Sandals Resorts Offers Volunteer Programme for Guests
Travellers seeking volunteer opportunities during their Caribbean holidays will be able to take part in a new literacy programme which has been launched by Sandals Resorts International to help improve the reading and listening skills of local children.
Just very recently Sandals Resorts International has launched a new volunteer programme at many of its resorts which will enable travellers taking Caribbean holidays to ‘give back’ to the local community.
The Reading Road Trip programme involves a two-hour session where tourists visit the Sandals Foundation’s adopted local basic and primary schools across the Caribbean region, to participate in reading activities within small groups of children aged 5-7 years old.
The sessions are also attended by facilitators who are on hand to guide tourists on how to engage the children and encourage them in the given tasks.
This is the first voluntourism programme to be launched by Sandals Resorts International and it is available for travellers taking Caribbean holidays across all of its Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts in Antigua, St Lucia, Jamaica, The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos.
Chief Executive of Sandals Resorts International, Adam Stewart, explained: “The chance to ‘give back’ has been a customer request for some time, so we are thrilled to finally be able to offer our guests the opportunity to take part in the work we consider so vitally important.”
Guests staying at participating Sandals Resorts will be able to take part in the volunteer activities between September and mid-June every Thursday from 9am until 11am whilst schools are in session.
The cost of the programme is US$20 per person, which covers all transport and supplies for the session, and children coming along with parents on holidays to Jamaica, Antigua, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, and St Lucia, who are aged between 8-12 years of age will be able to participate free of charge but they must be accompanied by an adult.
Stewart added: “It’s an extraordinary thing to connect with the people of a place; to know them and to make a real difference in their lives. This is our first step into developing programming that allows our guests to do just that. I expect guests who participate will leave our resorts feeling fabulous – body and soul.”
Volunteers are asked to bring with them a new or gently-used book which will be donated to their school’s library. Sandals owns resorts across the Caribbean and provide luxury all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean for couples, families, friends and solo travellers. Last year, the hotel group was awarded the title of the World’ Leading All-Inclusive Company at the World Travel Awards.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- Enjoy the secluded, glorious location on the beautiful, tranquil and pristine Marjan Island
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- Add a VIP package, including No.1 Gatwick Lounge Access, Dubai Airport Fast Track and tickets to Burj Khalifa, from £99 per person
- Luxury and comfortable accommodations with a spectacular views of the crystal blue Arabian Gulf
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Fun and relaxation for all the family - there's something for everyone at Laguna Beach, come and discover it for yourself.
- Romantic boutique hotel at the beautiful Fisherman's Cove
- Winner of TripAdvisor Certificate of Excellence for three years in a row
- Complimentary watersport like glass bottom boat, windsurfing, kayaks, snorkeling and more
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the city centre business district, the DoubleTree by Hilton Ras Al Khaimah combines stylish accommodation and...