Air Jamaica flights now operating under Caribbean Airlines
As of 1st July, 2011, Air Jamaica flights taking travellers to their Caribbean holidays will be operating under Caribbean Airlines' BW code, as the acquisition of the Jamaican airline was finally completed since the move was first announced last year.
Air Jamaica flights will now be operating under the ‘BW’ code of Caribbean Airlines after the Trinidad and Tobago-owned airline completed its acquisition of Jamaica’s national carrier last week.
Travellers taking Caribbean holidays will receive the best quality service during their flights which will operate under the two brand names, and the Chairman of Caribbean Airlines, George Nicholas, said that a "truly Caribbean airline will now be of service to the Caribbean and its people."
Acting Chief Executive Officer of Caribbean Airlines, Robert Corbie, spoke of both carriers' operations under the same code, and said, "We continue to pursue our philosophy of 'one airline, two brands' … This will mark a milestone in the streamlining and merging of operations and routes."
The move was first announced in May 2010 and the deal includes the Jamaican government to have a 16 per cent share in BW. A government representative will be also appointed to Caribbean Airlines’ board of directors.
A statement from BW explained that the carriers "will be able to realise the cost synergies that were anticipated from the onset. In addition to operating under the same flight code, the airlines are moving towards one fleet type for both Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica and customers will also notice that front line staff for both carriers will be custom uniformed to represent both brands."
Speaking of the two brands, Corbie added: "We have maintained the Caribbean Airlines and Air Jamaica experience by retaining separate in-flight videos and magazines for that distinction between the brands for the customer, as we want our customers to experience the best service from both brands."
BW have also secured an agreement on the arrival of nine ATR 72-600s this autumn which will be used to operate some of the flights serving the Jamaica holidays market.
Caribbean Airlines operates flights for Caribbean holidays across the region including popular holiday destinations such as Jamaica, Antigua, Trinidad and Tobago, Barbados, Grenada, the Bahamas, Canada and the United States.
Up until the acquisition, Air Jamaica had been providing travellers with flights that flew them to holidays in Jamaica since 1973 when it was first established as Jamaica Air Taxi. In 2005, after financial struggles, the airline stopped its operations and tourists taking holidays to Jamaica were reassigned to Jetstar Airways.
The news of the deal has welcomed by many Caribbean hotels, businesses and tourism officials, as not only will the airline takeover provide new jobs, but the region can also expect a boost in tourist arrivals.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Make your trip to Phuket one to remember at romantic and secluded Rawai beach
- Take advantage opf the FREE double room upgrade
- Perfect for families or couples searching for their own slice of paradise
- Relaxing location close to the beach
- Free shuttle services to Ya Nui beach, Nai Harn beach and Kata beach
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Exclusive India Sale, Enjoy Huge reductions on all our tours must be booked by 31 August 2017
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Unwind in an adults-only paradise upon white sands with a FREE room upgrade and HALF price accomodation
Stay in pure paradise at Pineapple Beach Club, surrounded by a stunning waterfront of spectacular powdery white sands, it's heaven on earth
- Rejuvenate at the luxurious hotel spa or keep active all the selection of All-Inclusive water and on land activities included during your stay
- Formerly Grand Pineapple Beach Resort, The Pineapple Beach Club is a newly renovated Adults-Only All Inclusive Paradise
- Book and save up to 50%Summer just got better with savings of up to 50% plus a FREE ROOM UPGRADE in selected rooms
- Dine Al Fresco with breathtaking views of the turquoise waters of Long Bay
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Despite having opened its doors to guests in 2008, this boutique hotel has been around for much longer as it once was a...