Kate Winslet Plays Real Life Heroine As Fire Breaks Out on Branson's Necker Island
Hollywood actress Kate Winslet has escaped a raging fire on Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean in the early hours of Monday morning. The actress was enjoying her Caribbean holidays with her two sons when lightening struck the Great House.
Richard Branson’s luxurious Caribbean home has been reduced to ashes and debris after a fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.
While Hurricane Irene raged through the region, lightening struck the Great House on Necker Island, causing it to catch fire. Hollywood actress Kate Winslet and her two sons were spending their Caribbean holidays as guests on the private island when they were woken by Branson’s 25-year-old son, Sam, who had heard explosions coming from the stone and wood mansion.
The Virgin business tycoon was staying in a villa 100 yards from the house with his wife and son. When the alarm was raised, Branson ran naked towards the flames which broke out just before 4am.
Among the people who had been enjoying their holidays in the British Virgin Islands at the luxury retreat were Branson’s 29-year-old daughter, Holly who is planning to get married on the island later this year, and several of his nephews, nieces and friends.
Speaking to ITV News, the 61-year-old billionaire said: “Around 20 people were in the house and they all managed to get out and they are all fine.
“We had a really bad tropical storm with winds up to 90mph. A big lightning storm came around 4am and hit the house. It took hold incredibly quickly, with flames 100ft high. It ripped through the house very quickly.
“Sam heard explosions in the main house and raised the alarm. He and my nephew Jack rushed to the house and helped get everyone out.
“Kate Winslet, her boyfriend and her family were there and Holly and some of her friends were also staying. My mother was there and they managed to get her out and she is fine.
“The main house is completely destroyed and the fire is not yet completely out. My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs and my notebooks, which is very sad. But all family and friends are well – which in the end is all that really matters.”
Winslet gave an Oscar-winning performance after rescuing Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eve, from the flames and crumbling building.
Branson commented on Winslet’s star role during the incident and said: “It was she who carried my mother out of the house. She said it was like being on a film set where you’re waiting for the words “cut” but they just don’t come. So it was quite surreal for her to be in a real-life situation.
“She carried my Mum out of the house. My Mum is 90 and can walk but it was more just to speed the process up than anything else but anyway, she was great. She swept her up into her arms and got them out of the house as fast as possible.”
Necker Island is Branson’s official residence and his family and friends regularly take holidays to the British Virgin Islands. He rents out the Great House and surrounding shacks from $33,000 a night to wealthy and high profile guests seeking private Caribbean holidays. The island boasts white sand beaches, lush green tropical surroundings and turquoise ocean waters.
Branson added that he plans to rebuild the house, saying: “It’s very much the Dunkirk Spirit here. We want to rebuild the house as soon as we can. We have a wonderful staff here and we want them to stay in work.
“There’s a lot of damage and we won’t be able to stick it back together again right away. It was a beautiful house.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...