CHTA Celebrates 50th Anniversary with Commemorative Book
The Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) has commissioned HCP/Aboard Publishing to write a book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region's tourism industry, to mark the CHTA's 50th Anniversary next year.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, HCP/Aboard Publishing has been selected to write and print a commemorative book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region’s extensive tourism industry.
The book will be titled ‘From Pirates to Hoteliers’ and will bring to life significant events, places, programmes, people and traditions that all play a vital role in the Caribbean experience. The book celebrates the tourism industry that has helped with the development of the region’s economy and the success of Caribbean holidays over the decades.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, said: “We chose HCP/Aboard after several months of an exhaustive search for a company with the right resources to help write, print and assist with the funding of this important historic project.
“As part of our celebrations CHTA is commissioning HCP to print a glossy, 200+ page coffee-table quality book to record the events of the past 50 years in the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry.”
The book will include an introduction written by the President of the CHTA and will feature historic images that mark key events throughout Caribbean history, with stories that date back to the earliest visitors to the Caribbean. These include the famous “pirates of the Caribbean”, the first international tourists to the islands, who rather than spending holidays in the Caribbean used them for burying their treasures. The book’s record of visitors also mentions the increase in tourism numbers following the Cuban revolution, the formation of the CHTA, and the more recent development of Caribbean islands being transformed into destinations for luxury holidays.
Several of the book’s chapters will be written by famous author and Executive Director of the Caribbean Council for Europe, David Jessop. The book will be released at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference (CHTIC), which is scheduled to take place in April 2012 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association was founded in 1962 and represents the private sector of the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry including 26 national Caribbean hotel associations. The CHTA has 850 members from Caribbean hotels and resorts and offers approximately 125,500 rooms across the beautiful region.
The association organises numerous tourism-related annual events for its members, and offers a selection of training programmes and scholarships for Caribbean nationals through its Education Foundation.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Explore two different sides of Cuba with excellent range of facilities and entertainments
- Explore downtown Havana and enjoy a comfortable and relaxing stay in your legendary Havana Hotel
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Enjoy non-motorised watersports including: windsurfing, sailing and snorkeling at Iberostar Tainos
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...