St Lucia announces new "Our Planet" attraction
A great attraction for adults and children enjoying St Lucia holidays, a new "Our Planet" centre has just opened in St Lucia for the delight of those interested in eco-travel and learning about the many wonders of the earth and how to preserve it better.
St Lucia is proud to present travellers with its latest attraction in Castries, the newly built and launched “Our Planet Centre” – a state-of-the-art construction and learning centre, the very first of its kind anywhere in the world, which is now open for worldwide visitors to explore. The earthy and educational animation centre has just opened at La Place Carenage, Jeremie Street.
Created and designed with cutting edge technology, the highly interactive centre seeks to promote awareness for the preservation of the earth’s environment, starting from the tiny Caribbean island of St Lucia. Children and adults alike will be able to go on an exciting learning adventure during their holidays in St Lucia when making a stop at this awe-inspiring centre.
Sarah Adams, Executive Director of the newly launched project said that the recently formed “Our Planet” organisation believed that St Lucia with its largely unspoiled beauty and environment, was the ideal place to begin the movement of saving the Earth while there is still time.
The new centre has the biggest mirror-sphere in the world; boasts a hologram of Prince Charles that was recorded specifically for Saint Lucia as well as a “NASA Room” boasting features built by NASA especially for the Our Planet Centre right here in Saint Lucia. In fact every evening, like clockwork, NASA downloads information to the Centre, ensuring that the island is up to date on the latest trends in weather patterns around the world, tracking earthquakes, tsunamis and the formation of hurricanes.
Our Planet Centre also boasts several firsts for Saint Lucia – two snow machines that will allow patrons to view Castries Harbour through a snowstorm; several huge touch screen, fully computerised game boards that will allow visitors to the Centre learn about protecting the environment; a hurricane room; a fully equipped movie room complete with lasers, smoke and wind machines that simulate the experience of being caught in a storm and an interactive floor that patrons can walk onto as it teaches them about the endangered species of Saint Lucia. All of this and much more are some of the things that children will be able to enjoy during St Lucia holidays when visiting the centre. Even the not-so-young will enjoy some of the astonishing displays and animated features.
The multi-million dollar centre, funded primarily by the German Government with support from other overseas Corporations such as Marks and Spencers and the Hilton Group of Hotels also received support from the Saint Lucia Air and Sea Ports Authority (SLASPA) among other local and foreign entities.
The idea of Our Planet was conceptualised by Executive Directors Sarah Adams and Pablo Rosenthal, who are on hand at the Jeremie Street Centre to explain their passion for preserving the earth’s environment, a little at a time. And whilst Our Planet Centre in St Lucia is the first of its kind in the world, the creators say that it is their intention to establish Centres just like this one in other Caribbean Islands, Central America and the United States.
One of the key advantages of having the facility is St Lucia is that all proceeds will go 100% back into the island, funding local environmental programmes such as recycling and litter management. As the Centre Directors say, this is a centre FOR Saint Lucians and so should be supported fully by St Lucians.
Another advantage, is the edge this new centre will give to St Lucia's tourism industry, making St Lucia holidays all the more appealing to environmentally-concerned travellers. The centre, based on the Castries Docks, will also vigorously target cruise ship visitors coming to enjoy holidays in St Lucia during the tourist season, and will be presenting them with full exhibitions that explain the fragility and importance of the earth and its significance to mankind.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
Guests will be delighted by this couples only resort, set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- Book a standard coach transfer and get a FREE Upgrade to a Private Transfer - Must book before 25th October 2016
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of dining options and leisure facilities
- The red lane spa offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Spoil yourself with eight days of limitless sun and sand on the Caribbean island of St Lucia. One of its brightest...