Visa and Lonely Planet team up to help Egypt holidays regain their popularity
Lonely Planet and Visa teamed up to create a microsite which will aid travellers when making their holiday plans. The site will offer up-to-date and reliable information on specific destinations, and will persuade more tourists to take Egypt holidays.
Lonely Planet and Visa have decided to become partners in the creation of a brand new microsite which will offer expert information on destinations, and the easiest and most efficient way to access money abroad. This micro-website, designed to aid travellers while making holiday plans, will also help Egypt holidays' popularity rise once more.
Through this microsite, holidaymakers can access specialised and up-to-date information through one reliable source, which combines knowledge from Lonely Planet and Visa´s travel experts. This new site will cover all the essentials travellers will need to plan holidays to any of the following 12 worldwide holiday destinations: Australia, China, Croatia, Egypt, Lebanon, Morocco, Russia, Singapore, South Africa, Thailand, the United Arab Emirates and Ukraine.
This website is every holidaymaker's dream, featuring an ATM locator, suggested trip schedules and a calendar of events for each destination. In case of any doubts arising, visitors will be able to “Ask the Expert” about their next holiday adventure and receive individual answers from Lonely Planet’s travel advisors. Those who subscribe to this microsite will also get free desktops applications including a countdown clock, local weather and currency information as well as links to promotions before departure.
This joint project isn't only a marketing strategy, Visa stated that one of its main goals was to help support the Egyptian tourism industry, which has suffered a harsh blow since the uprising on 25th January. Last year, around 12.7 million travellers went on holidays to Egypt, generating a great flow of monetary income to the country’s economoy, constituting for over 11 per cent of the country's GDP in 2010.
Unfortunately these high figures have decreased quite a lot in 2011. Hazem El- Beblawi told, Finance Minister, said the Egyptian government’s tourism revenues would only come up to $10 billion on the financial year that begun on 1st July, opposed to the $11.6 billion in 2009/2010.
The country’s financial state has suffered in 2011; in April the number of tourists spending holidays in Egypt descended 35.7 per cent compared to last year’s figure that month. Nevertheless, the partnership between Visa and Lonely Planet seeks to lend a helpful hand to the country’s ailing holiday industry.
Tarek Elhousseiny, Visa’s general manger for North and West Africa explains that the company’s main goal is to aid their cardholders around the globe. “At Visa,” he says “we’re continually seeking opportunities to provide our cardholders with value-added benefits beyond the convenience, security and global acceptance that they’ve come to rely on.”
He insists that the partnership will help give Egypt a tourism boost, and will get the visitor rates of Egypt holidays back up again. “By working with Lonely Planet, Visa has launched yet another initiative to help support tourism in Egypt which will benefit all stakeholders: local merchants and banks, those in the tourism industry as well as Visa cardholders. We look forward to exploring new ways to support tourism in Egypt and provide Visa cardholders with great benefits along the way.”
“Our travel research indicated that seven out of 10 travellers use the internet as their primary channel for planning their holidays. The challenge though, is finding up-to-date and dependable information. By teaming up with Lonely Planet, we are able to provide trusted, accurate and to-the-day information for travellers to plan their holidays.” said Ross Jackson, Head of the Cross-Border Business for Asia Pacific, Central Europe, Middle East and Africa at Visa.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...