Egypt to be the host of World Tourism Day 2011
The Egyptian city of Aswan will be the host of World Tourism Day 2011. The celebration's main aim will be to raise the awareness of the impact of tourism in society. It will also be a great opportunity for Egypt holidays to regain their huge popularity.
This year, World Tourism Day (WTD) celebrations will be held in the Egyptian city of Aswan. The 2011 theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures” will include a High-Level Think Tank. The recent unstable political circumstances in Egypt were a hard blow on the country’s tourism industry and thus this celebration is a wonderful opportunity to once again give a boost to the popularity of Egypt holidays.
The celebration of World Tourism Day takes place annually on 27th September. Its main purpose is to promote awareness of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and environmental significance in the world. This years’ festivity will also help the international community to see Egypt’s re-stabilisation, and make eager visitors interested in taking holidays to Egypt once again.
“It is most fitting that Egypt, home to some of the world’s most celebrated cultural heritage and a leading tourism destination, be the host country for the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011,” said the UNWTO Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai, announcing the news.
Egypt is an internationally-famed destination due to its rich history and astounding culture, making Egypt holidays one of the most popular holiday spots plans for tourists, throughout the years. It is exactly this exchange between the people and the cultures of the world that is at the heart of the WTD 2011 theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures.”
The Minister of Egypt Tourism, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour , expressed the nation´s delight in being able to host this major tourism event. He thinks that holding these celebrations will help the country´s tourism industry recover, as well as persuade more travellers to enjoy holidays in Egypt.
“We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of the World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular,” he said
Some of the planned activities on World Tourism Day 2011 include A High-Level Think Tank. Through the Think Tank, public, private tourism stakeholders, academic circles and media will be able to address the part tourism plays in building understanding, respect and acceptance around the globe.
Another one of the exciting activities that will take place during the event is the annual WTD Photo Competition, which awards as first prize a round-trip to Egypt, giving the winner a delightful opportunity to enjoy holidays in the country, and stay in one of the many luxurious Egypt hotels. UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation) has also launched the first ever WTD Twitter Competition, which asks people to ‘tweet’ about how they think tourism can link cultures. The winning entries will be announced on the official programme handed out during the event’s festivities.
There are more great surprises for the Egyptian tourism industry this September. Even after the political upheaval, and the country’s unstable situation earlier in 2011, World Travel Awards have confirmed it will host its annual Africa and Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony in the country on the 16th of September.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
This modern resort offers an ideal location for a family friendly stay close to beautiful sandy beaches
- Just 10 minutes by bus from a lovely stretch of some of the finest sandy beaches
- Dive deep into clear waters of the Red Sea to enjoy colourful coral reefs and explore a variety of fish and marine life
- Sol y Mar Sharks Bay offers a variety of restaurants, a lobby bar & terrace, an Internet cafe and a shuttle bus to the nearby beach
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Luxor is one Egypt's most captivating cities, replete with historic monuments such as the ancient tombs of the Valley of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...