Mexico promotes south-eastern region with launch of Mundo Maya 2012
Mexican President, Felipe Calderon, has announced plans for a new 2012 programme that will give a boost to Cancun holidays and promote the Mayan Culture Legacy in Mexico while estimating that 52 million tourists will visit the south-east region next year.
Plans for a new tourism programme have been announced by Mexican President, Felipe Calderon in a bid to attract more travellers to come to Mexico and take Cancun and Riviera Maya holidays.
The Mundo Maya 2012 campaign (Mayan World 2012) will promote the Mayan Culture Legacy in Mexico and the Mexican government are expecting the campaign to attract approximately 52 million tourists to the south-eastern region next year.
President Calderon said: “Today we are the 10th power for tourism in the world, and we are working hard to be in the top five.
“We want the world to know the splendours of the Mayan civilization, with the end goal of positioning Mexico as a privileged and unique touristic destination."
“We want the world to know the splendours of the Mayan civilisation, with the end goal of positioning Mexico as a privileged and unique touristic destination."
It is expected that cultural tourism will increase Mexico’s total tourism revenue by 35 per cent over the next eight years and the Mundo Maya 2012 campaign will help Mexico become one of the top-five most visited holiday destinations in the world.
The Mexican government will offer a wide selection of events which will take place across Mexico’s “Mayan World” in the south east of the country between now and 21st December; the end of the Mayan calendar. The “Mayan World” comprises the states of Quintana Roo (home to Cancun), Yucatan, Campeche, Chiapas and Tabasco and during Mexico and Cancun holidays, travellers can visit six spectacular UNESCO World Heritage Sites.
Calderon added: “This effort looks to give an unprecedented boost to tourism activity in the country's south-eastern states, where this incredible civilisation was established. We want tourists from Mexico and the world to know Mexico. We want them to explore the unrivalled riches that this magical region has to offer.”
Mexico is working hard to develop roads and facilities so that tourists can gain better access to the Mayan’s World archaeological sites. New buildings are under development including the new “Palace of Maya Civilization” and the Museo del Mundo Maya.
Mexico’s secretary of tourism, Gloria Guevara Manzo, explained: “The celebration of the end of the Mayan calendar's cycle is an extraordinary opportunity to promote the great cultural, historical and human heritage that we possess. We are so excited to share the unique Mayan culture with the world.”
Situated on the northeast coast of Quintana Roo, Cancun is one of the country’s most popular regions for international tourists. The popular island tourist zone is thriving with restaurants, bars, nightclubs and luxurious Cancun hotels, and during holidays to Cancun, travellers can enjoy scuba diving and snorkelling activities at some of the world’s most beautiful waters.
The region is home to part of the world’s second-longest coral reef and divers can swim beneath the turquoise ocean’s surface and marvel at the colourful coral reefs and spectacular marine life. The National Marine Park of Cancun - created by British Sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor - is a fantastic site for scuba diving and boasts hundreds of life-size sculptures of humans. Over 750,000 divers take holidays to Cancun each year.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Riviera Maya Browse all
Spoil yourself rotten with a pampering holiday at one of Cancun's most luxurious all inclusive resorts, with a long list of fully-included facilities, activities and services - everyone in the family is guaranteed to be pleased!
- Just 30 minutes away from Xcaret Park, an Ecological & Archaeological Theme Park with various family activities
- Explorer's Club for ages 3-12 and Core Zone for ages 9-17 provide a whole host of activities from euro-bungee to big screen movies on the beach
- Book now and Enjoy a fantastic upgrade to Preferred Club Junior Suite Tropical View Room and gain various added values including Upgraded mini-bar service and bath amenities
- As well as food & beverages, Unlimited-Luxury includes theme parties, daytime and evening entertainment and all the activities at the kids and teens clubs
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Retreat to one of the Mexican Caribbean's most coveted and secluded beach hideaways
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Discover this dream romantic getaway where every luxury is included at Secrets Akumal Riviera Maya
- Be seduced by sophisticated comforts, elegant design and complimentary green fees at Riviera Maya Golf Club
- Let Unlimited Luxury treat you to fine meals and drinks as well as an array of non-motorised water sports
- Enjoy the 24-hour room service, complimentary daily re-stocked mini bar and free Wi-Fi; it's all there and it's all included
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Get away to one of the most exciting tourist destinations on earth, the Riviera Maya. The Secrets Silversands resort...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Take a luxurious and fun-packed 15-day retreat at Mexico's famous Riviera Maya, while you enjoy the many amenities of...