Egypt to be the host of World Tourism Day 2011
The Egyptian city of Aswan will be the host of World Tourism Day 2011. The celebration's main aim will be to raise the awareness of the impact of tourism in society. It will also be a great opportunity for Egypt holidays to regain their huge popularity.
This year, World Tourism Day (WTD) celebrations will be held in the Egyptian city of Aswan. The 2011 theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures” will include a High-Level Think Tank. The recent unstable political circumstances in Egypt were a hard blow on the country’s tourism industry and thus this celebration is a wonderful opportunity to once again give a boost to the popularity of Egypt holidays.
The celebration of World Tourism Day takes place annually on 27th September. Its main purpose is to promote awareness of the importance of tourism and its social, cultural, political and environmental significance in the world. This years’ festivity will also help the international community to see Egypt’s re-stabilisation, and make eager visitors interested in taking holidays to Egypt once again.
“It is most fitting that Egypt, home to some of the world’s most celebrated cultural heritage and a leading tourism destination, be the host country for the official celebrations of World Tourism Day 2011,” said the UNWTO Secretary-General, Taleb Rifai, announcing the news.
Egypt is an internationally-famed destination due to its rich history and astounding culture, making Egypt holidays one of the most popular holiday spots plans for tourists, throughout the years. It is exactly this exchange between the people and the cultures of the world that is at the heart of the WTD 2011 theme: “Tourism – Linking Cultures.”
The Minister of Egypt Tourism, Mounir Fakhri Abdel-Nour , expressed the nation´s delight in being able to host this major tourism event. He thinks that holding these celebrations will help the country´s tourism industry recover, as well as persuade more travellers to enjoy holidays in Egypt.
“We are very honoured to be hosting the official celebrations of the World Tourism Day 2011 in Egypt. Tourism is one of the most important sectors of our society, representing 12% of our GDP in 2010 and responsible for one in every seven jobs. World Tourism Day is an excellent opportunity to raise awareness around the world of this vital economic and environmental well-being worldwide and in Egypt in particular,” he said
Some of the planned activities on World Tourism Day 2011 include A High-Level Think Tank. Through the Think Tank, public, private tourism stakeholders, academic circles and media will be able to address the part tourism plays in building understanding, respect and acceptance around the globe.
Another one of the exciting activities that will take place during the event is the annual WTD Photo Competition, which awards as first prize a round-trip to Egypt, giving the winner a delightful opportunity to enjoy holidays in the country, and stay in one of the many luxurious Egypt hotels. UNWTO (World Tourism Organisation) has also launched the first ever WTD Twitter Competition, which asks people to ‘tweet’ about how they think tourism can link cultures. The winning entries will be announced on the official programme handed out during the event’s festivities.
There are more great surprises for the Egyptian tourism industry this September. Even after the political upheaval, and the country’s unstable situation earlier in 2011, World Travel Awards have confirmed it will host its annual Africa and Indian Ocean Gala Ceremony in the country on the 16th of September.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Ideally located on the eastern bank of the Nile, the hotel offers an oasis of luxury with excellent facilities and beautiful views across the Nile
- This hotel is a haven of relaxation where you can lie back in a sun lounge immersed in one of the hotel's infinity pools or relax in a shaded hammock and take in the views
- There are seven restaurants and bars to chose from including the elegant Sunset Lounge and Terrace which serves cocktails and snacks as well as stunning sunset views
- The Hilton Luxor features contemporary guest rooms, excellent facilities and uninterrupted views across the Nile
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...