Barbados Debuts into UNESCO World Heritage List
Tourists will have the chance to visit a world-famous historic attraction during Barbados holidays now after this week Bridgetown's Garrison and British colonial architecture was added to UNESCO's World Heritage List by the World Heritage Committee.
Travellers taking Barbados holidays will have the chance to visit one of UNESCO’s latest additions after the island’s capital, Bridgetown, and its Garrison made the prestigious list of World Heritage Sites.
During their visit to Barbados, tourists can admire Bridgetown’s British colonial architecture which includes the historic well-preserved town which was built during the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries, as well as the military garrison with its array of historic buildings.
The site is the first in Barbados to join the UNESCO World Heritage Site List and it was added along with two other sites; the Ancient Beech Forests of Germany, and Hiraizumi; which comprises a number of temples, gardens and archaeological sites that represent the Buddhist Pure Land in Japan.
This year, 35 natural and cultural sites and properties were reviewed by the World Heritage Committee at the 35th session which took place in Paris from 19th to 29th June, 2011. The event was originally scheduled to take place in Bahrain but due to the country’s political unrest and the declaration of a state of emergency, the session was moved to UNESCO’s headquarters in Paris.
Barbados is a tropical island situated in the North Atlantic Ocean, north east of Venezuela, and is one of the leading destinations for Caribbean holidays.
The island’s white and pinkish coloured sandy beaches attract holidaymakers from all over the globe. The calm turquoise waters are teeming with marine life including colourful coral reefs that offer fantastic conditions for scuba diving Barbados holidays.
Tourist taking holidays to Barbados can enjoy a wide range of activities including sailing, surfing, snorkelling, diving, fishing, and excursions to the island’s boutique shops and traditional markets, nature reserves including the Graeme Hall Nature Sanctuary; and charming towns such as Holetown, Speightstown, and Bridgetown. The island also boasts a varied selection of accommodation options with Barbados hotels ranging from inexpensive Bed and Breakfast, to luxurious beachfront all inclusive resorts.
The UNESCO websites states: “The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) seeks to encourage the identification, protection and preservation of cultural and natural heritage around the world considered to be of outstanding value to humanity.”
Famous UNESCO World Heritage Sites include the Great Barrier Reef in Australia, Pyramids of Egypt, Iguaçu National Park in Brazil, Canadian Rocky Mountain Parks, The Great Wall of China, Old Havana and its fortifications in Cuba, the Cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris, Taj Mahal in India, the Old City of Jerusalem, and Westminster Abbey in London, UK.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Barbados Browse all
Enjoy Barbados at the perfect base on the south coast, stay in Worthing Court Apartment Hotel on beautiful Worthing Beach
- Situated across the road from the stunning Worthing Beach
- Comfortable and equipped units with air conditioning, a daily maid service and a balcony/patio
- Short walk away from shops, restaurants, sporting facilities, supermarkets, bars, night clubs and the beautiful Worthing Beach
Located on the south coast of Barbados with breathtaking ocean views is where Butterfly Beach can be located
- Walking distance to Oistins Bay where the popular Oistins Fish Fry is held every Friday night
- Tradtional Bajan Style hotel that is walking distance from shops, bars and St Lawrence Gap
- Award winning family hotel with many repeat guests over the years
- June Sale now on with savings of upto 20% for travel up until 2019
The Rostrevor Hotel is a great value, family-run hotel on a prime beachfront setting in St Lawrence Gap , the fashionable and lively strip of Barbados
- Easy access to the shops, bars & restaurants of fashionable St. Lawrence Gap
- One of the most affordable self-catering hotels in Barbados
- Boasts several Trip Advisor Certificates of Excellence and a 2016 Travellers' Choice Award
Bask in glorious Caribbean sunshine at Ocean Two Resort & Residences and let every ounce of stress melt away as you gaze at the stunning turquoise waters lapping up the sparkling white sands.
- Summer 18 Sale now on with savings of upto 45% and complimentary Breakfast in any Bedroom Suites
- All apartment suites boast large sitting rooms, contemporary kitchens, flat-screen TVs and spectacular ocean views
- Adults Only Rooftop pool with panoramic views of Barbados and the Sea
- Located in St. Lawrence Gap on Dover Beach in Barbados' southern coast where plenty of restaurant, shops and bars are available
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget at Coconut Court Beach...
Take a step back from day-to-day life and submerge in the peace and tranquillity that can be found at the fantastic...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
An intimate collection of One Bedroom Apartments located in the heart of the West Coast of Barbados. Travellers Palm...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...