Kate Winslet Plays Real Life Heroine As Fire Breaks Out on Branson's Necker Island
Hollywood actress Kate Winslet has escaped a raging fire on Richard Branson's private island in the Caribbean in the early hours of Monday morning. The actress was enjoying her Caribbean holidays with her two sons when lightening struck the Great House.
Richard Branson’s luxurious Caribbean home has been reduced to ashes and debris after a fire broke out in the early hours of Monday morning.
While Hurricane Irene raged through the region, lightening struck the Great House on Necker Island, causing it to catch fire. Hollywood actress Kate Winslet and her two sons were spending their Caribbean holidays as guests on the private island when they were woken by Branson’s 25-year-old son, Sam, who had heard explosions coming from the stone and wood mansion.
The Virgin business tycoon was staying in a villa 100 yards from the house with his wife and son. When the alarm was raised, Branson ran naked towards the flames which broke out just before 4am.
Among the people who had been enjoying their holidays in the British Virgin Islands at the luxury retreat were Branson’s 29-year-old daughter, Holly who is planning to get married on the island later this year, and several of his nephews, nieces and friends.
Speaking to ITV News, the 61-year-old billionaire said: “Around 20 people were in the house and they all managed to get out and they are all fine.
“We had a really bad tropical storm with winds up to 90mph. A big lightning storm came around 4am and hit the house. It took hold incredibly quickly, with flames 100ft high. It ripped through the house very quickly.
“Sam heard explosions in the main house and raised the alarm. He and my nephew Jack rushed to the house and helped get everyone out.
“Kate Winslet, her boyfriend and her family were there and Holly and some of her friends were also staying. My mother was there and they managed to get her out and she is fine.
“The main house is completely destroyed and the fire is not yet completely out. My office was based in the house and I have lost thousands of photographs and my notebooks, which is very sad. But all family and friends are well – which in the end is all that really matters.”
Winslet gave an Oscar-winning performance after rescuing Branson’s 90-year-old mother, Eve, from the flames and crumbling building.
Branson commented on Winslet’s star role during the incident and said: “It was she who carried my mother out of the house. She said it was like being on a film set where you’re waiting for the words “cut” but they just don’t come. So it was quite surreal for her to be in a real-life situation.
“She carried my Mum out of the house. My Mum is 90 and can walk but it was more just to speed the process up than anything else but anyway, she was great. She swept her up into her arms and got them out of the house as fast as possible.”
Necker Island is Branson’s official residence and his family and friends regularly take holidays to the British Virgin Islands. He rents out the Great House and surrounding shacks from $33,000 a night to wealthy and high profile guests seeking private Caribbean holidays. The island boasts white sand beaches, lush green tropical surroundings and turquoise ocean waters.
Branson added that he plans to rebuild the house, saying: “It’s very much the Dunkirk Spirit here. We want to rebuild the house as soon as we can. We have a wonderful staff here and we want them to stay in work.
“There’s a lot of damage and we won’t be able to stick it back together again right away. It was a beautiful house.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Come to the beautiful island of Barbados and feel the magic of the Caribbean sun. Seven rejuvenating days in the...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...