Unexpected Cuba holidays for U.S. passengers as plane diverts its route
After detecting a foul smell, a United Airlines airplane made an emergency island in the Cuban capital. All U.S. passengers onboard were treated to very short Cuba holidays as they waited for a new plane to take them to their final destination in Cancun.
Due to an unforeseen emergency during a flight route between Washington and Mexico, some passengers were treated to unexpected and very brief holidays in Cuba, as the plane landed in Havana last Sunday after the crew detected a strange odour in the cabin.
Authorities have revealed that in an extreme measure of precaution, United Airlines Flight 831 from Dulles International Airport (AID) made an emergency landing in Havana’s International Jose Marti airport, thus deviating from its original destination at Cancun International Airport.
The plane carried a total of 135 passengers on board and five crew members (two pilots and three flight attendants) when after noticing an “unfamiliar smell” that a spokesman for the Federal Aviation Administration described as similar to “a strong electrical odour” in the cockpit, the pilots decided to land in the Caribbean island as a precautionary measure.
“In an abundance of caution, the pilots decided to land the aircraft at the nearest available airport.” the airline’s release statement read. The plane landed in Havana Internationa Airport (HAV) at noon and it had left Dulles just before 9.00am. It was supposed to take passengers to Cancun holidays and arrive at their final destination in the Mexican Riviera at 11.27am.
Instead, U.S. passengers who are not normally allowed (except in special circumstances and with special permits and licenses) to travel to Cuba or enjoy any sort of recreational or leisure trip to Cuba, were given a short Cuba holiday experience after the plane remained on the ground, in Havana for several hours as the airline arranged to have a new plane sent over.
The plane remained on land in the Caribbean nation as of 5.15pm and Charlie Hobart, a spokesman for United Airlines said the airline was “working to reaccommodate our customers," further announcing that another plane was being ferried in from Cancun to then take the passengers to their final destination.
Normally, there are very tight restrictions (even when now under Obama’s rule there have been some alterations allowing for more special licenses for Cuba travel) on the travel of U.S. citizens to the Communist state of Cuba, based on federal law. United Airlines does not typically fly to Cuba, and this incident is unprecedented.
Recently, however, there have been some changes to U.S. regulations with regards to Cuba travel, as now the legislation has been ammended to allow certaing groups of citizens to visit the island for cultural, educational and humanitarian purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...
Are you searching for an authentic Cuban experience? Then why not head to Cuba and marvel at both the historical Havana...