U.S. Tour Company's Cuba Tours suspended over licence issue
A travel company that was recently given permission to provide American travellers with "people-to-people" Cuba holidays has had its tours suspended by the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Controls due to licensing problems.
The travel firm Abercrombie and Kent is unable to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers after its tours were suspended due to licensing problems.
The travel company was one of the first to be given permission earlier this year by a new Obama administration policy to provide U.S. tourists with “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba. Cuba tours by Abercrombie and Kent were suspended after questions were raised about the licence that allows “people-to-people” Cuba travel for American holidaymakers.
According to U.S newspaper, the Miami Herald, Abercrombie and Kent sold out 13 tours that were organised in partnership with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, who had obtained a licence from the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) to offer holidays in Cuba to non-Cuban Americans.
However, the OFAC raised issues with the arrangement between Abercrombie and Kent and the Foundation for Caribbean Studies and in a statement issued last month, the department said that company has “suspended all Cuba-related travel bookings until it can ensure it is fully compliant with this new guidance.”
The statement added that companies that do not have a licence to organise Cuba holidays are not permitted to use another firm’s licence. In January this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens who visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, professional, academic and cultural purposes.
The change in law allows American residents to travel to Cuba, some for the first time, providing they are part of an organisation or book their trip through a licensed travel operator.
In 2009, President Obama changed the law so that Cuban-Americans were free to travel to their homeland as often as they wanted, after decades of tight restrictions under former Presidents’ administrations.
Cuba is a Caribbean island situated south of the United States and east of Mexico. The beautiful island boast miles of coastline including sandy beaches and thriving coral reefs. The island’s capital city, Havana, is rich in history and culture, while the beach resort of Varadero is a popular spot for international tourists seeking sun and luxury hotel stays.
The relaxed restrictions are expected to result in an influx of American tourists visiting the island over the next few months and tourism officials are predicting that Cuba will become the next leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...