St Lucia announces new "Our Planet" attraction
A great attraction for adults and children enjoying St Lucia holidays, a new "Our Planet" centre has just opened in St Lucia for the delight of those interested in eco-travel and learning about the many wonders of the earth and how to preserve it better.
St Lucia is proud to present travellers with its latest attraction in Castries, the newly built and launched “Our Planet Centre” – a state-of-the-art construction and learning centre, the very first of its kind anywhere in the world, which is now open for worldwide visitors to explore. The earthy and educational animation centre has just opened at La Place Carenage, Jeremie Street.
Created and designed with cutting edge technology, the highly interactive centre seeks to promote awareness for the preservation of the earth’s environment, starting from the tiny Caribbean island of St Lucia. Children and adults alike will be able to go on an exciting learning adventure during their holidays in St Lucia when making a stop at this awe-inspiring centre.
Sarah Adams, Executive Director of the newly launched project said that the recently formed “Our Planet” organisation believed that St Lucia with its largely unspoiled beauty and environment, was the ideal place to begin the movement of saving the Earth while there is still time.
The new centre has the biggest mirror-sphere in the world; boasts a hologram of Prince Charles that was recorded specifically for Saint Lucia as well as a “NASA Room” boasting features built by NASA especially for the Our Planet Centre right here in Saint Lucia. In fact every evening, like clockwork, NASA downloads information to the Centre, ensuring that the island is up to date on the latest trends in weather patterns around the world, tracking earthquakes, tsunamis and the formation of hurricanes.
Our Planet Centre also boasts several firsts for Saint Lucia – two snow machines that will allow patrons to view Castries Harbour through a snowstorm; several huge touch screen, fully computerised game boards that will allow visitors to the Centre learn about protecting the environment; a hurricane room; a fully equipped movie room complete with lasers, smoke and wind machines that simulate the experience of being caught in a storm and an interactive floor that patrons can walk onto as it teaches them about the endangered species of Saint Lucia. All of this and much more are some of the things that children will be able to enjoy during St Lucia holidays when visiting the centre. Even the not-so-young will enjoy some of the astonishing displays and animated features.
The multi-million dollar centre, funded primarily by the German Government with support from other overseas Corporations such as Marks and Spencers and the Hilton Group of Hotels also received support from the Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) among other local and foreign entities.
The idea of Our Planet was conceptualised by Executive Directors Sarah Adams and Pablo Rosenthal, who are on hand at the Jeremie Street Centre to explain their passion for preserving the earth’s environment, a little at a time. And whilst Our Planet Centre in St Lucia is the first of its kind in the world, the creators say that it is their intention to establish Centres just like this one in other Caribbean Islands, Central America and the United States.
One of the key advantages of having the facility is St Lucia is that all proceeds will go 100% back into the island, funding local environmental programmes such as recycling and litter management. As the Centre Directors say, this is a centre FOR Saint Lucians and so should be supported fully by St Lucians.
Another advantage, is the edge this new centre will give to St Lucia's tourism industry, making St Lucia holidays all the more appealing to environmentally-concerned travellers. The centre, based on the Castries Docks, will also vigorously target cruise ship visitors coming to enjoy holidays in St Lucia during the tourist season, and will be presenting them with full exhibitions that explain the fragility and importance of the earth and its significance to mankind.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults!
- A selection of complimentary activities available, Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste on your All Inclusive stay!
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway Sandals Halcyon Beach St. Lucia
- Luxury Included® - All Included, All Unlimited, All the Time with the choice of upto 27 five Star Global Gourmet™ restaurants and 7 bars
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa®
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant or enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort & Spa
Enjoy breathtaking sunsets and blue sparkling waters of the Caribbean Sea at two beautiful all-inclusive St Lucia resort
Fantastic amenities, personalised services, and an endless range of activities for the whole family at St James Club, Morgan Bay, and Coconut Bay Beach Resort and Spa.
- Benefit from All-Inclusive programmes at both hotels, and enjoy a variety of complimentary activities, delicious meals at the restaurants, and a variety of entertainment for the whole family.
- Coconut Bay Beach Resort & Spa a free access to the largest waterpark in St Lucia, featuring five swimming pools, two waterslides, and a lazy river.
- Being close to Cap Estate Golf Course, capital city of Castries, and the world-class Rodney bay Marina, St James Club Morgan Bay Resort is a perfect base for exploring the island
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
The volcanic island of St. Lucia is one abundant in natural beauty. It is home to the most mountains among the Caribbean...