Bartlett seeks an increase in Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica's Tourism Minister, is heading to Russia this week to meet with OAO Aeroflot in order to finalise an agreement which is part of a plan aimed at increasing the number of Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays, from 1500 to 3000.
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaican Tourism Minister, is keen on seeing an increase in the number of Russian tourists taking holidays to Jamaica so he is heading over to Russia this week to work on an agreement with OAO Aeroflot.
Bartlett is looking to form establish an agreement that will increase the number of tourists going on Jamaica holidays from 1,500 per year to 3,000.
Earlier this month, the Tourism Minister visited Brazil where he signed several agreements including one with Brazil’s largest airline, Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA, and the tour operator CVC, to bring at least 12,000 more travellers from Latin American next year.
"We are moving into new markets, such as South America and Eastern Europe,” Bartlett said last week. "The economies of South America are showing buoyancy in growth and the expansion of middle class in that area."
Tourism in Jamaica accounts for approximately 50 per cent of the Caribbean island’s foreign exchange revenue. The nation’s gross domestic product is expected to increase by 2 per cent in 2011 as tourist revenue grows 3 per cent to a record-breaking $2.2 billion.
Bartlett added that annual increases in revenue will quicken as more visitors arrive on Jamaica holidays from Russia and Brazil, leading to higher occupancy levels in Jamaica hotels.
Jamaica is also negotiating with its northern Caribbean neighbours, Cuba and the Dominican Republic to introduce double-drop flights which will allow countries to share the tourists who are taking holidays in Jamaica, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. This may also help Jamaica to take advantage of the expected influx of travellers from the United States who are heading to Cuba, as the restrictions are eased under the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo.
"Cuba will present some novelty to the North American market, but the North American market is huge," Bartlett added. "We've already made arrangements with the Cuban tourism authority for a multi-destination marketing and multi-airlift arrangements. The discussions I am going to be having in Russia will focus a bit around a double-drop arrangement at Havana and Montego Bay."
China is also interested in investing in a casino project in Jamaica but tourism from China would depend on the additional infrastructure investments at Jamaican airports. The Chinese investment could also to lead to the Asian country spending on Jamaica’s roads, the sugar industry, sports infrastructure and a new convention centre.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Explore the area and enjoy an easy access to all attractions around Falmouth
- Fully equipped fitness centre, watersport activities, tennis court, golf and themed dining evenings to enjoy
- Within 30 minutes by car from Montego Bay International airport and downtown Montego
- Complimentary Wi-fi throughout the hotel
Enjoy the priviliges of bygone days at secrets st. james montego bay, an Adults Only Romantic resort with Unlimited-Luxury Privileges
- Relax & Unwind at the Secrets Spa by Pevonia or watch a live show at the open-air theatre
- Indulge in a host of international cuisine, or dine in with 24-hr room service
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
- Enjoy a range of activities including sailing, snorkelling, windsurfing and tennis
Indulge and revel in the lap of luxury with that special someone when you visit Jamaica.
- This adults-only hotel boasts ultimate tranquility
- Have an enjoyable evening with the nightly theme parties & live entertainment
- Enjoy endless daytime activities such snorkelling, sailing, basketball, catamarans & More
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks at a choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Incredible Savings of up to 50%, book and save up to £800 per person!
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Holiday Inn Sunspree Resort Montego Bay offers a magical location on the beachfront nestled amidst luxury tropical...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...