CHTA Celebrates 50th Anniversary with Commemorative Book
The Caribbean Hotel & Tourism Association (CHTA) has commissioned HCP/Aboard Publishing to write a book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region's tourism industry, to mark the CHTA's 50th Anniversary next year.
To celebrate the 50th Anniversary of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, HCP/Aboard Publishing has been selected to write and print a commemorative book about the history of Caribbean holidays and the region’s extensive tourism industry.
The book will be titled ‘From Pirates to Hoteliers’ and will bring to life significant events, places, programmes, people and traditions that all play a vital role in the Caribbean experience. The book celebrates the tourism industry that has helped with the development of the region’s economy and the success of Caribbean holidays over the decades.
President of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr, said: “We chose HCP/Aboard after several months of an exhaustive search for a company with the right resources to help write, print and assist with the funding of this important historic project.
“As part of our celebrations CHTA is commissioning HCP to print a glossy, 200+ page coffee-table quality book to record the events of the past 50 years in the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry.”
The book will include an introduction written by the President of the CHTA and will feature historic images that mark key events throughout Caribbean history, with stories that date back to the earliest visitors to the Caribbean. These include the famous “pirates of the Caribbean”, the first international tourists to the islands, who rather than spending holidays in the Caribbean used them for burying their treasures. The book’s record of visitors also mentions the increase in tourism numbers following the Cuban revolution, the formation of the CHTA, and the more recent development of Caribbean islands being transformed into destinations for luxury holidays.
Several of the book’s chapters will be written by famous author and Executive Director of the Caribbean Council for Europe, David Jessop. The book will be released at the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Investment Conference (CHTIC), which is scheduled to take place in April 2012 in San Juan, Puerto Rico.
The Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association was founded in 1962 and represents the private sector of the Caribbean hospitality and tourism industry including 26 national Caribbean hotel associations. The CHTA has 850 members from Caribbean hotels and resorts and offers approximately 125,500 rooms across the beautiful region.
The association organises numerous tourism-related annual events for its members, and offers a selection of training programmes and scholarships for Caribbean nationals through its Education Foundation.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...