MasterCard study rates Santo Domingo top Caribbean city
Mastercard Worldwide has revealed the results of a recent study conducted across the Caribbean and Latin America which showed that the capital city of Santo Domingo fared well among travellers who took Dominican Republic holidays there.
A tourism study carried out by MasterCard Worldwide has shown that Dominican Republic's capital city of Santo Domingo looks like it will fare well among the Latin American and Caribbean regions this year.
The study also showed most of the important holiday destinations in Latin America and the Caribbean, and forecasts the growth in the number of visitors to the Dominican Republic either on bussines or leisure trips to this and other Caribbean regions in 2011.
Richard Hartzell, MasterCard President for the Latin American and Caribbean region, said: “For MasterCard it’s very important to understand the role Latin American and Caribbean cities play in the connectivity of trade and the economies, especially with regard to commerce.”
The results of the study were revealed after MasterCard classified 132 cities in the world index of holiday destinations including the total number of arrivals from international tourists and the transnational payments these tourists made in each destination.
The most popular cities in Latin America and the Caribbean included Bogota (6th place), San Jose (7th place), Santo Domingo (8th place), Rio de Janeiro (9th place), and Caracas (10th), followed by Quito, Sao Paulo, Mexico City, Buenos Aires, and Lima.
Santo Domingo is the capital city of the Dominican Republic and is a popular destination for travellers going on holidays to the Dom Rep, due to its historic and cultural heritage amen of the many flight connections available to the country biggest airport.
The city is divided by the Ozama River and boasts old Victorian houses, tree-lined streets, some of the best hotels in the Dominican Republic are here, the city boasts a number of important casinos, historic monuments and tourist attractions such as Columbus's Lighthouse, where the explorer's remains are said to be buried; the open caves of the Parque Nacional Los Tres Ojos; and the Dominican Republic National Aquarium.
if a Dominican Republic holiday is in your sight a visit to Santo Domingo is desireable there you can explore the city’s historical sites such as the Colonial Zone with several examples of 15th and 16th century architecture; beautiful churches, cathedrals and convents including the Iglesia Regina Angelorum and the Convento de los Dominicos; and museums such as Alcázar de Colón, Museum of Duarte, and the Museo del Ron Dominicano which turns into a rum bar after hours.
When tourists have had enough of exploring the capital city during their holidays in the Dominican Republic, they can head to one of the surrounding pristine white sand palm-fringed beaches for relaxation or fun activities in the sparkling turquoise ocean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dominican Republic Browse all
Be Live Collection Punta Cana offers Pristine white beaches, swaying palms and a pulsating Latin vibe
Head to where the sun shines and enjoy a week-long holiday by the sparkling turquoise beaches of Punta Cana. Here you'll find endless fun for all the family as well as plenty of relaxing options for adults.
- 24-Hour All-Inclusive Service
- Enjoy unlimited access to a white soda beach that's perfect for snorkelling
- World class facilities for all the family plus children stay for half the price
Enjoy white sandy beaches and crystal clear waters along with peaceful and secluded atmosphere
- The hotel has an ideal beachfront location in Bayahibe, a picturesque village on the Dominican Republic's southeast coast for relaxing and luxurious Caribbean holiday
- Enjoy a range of drinks and food with buffet and 4 a la carte restaurants plus numerous bars
- Spoil yourself at the modern spa for serene relaxation featuring five rooms for treatments, jacuzzis and much more
A couples' dream, located between a lush green tropical jungle and a beautiful sandy beach ensures total relaxation
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- The resort has a great location next to a pristine golden sand beach and lush tropical jungle
- Guestrooms and Suites provide a wealth of amenities including a daily refreshed mini bar, 24 hour room and concierge services, a large TV and much more
- The Sip, Savor & See Dining Experience includes complimentary dinner, drinks and entertainment at a restaurant or bar at a participating resort of their choice
Live it up and Enjoy a stay at the brand new Now Onyx Punta Cana, perfectly located on a pristine beach
While staying at the hotel you will be able to enjoy Unlimited-Luxury sure to make your Dominican Republic holiday one to never forget
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Five swimming pools including an infinity pool, a children’s pool, a salt water pool and two private Preferred Club pools
- Adults at Now Onyx have full access to Breathless Punta Cana next door including a casino, the After Dark nightclub, the relax Spa by Pevonia®, a fitness center and 20 additional dining and bar options
- All ground floor suites are swim up suites offering access to a pool directly from their terrace
A holiday at the Dominican Republic's Punta Cana is highly recommended for several reasons. Find out for yourself why so...
Unwind and enjoy the beauty of the Caribbean Sea at the all-inclusive Now Larimar Punta Cana, located on the...
Answer the call of the Dominican Republic's third-largest city and plunge into a world of lush tropical jungles and...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of the Dominican Republic where the amazing beaches of Juan Dolio await you. Also...
Spend eight unforgettable days in the easternmost tip of the Dominican Republic enjoying Punta Cana's pristine beaches...
Don't miss out on the ultimate 8-day Caribbean experience at the all-inclusive Be Live Hamaca in Punta Cana, Dominican...