U.S. Tour Company's Cuba Tours suspended over licence issue
A travel company that was recently given permission to provide American travellers with "people-to-people" Cuba holidays has had its tours suspended by the US Treasury Department's Office of Foreign Assets Controls due to licensing problems.
The travel firm Abercrombie and Kent is unable to provide Cuba holidays for American travellers after its tours were suspended due to licensing problems.
The travel company was one of the first to be given permission earlier this year by a new Obama administration policy to provide U.S. tourists with “people-to-people” holidays to Cuba. Cuba tours by Abercrombie and Kent were suspended after questions were raised about the licence that allows “people-to-people” Cuba travel for American holidaymakers.
According to U.S newspaper, the Miami Herald, Abercrombie and Kent sold out 13 tours that were organised in partnership with the Foundation for Caribbean Studies, who had obtained a licence from the US Treasury Department’s Office of Foreign Assets Controls (OFAC) to offer holidays in Cuba to non-Cuban Americans.
However, the OFAC raised issues with the arrangement between Abercrombie and Kent and the Foundation for Caribbean Studies and in a statement issued last month, the department said that company has “suspended all Cuba-related travel bookings until it can ensure it is fully compliant with this new guidance.”
The statement added that companies that do not have a licence to organise Cuba holidays are not permitted to use another firm’s licence. In January this year, U.S President Barack Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American citizens who visit the Caribbean island for educational, religious, professional, academic and cultural purposes.
The change in law allows American residents to travel to Cuba, some for the first time, providing they are part of an organisation or book their trip through a licensed travel operator.
In 2009, President Obama changed the law so that Cuban-Americans were free to travel to their homeland as often as they wanted, after decades of tight restrictions under former Presidents’ administrations.
Cuba is a Caribbean island situated south of the United States and east of Mexico. The beautiful island boast miles of coastline including sandy beaches and thriving coral reefs. The island’s capital city, Havana, is rich in history and culture, while the beach resort of Varadero is a popular spot for international tourists seeking sun and luxury hotel stays.
The relaxed restrictions are expected to result in an influx of American tourists visiting the island over the next few months and tourism officials are predicting that Cuba will become the next leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Benefit from multiple swimming pools and non-motorised water sports in Varadero.
- Relish upgraded luxuries including 24h room service and sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival.
- Discover the treasures of Havana form the tranquil base of the Melia Habana Hotel.
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...