Egyptian Strongman provokes lion in attempt to boost Egypt holidays
Al Sayed al Essawy recently attracted an audience of journalists, television crews and travellers on Egypt holidays, after he performed a unique daredevil stunt which involved provoking a caged male lion in a wheat field in the Nile River Delta.
Egyptian officials have condemned a man who performed a dangerous stunt involving a lion in order to attract foreign travellers to Egypt holidays. Al Sayed al Essawy, an Egyptian strongman, provoked a lion in front of television crews and journalists in efforts to boost tourism to the country following a turbulent first quarter of 2011.
Mr Al Essawy originally planned to stage the fight by the Great Pyramids of Giza but after public criticism and lack of support from the Egyptian government, who said the act was “barbaric”, the stuntman moved the fight to a wheat field in the Nile River Delta.
During the stunt, Mr Al Essawy tried to agitate a caged lion with a spear and a shield made from a satellite dish, and the lion briefly reacted to his efforts.
When the lion sat down, the strongman declared "victory" and left the cage to celebrate with the crowd of onlookers and media.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Mr Al Essawy said that he had never planned to kill the lion but to instead, force it to surrender and show the world that "in Egypt you can see events that you can't see anywhere else".
He added that the stunt was an attempt to entice travellers to take holidays to Egypt once again following the political unrest which included violent riots across the country in February this year.
Since the country’s revolution in February where President Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down, the country has struggled to attract tourists to come on Egypt holidays. Tourism employs approximately ten per cent of the country’s population, and the industry has been severely affected by the decline in travellers visiting the nation’s attractions, ancient sites, main cities and Egypt hotels.
The country’s street protests and riots are said to have cost the country’s holiday industry £500 million, and despite other countries lifting their travel advisories, the recovery for Egypt’s tourism sector is slow.
Tourism officials are hopeful that marketing efforts across the world will boost tourism numbers and last month, the BBC documentary: “Egypt’s Lost Cities”, unveiled the findings of 17 lost pyramids during a new satellite survey that was carried out in the country, which is likely to encourage history and archaeological enthusiasts to take holidays in Egypt.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
This boutique Nile Cruise combines old-world charm and sophistication with the luxury of modern amenities.
- With a limited number of suites and cabins this cruise offers an intimate and exclusive atmosphere of personal service and refined hospitality
- Unwind at the open-air oriental style Jacuzzi or chill in the elegant lounge
- Work on your tan from the spacious, scenic deck as you see 5,000 years of history unfold
Enjoy a memorable and romantic holiday in Egypt
- Benefit from the Sonesta Star Goddess Spa and enjoy a relaxing massage after a busy day of excursions
- Suites made for your comfortable stay with the best view
- Enjoy the swimming pool or relax on the sun deck where you can have a cocktail
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Enjoy a week-long stay in the land of the pharaohs by the banks of the legendary River Nile. While in the city of Luxor...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...