U.S. Tour Company's Cuba Tours suspended over licence issue
A travel company that was recently given permission to provide American travellers with "people-to-people" Cuba holidays has had its tours suspended by the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Controls due to licensing problems.
The travel firm Abercrombie and Kent is unable to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers after its tours were suspended due to licensing problems.
The travel company was one of the first to be given permission earlier this year by a new Obama administration policy to provide U.S. tourists with “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba. Cuba tours by Abercrombie and Kent were suspended after questions were raised about the licence that allows “people-to-people” Cuba travel for American holidaymakers.
According to U.S newspaper, the Miami Herald, Abercrombie and Kent sold out 13 tours that were organised in partnership with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, who had obtained a licence from the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) to offer holidays in Cuba to non-Cuban Americans.
However, the OFAC raised issues with the arrangement between Abercrombie and Kent and the Foundation for Caribbean Studies and in a statement issued last month, the department said that company has “suspended all Cuba-related travel bookings until it can ensure it is fully compliant with this new guidance.”
The statement added that companies that do not have a licence to organise Cuba holidays are not permitted to use another firm’s licence. In January this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens who visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, professional, academic and cultural purposes.
The change in law allows American residents to travel to Cuba, some for the first time, providing they are part of an organisation or book their trip through a licensed travel operator.
In 2009, President Obama changed the law so that Cuban-Americans were free to travel to their homeland as often as they wanted, after decades of tight restrictions under former Presidents’ administrations.
Cuba is a Caribbean island situated south of the United States and east of Mexico. The beautiful island boast miles of coastline including sandy beaches and thriving coral reefs. The island’s capital city, Havana, is rich in history and culture, while the beach resort of Varadero is a popular spot for international tourists seeking sun and luxury hotel stays.
The relaxed restrictions are expected to result in an influx of American tourists visiting the island over the next few months and tourism officials are predicting that Cuba will become the next leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...