CHTA Celebrates 50th Anniversary with Commemorative Book
The Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) has commissioned HCP/Aboard Publishing to write a book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region's tourism industry, to mark the CHTA's 50th Anniversary next year.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, HCP/Aboard Publishing has been selected to write and print a commemorative book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region’s extensive tourism industry.
The book will be titled ‘From Pirates to Hoteliers’ and will bring to life significant events, places, programmes, people and traditions that all play a vital role in the Caribbean experience. The book celebrates the tourism industry that has helped with the development of the region’s economy and the success of Caribbean holidays over the decades.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, said: “We chose HCP/Aboard after several months of an exhaustive search for a company with the right resources to help write, print and assist with the funding of this important historic project.
“As part of our celebrations CHTA is commissioning HCP to print a glossy, 200+ page coffee-table quality book to record the events of the past 50 years in the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry.”
The book will include an introduction written by the President of the CHTA and will feature historic images that mark key events throughout Caribbean history, with stories that date back to the earliest visitors to the Caribbean. These include the famous “pirates of the Caribbean”, the first international tourists to the islands, who rather than spending holidays in the Caribbean used them for burying their treasures. The book’s record of visitors also mentions the increase in tourism numbers following the Cuban revolution, the formation of the CHTA, and the more recent development of Caribbean islands being transformed into destinations for luxury holidays.
Several of the book’s chapters will be written by famous author and Executive Director of the Caribbean Council for Europe, David Jessop. The book will be released at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference (CHTIC), which is scheduled to take place in April 2012 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association was founded in 1962 and represents the private sector of the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry including 26 national Caribbean hotel associations. The CHTA has 850 members from Caribbean hotels and resorts and offers approximately 125,500 rooms across the beautiful region.
The association organises numerous tourism-related annual events for its members, and offers a selection of training programmes and scholarships for Caribbean nationals through its Education Foundation.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...