Sandals Resorts Offers Volunteer Programme for Guests
Travellers seeking volunteer opportunities during their Caribbean holidays will be able to take part in a new literacy programme which has been launched by Sandals Resorts International to help improve the reading and listening skills of local children.
Just very recently Sandals Resorts International has launched a new volunteer programme at many of its resorts which will enable travellers taking Caribbean holidays to ‘give back’ to the local community.
The Reading Road Trip programme involves a two-hour session where tourists visit the Sandals Foundation’s adopted local basic and primary schools across the Caribbean region, to participate in reading activities within small groups of children aged 5-7 years old.
The sessions are also attended by facilitators who are on hand to guide tourists on how to engage the children and encourage them in the given tasks.
This is the first voluntourism programme to be launched by Sandals Resorts International and it is available for travellers taking Caribbean holidays across all of its Sandals Resorts, Beaches Resorts and Grand Pineapple Beach Resorts in Antigua, St Lucia, Jamaica, The Bahamas and Turks & Caicos.
Chief Executive of Sandals Resorts International, Adam Stewart, explained: “The chance to ‘give back’ has been a customer request for some time, so we are thrilled to finally be able to offer our guests the opportunity to take part in the work we consider so vitally important.”
Guests staying at participating Sandals Resorts will be able to take part in the volunteer activities between September and mid-June every Thursday from 9am until 11am whilst schools are in session.
The cost of the programme is US$20 per person, which covers all transport and supplies for the session, and children coming along with parents on holidays to Jamaica, Antigua, the Bahamas, Turks and Caicos, and St Lucia, who are aged between 8-12 years of age will be able to participate free of charge but they must be accompanied by an adult.
Stewart added: “It’s an extraordinary thing to connect with the people of a place; to know them and to make a real difference in their lives. This is our first step into developing programming that allows our guests to do just that. I expect guests who participate will leave our resorts feeling fabulous – body and soul.”
Volunteers are asked to bring with them a new or gently-used book which will be donated to their school’s library. Sandals owns resorts across the Caribbean and provide luxury all inclusive holidays in the Caribbean for couples, families, friends and solo travellers. Last year, the hotel group was awarded the title of the World’ Leading All-Inclusive Company at the World Travel Awards.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
A resort where there is something for everyone
- FAMILY PACKAGES for a family of 2 adults & 2 kids below 12
- A fantastic all-inclusive programme with great the entertainment options including kids and teen club
- up to 2 children eat and stay for free
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Visit Jaipur's Hawa Mahal, an icon of Rajashtani architecture and the ethereally beautiful Taj mahal of Agra
- Perfect tour to introduce you to India, Home to the cities of Delhi, Agra and Jaipur, the golden triangle is an area of extraordinary cultural wealth and splendour.
- Experience the street life of Delhi, Delhi is a city like no other, with teeming bazaars and the Great Mosque in Old Delhi
Stay at the luxurious Dreams resort with various benefits
- Enjoy moonlit themed parties, great music shows and outdoor cinema screenings on the beach
- A wide choice of a la carte themed restaurants and chic bars ensure there is something to suit everyone
- The Explorer's Kids Club has a fully supervised children's programme with various different activities
The land of endless natural beauty, with ancient sight and cultural treasure, you'll be sure to embark on a holiday of a lifetime
- Unforgettable experience at Yala Safari
- English speaking chauffer guide during the roundtrip
- Transport in a comfortable vehicle
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...
This stunning 4 star property, Novotel Abu Dhabi Al Bustan hotel, offers guests an ideal base from which to discover Abu...