Air Jamaica flights now operating under Caribbean Airlines
As of 1st July, 2011, Air Jamaica flights taking travellers to their Caribbean holidays will be operating under Caribbean Airlines' BW code, as the acquisition of the Jamaican airline was finally completed since the move was first announced last year.
Air Jamaica flights will now be operating under the ‘BW’ code of Caribbean Airlines after the Trinidad and Tobago-owned airline completed its acquisition of Jamaica’s national carrier last week.
Travellers taking Caribbean holidays will receive the best quality service during their flights which will operate under the two brand names, and the Chairman of Caribbean Airlines, George Nicholas, said that a "truly Caribbean airline will now be of service to the Caribbean and its people."
Acting Chief Executive Officer of Caribbean Airlines, Robert Corbie, spoke of both carriers' operations under the same code, and said, "We continue to pursue our philosophy of 'one airline, two brands' … This will mark a milestone in the streamlining and merging of operations and routes."
The move was first announced in May 2010 and the deal includes the Jamaican government to have a 16 per cent share in BW. A government representative will be also appointed to Caribbean Airlines’ board of directors.
A statement from BW explained that the carriers "will be able to realise the cost synergies that were anticipated from the onset. In addition to operating under the same flight code, the airlines are moving towards one fleet type for both Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica and customers will also notice that front line staff for both carriers will be custom uniformed to represent both brands."
Speaking of the two brands, Corbie added: "We have maintained the Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica experience by retaining separate in-flight videos and magazines for that distinction between the brands for the customer, as we want our customers to experience the best service from both brands."
BW have also secured an agreement on the arrival of nine ATR 72-600s this autumn which will be used to operate some of the flights serving the Jamaica holidays market.
Caribbean Airlines operates flights for Caribbean holidays across the region including popular holiday destinations such as Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Grenada, the Bahamas, Canada and the United States.
Up until the acquisition, Air Jamaica had been providing travellers with flights that flew them to holidays in Jamaica since 1973 when it was first established as Jamaica Air Taxi. In 2005, after financial struggles, the airline stopped its operations and tourists taking holidays to Jamaica were reassigned to Jetstar Airways.
The news of the deal has welcomed by many Caribbean hotels, businesses and tourism officials, as not only will the airline takeover provide new jobs, but the region can also expect a boost in tourist arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Stretching along a blessed mile of powdery soft sands, this all-inclusive resort is the perfect place for endless family fun.
- The Kids Club has an outdoor playground and kids-only pool while the Teen Centre for over 13s offers a great variety of fun activities
- Enjoy a FREE glass bottom boat trip, island jeep safari and island coach tour
- Fantastic location 30 minutes to Bridgetown, 5 minutes to Speightstown and 15 minutes to Holetown, there is plenty to explore around the Almond Beach Resort
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Located by the picturesque St. Paul's Bay, Porto Azzurro Hotel is only 10 minutes away from Malta's main sandy beaches...
Located on the Atlantic coast at the mouth of the Souss Valley, Agadir is Morocco’s slice of coastal cool....
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...