U.S. Tour Company's Cuba Tours suspended over licence issue
A travel company that was recently given permission to provide American travellers with "people-to-people" Cuba holidays has had its tours suspended by the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Controls due to licensing problems.
The travel firm Abercrombie and Kent is unable to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers after its tours were suspended due to licensing problems.
The travel company was one of the first to be given permission earlier this year by a new Obama administration policy to provide U.S. tourists with “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba. Cuba tours by Abercrombie and Kent were suspended after questions were raised about the licence that allows “people-to-people” Cuba travel for American holidaymakers.
According to U.S newspaper, the Miami Herald, Abercrombie and Kent sold out 13 tours that were organised in partnership with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, who had obtained a licence from the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) to offer holidays in Cuba to non-Cuban Americans.
However, the OFAC raised issues with the arrangement between Abercrombie and Kent and the Foundation for Caribbean Studies and in a statement issued last month, the department said that company has “suspended all Cuba-related travel bookings until it can ensure it is fully compliant with this new guidance.”
The statement added that companies that do not have a licence to organise Cuba holidays are not permitted to use another firm’s licence. In January this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens who visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, professional, academic and cultural purposes.
The change in law allows American residents to travel to Cuba, some for the first time, providing they are part of an organisation or book their trip through a licensed travel operator.
In 2009, President Obama changed the law so that Cuban-Americans were free to travel to their homeland as often as they wanted, after decades of tight restrictions under former Presidents’ administrations.
Cuba is a Caribbean island situated south of the United States and east of Mexico. The beautiful island boast miles of coastline including sandy beaches and thriving coral reefs. The island’s capital city, Havana, is rich in history and culture, while the beach resort of Varadero is a popular spot for international tourists seeking sun and luxury hotel stays.
The relaxed restrictions are expected to result in an influx of American tourists visiting the island over the next few months and tourism officials are predicting that Cuba will become the next leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Exclusive Free Havana city tour, visiting Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Activities throughout the day at IBEROSTAR Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- IBEROSTAR Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...