Sandals Resorts Offers Volunteer Programme for Guests
Travellers seeking volunteer opportunities during their Caribbean holidays will be able to take part in a new literacy programme which has been launched by Sandals Resorts International to help improve the reading and listening skills of local children.
Just very recently Sandals Resorts International has launched a new volunteer programme at many of its resorts which will enable travellers taking Caribbean holidays to ‘give back’ to the local community.
The Reading Road Trip programme involves a two-hour session where tourists visit the Sandals Foundation’s adopted local basic and primary schools across the Caribbean region, to participate in reading activities within small groups of children aged 5-7 years old.
The sessions are also attended by facilitators who are on hand to guide tourists on how to engage the children and encourage them in the given tasks.
This is the first voluntourism programme to be launched by Sandals Resorts International and it is available for travellers taking Caribbean holidays across all of its Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts in Antigua, St Lucia, Jamaica, The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos.
Chief Executive of Sandals Resorts International, Adam Stewart, explained: “The chance to ‘give back’ has been a customer request for some time, so we are thrilled to finally be able to offer our guests the opportunity to take part in the work we consider so vitally important.”
Guests staying at participating Sandals Resorts will be able to take part in the volunteer activities between September and mid-June every Thursday from 9am until 11am whilst schools are in session.
The cost of the programme is US$20 per person, which covers all transport and supplies for the session, and children coming along with parents on holidays to Jamaica, Antigua, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, and St Lucia, who are aged between 8-12 years of age will be able to participate free of charge but they must be accompanied by an adult.
Stewart added: “It’s an extraordinary thing to connect with the people of a place; to know them and to make a real difference in their lives. This is our first step into developing programming that allows our guests to do just that. I expect guests who participate will leave our resorts feeling fabulous – body and soul.”
Volunteers are asked to bring with them a new or gently-used book which will be donated to their school’s library. Sandals owns resorts across the Caribbean and provide luxury all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean for couples, families, friends and solo travellers. Last year, the hotel group was awarded the title of the World’ Leading All-Inclusive Company at the World Travel Awards.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits including a room upgrade to make your holiday extra special
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...