Bartlett seeks an increase in Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica's Tourism Minister, is heading to Russia this week to meet with OAO Aeroflot in order to finalise an agreement which is part of a plan aimed at increasing the number of Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays, from 1500 to 3000.
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaican Tourism Minister, is keen on seeing an increase in the number of Russian tourists taking holidays to Jamaica so he is heading over to Russia this week to work on an agreement with OAO Aeroflot.
Bartlett is looking to form establish an agreement that will increase the number of tourists going on Jamaica holidays from 1,500 per year to 3,000.
Earlier this month, the Tourism Minister visited Brazil where he signed several agreements including one with Brazil’s largest airline, Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA, and the tour operator CVC, to bring at least 12,000 more travellers from Latin American next year.
"We are moving into new markets, such as South America and Eastern Europe,” Bartlett said last week. "The economies of South America are showing buoyancy in growth and the expansion of middle class in that area."
Tourism in Jamaica accounts for approximately 50 per cent of the Caribbean island’s foreign exchange revenue. The nation’s gross domestic product is expected to increase by 2 per cent in 2011 as tourist revenue grows 3 per cent to a record-breaking $2.2 billion.
Bartlett added that annual increases in revenue will quicken as more visitors arrive on Jamaica holidays from Russia and Brazil, leading to higher occupancy levels in Jamaica hotels.
Jamaica is also negotiating with its northern Caribbean neighbours, Cuba and the Dominican Republic to introduce double-drop flights which will allow countries to share the tourists who are taking holidays in Jamaica, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. This may also help Jamaica to take advantage of the expected influx of travellers from the United States who are heading to Cuba, as the restrictions are eased under the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo.
"Cuba will present some novelty to the North American market, but the North American market is huge," Bartlett added. "We've already made arrangements with the Cuban tourism authority for a multi-destination marketing and multi-airlift arrangements. The discussions I am going to be having in Russia will focus a bit around a double-drop arrangement at Havana and Montego Bay."
China is also interested in investing in a casino project in Jamaica but tourism from China would depend on the additional infrastructure investments at Jamaican airports. The Chinese investment could also to lead to the Asian country spending on Jamaica’s roads, the sugar industry, sports infrastructure and a new convention centre.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- All Inclusive Resort with all meals and beverages included
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Family Friendly Hotel where up to 2 Kids can stay and play for free
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
Whether it's gliding down waterslides, riding a pirate ship or just relaxing on a lazy river at Pirate's Paradise Waterpark, there's fun for everyone guaranteed!
- July Special offers now in place with savings until 2019
- Unlimited-Fun® All Inclusive Resort with a selection of dining options for all the family
- Have a break from the Kids with the adults only pool
- On-site Waterpark featuring a Pirate ship, a lazy river and two waterslides
Discreet luxury at your beck and call under Jamaican sunshine with everything you love, with virtually no limits
Let the most romantic of retreats seduce you and a loved one into a sheer state atof bliss when you stay at Couples Sans Souci.
- Enjoy an array of complimentary water sports & unlimited golf with transfers and green fees included
- Summer Savings with incredible discounts of up to 42% for travel up until 2019
- Includes unlimited premium alcoholic beverages, 24 hour casual to gourmet dining, complimentary airport transfers and more
- Exclusive offsite excursions come included in the package including Dunn's River Falls and Margaritaville
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments at Moon Palace Jamaica
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free and a saving of upto 14%
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights at Sunscape Splash Montego Bay. Located...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a picture postcard made real. Secrets Wild Orchid sits in one of Jamaica's premier resorts,...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Treat yourself to a week in the island of sun, tropical beauty and reggae music. Your place of retreat will be the place...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...