Egyptian Strongman provokes lion in attempt to boost Egypt holidays
Al Sayed al Essawy recently attracted an audience of journalists, television crews and travellers on Egypt holidays, after he performed a unique daredevil stunt which involved provoking a caged male lion in a wheat field in the Nile River Delta.
Egyptian officials have condemned a man who performed a dangerous stunt involving a lion in order to attract foreign travellers to Egypt holidays. Al Sayed al Essawy, an Egyptian strongman, provoked a lion in front of television crews and journalists in efforts to boost tourism to the country following a turbulent first quarter of 2011.
Mr Al Essawy originally planned to stage the fight by the Great Pyramids of Giza but after public criticism and lack of support from the Egyptian government, who said the act was “barbaric”, the stuntman moved the fight to a wheat field in the Nile River Delta.
During the stunt, Mr Al Essawy tried to agitate a caged lion with a spear and a shield made from a satellite dish, and the lion briefly reacted to his efforts.
When the lion sat down, the strongman declared "victory" and left the cage to celebrate with the crowd of onlookers and media.
According to the Wall Street Journal, Mr Al Essawy said that he had never planned to kill the lion but to instead, force it to surrender and show the world that "in Egypt you can see events that you can't see anywhere else".
He added that the stunt was an attempt to entice travellers to take holidays to Egypt once again following the political unrest which included violent riots across the country in February this year.
Since the country’s revolution in February where President Hosni Mubarak was forced to step down, the country has struggled to attract tourists to come on Egypt holidays. Tourism employs approximately ten per cent of the country’s population, and the industry has been severely affected by the decline in travellers visiting the nation’s attractions, ancient sites, main cities and Egypt hotels.
The country’s street protests and riots are said to have cost the country’s holiday industry £500 million, and despite other countries lifting their travel advisories, the recovery for Egypt’s tourism sector is slow.
Tourism officials are hopeful that marketing efforts across the world will boost tourism numbers and last month, the BBC documentary: “Egypt’s Lost Cities”, unveiled the findings of 17 lost pyramids during a new satellite survey that was carried out in the country, which is likely to encourage history and archaeological enthusiasts to take holidays in Egypt.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
Guests can enjoy a treatment in the spa, explore the area on horseback, or enjoy a round of golf.
- A historic hotel with a rich and colourful history, the Mena house is surrounded by 40 acres of gardens, just 700 metres from the Pyramids
- One of the few hotels in Cairo to offer a golf course
- Relax in the Sultan bar with a cocktail in hand, whilst looking out to the pyramids or enjoy informal dining in the Oasis, a poolside restaurant
The perfect escape for couples with exclusive added values not to be missed
- Enjoy a number of complimentary added value offers - must be booked by 15th January 2018
- Free room upgrade to the Superior Deluxe Suite
- Free Romantic Dinner for 2 plus a bottle of wine on Arrival
- Free upgrade to private transfers
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Start your holiday at Le Méridien Pyramids is beautifully located offering unmatched views of the ancient Pyramids of...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Spoil yourself with an amazing historic holiday in the region of the Great Pyramids of Giza. Since 1869, the Mena House...