Kate Winslet Plays Real Life Heroine As Fire Breaks Out on Branson's Necker Island
Hollywood actress Kate Winslet has escaped a raging fire on Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean in the early hours of Monday morning. The actress was enjoying her Caribbean holidays with her two sons when lightening struck the Great House.
Richard Branson’s luxurious Caribbean home has been reduced to ashes and debris after a fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.
While Hurricane Irene raged through the region, lightening struck the Great House on Necker Island, causing it to catch fire. Hollywood actress Kate Winslet and her two sons were spending their Caribbean holidays as guests on the private island when they were woken by Branson’s 25-year-old son, Sam, who had heard explosions coming from the stone and wood mansion.
The Virgin business tycoon was staying in a villa 100 yards from the house with his wife and son. When the alarm was raised, Branson ran naked towards the flames which broke out just before 4am.
Among the people who had been enjoying their holidays in the British Virgin Islands at the luxury retreat were Branson’s 29-year-old daughter, Holly who is planning to get married on the island later this year, and several of his nephews, nieces and friends.
Speaking to ITV News, the 61-year-old billionaire said: “Around 20 people were in the house and they all managed to get out and they are all fine.
“We had a really bad tropical storm with winds up to 90mph. A big lightning storm came around 4am and hit the house. It took hold incredibly quickly, with flames 100ft high. It ripped through the house very quickly.
“Sam heard explosions in the main house and raised the alarm. He and my nephew Jack rushed to the house and helped get everyone out.
“Kate Winslet, her boyfriend and her family were there and Holly and some of her friends were also staying. My mother was there and they managed to get her out and she is fine.
“The main house is completely destroyed and the fire is not yet completely out. My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs and my notebooks, which is very sad. But all family and friends are well – which in the end is all that really matters.”
Winslet gave an Oscar-winning performance after rescuing Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eve, from the flames and crumbling building.
Branson commented on Winslet’s star role during the incident and said: “It was she who carried my mother out of the house. She said it was like being on a film set where you’re waiting for the words “cut” but they just don’t come. So it was quite surreal for her to be in a real-life situation.
“She carried my Mum out of the house. My Mum is 90 and can walk but it was more just to speed the process up than anything else but anyway, she was great. She swept her up into her arms and got them out of the house as fast as possible.”
Necker Island is Branson’s official residence and his family and friends regularly take holidays to the British Virgin Islands. He rents out the Great House and surrounding shacks from $33,000 a night to wealthy and high profile guests seeking private Caribbean holidays. The island boasts white sand beaches, lush green tropical surroundings and turquoise ocean waters.
Branson added that he plans to rebuild the house, saying: “It’s very much the Dunkirk Spirit here. We want to rebuild the house as soon as we can. We have a wonderful staff here and we want them to stay in work.
“There’s a lot of damage and we won’t be able to stick it back together again right away. It was a beautiful house.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Under 17's Stay, Play and Eat free at this magnificent resort sure to make for a holiday of a lifetime
- Enjoy fantastic access to the newly opening Grand Section which includes ten new restaurants and 6 bars, a waterpark, a new spa with 64 treatment rooms, a theatre and a bowling alley, plus another Playroom Kids’ club and Wired Teens lounge worth $1400
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...