic property and proved a great choice for a holiday with our two young children, my parents and the whole extended family - there were 14 of us altogether. We hadn't intended being such a big group but we started inviting relatives along when we saw the size of some of the properties available.”
During his Caribbean holidays in Barbados, Jamie bypassed the renowned Sandy Lane beach which is often packed with sculpted Hollywood stars and celebrities, and instead headed to the quieter side of the Caribbean island with his family.
“We hired Mini Mokes for the entire fortnight and one day decided to go on an island tour. We drove to the south coast, which is markedly different from the rest of the island - it's more like Torremolinos,” he wrote.
“I was surprised how different again we discovered the east coast to be. Instead of the smart west coast's lovely restaurants and posh hotels, the Atlantic coast has very little apart from a hotel and restaurant called the Atlantis, owned by the same people who own The Fish Pot.”
He added: “On another outing, we took the children to a nature reserve, where they thoroughly enjoyed seeing monkeys and snakes.”
As the family neared the end of their Barbados holidays, Jamie concluded: “A choice between the Maldives and Barbados is tricky. While the Maldives is perfect for a romantic break for couples, I would opt for Barbados when travelling with kids or a group of friends. It's more social, with more fun bars and things to do.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Be perfectly positioned just a heartbeat away from all the action in Bridgetown and The Gap at Coconut Court Beach Hotel
- The family run hotel prides itself on the exceptionally friendly welcome staff extend to all guests
- Stay and Enjoy FREE transfers, FREE Bottle of Pirate Punch on arrival, A FREE bottle of Sparkling Wine for Honeymooners and FREE transfers to Bridgetown for shopping
- Only a short distance from the capital of Bridgetown and St Lawrence Gap; places with lively nightlife and world class restaurants and shops
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Just 25 minutes to the capital Bridgetown and 10 minutes from the airport
- New Special offer! Discounted Rates plus come check out the upgraded in room facilities!
- Benefit from the self catering service or the fabulous restaurant offering international and Caribbean cuisine
- The Butterfly Beach Hotel is set beside Oistin's Bay with access to two white sand beaches
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, Almond Beach Resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
- Enjoy a Complimentary Island Safari Tour, A fantastic FREE power Boat Trip with a Swim With Turtles and a FREE Half day Island Coach Tour
Enjoy Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels, the all-suite resort thats warm service and superb facilities that complete a fun-filled holiday to beautiful Barbados
- NEW! From October 2017 Enjoy complimentary daily* rounds of Golf with round trip transportation and clubs are included
- Includes all meals, snacks and drinks as well as non-motorised water sports and Flying Fish Kids Club
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 16 and under stay, play and eat free
- Enjoy five onsite restaurants and bars, or dine-around privileges at other participating Elegant Hotels
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...
Everyone dreams about a holiday with their loved one or family where they can enjoy unlimited sunshine on an idyllic...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...