Bartlett seeks an increase in Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaica's Tourism Minister, is heading to Russia this week to meet with OAO Aeroflot in order to finalise an agreement which is part of a plan aimed at increasing the number of Russian tourists taking Jamaica holidays, from 1500 to 3000.
Edmund Bartlett, Jamaican Tourism Minister, is keen on seeing an increase in the number of Russian tourists taking holidays to Jamaica so he is heading over to Russia this week to work on an agreement with OAO Aeroflot.
Bartlett is looking to form establish an agreement that will increase the number of tourists going on Jamaica holidays from 1,500 per year to 3,000.
Earlier this month, the Tourism Minister visited Brazil where he signed several agreements including one with Brazil’s largest airline, Gol Linhas Aereas Inteligentes SA, and the tour operator CVC, to bring at least 12,000 more travellers from Latin American next year.
"We are moving into new markets, such as South America and Eastern Europe,” Bartlett said last week. "The economies of South America are showing buoyancy in growth and the expansion of middle class in that area."
Tourism in Jamaica accounts for approximately 50 per cent of the Caribbean island’s foreign exchange revenue. The nation’s gross domestic product is expected to increase by 2 per cent in 2011 as tourist revenue grows 3 per cent to a record-breaking $2.2 billion.
Bartlett added that annual increases in revenue will quicken as more visitors arrive on Jamaica holidays from Russia and Brazil, leading to higher occupancy levels in Jamaica hotels.
Jamaica is also negotiating with its northern Caribbean neighbours, Cuba and the Dominican Republic to introduce double-drop flights which will allow countries to share the tourists who are taking holidays in Jamaica, Cuba and the Dominican Republic. This may also help Jamaica to take advantage of the expected influx of travellers from the United States who are heading to Cuba, as the restrictions are eased under the ongoing U.S-Cuba travel embargo.
"Cuba will present some novelty to the North American market, but the North American market is huge," Bartlett added. "We've already made arrangements with the Cuban tourism authority for a multi-destination marketing and multi-airlift arrangements. The discussions I am going to be having in Russia will focus a bit around a double-drop arrangement at Havana and Montego Bay."
China is also interested in investing in a casino project in Jamaica but tourism from China would depend on the additional infrastructure investments at Jamaican airports. The Chinese investment could also to lead to the Asian country spending on Jamaica’s roads, the sugar industry, sports infrastructure and a new convention centre.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Book and save over £500 per family with discounted rates for 2017 and 2018 and up to 2 Kids stay FREE
- Bask on the 2,500 foot private beach or enjoy Sugar Mill Falls park - The biggest aquatic park in the Caribbean
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
Freedom of choice is what it's all about at this adult-only hotel, hedonism ii designed for pure self indulgence of the body, spirit and soul
- Dance the night away at the Famous Club Hurricane Nightclub
- Indulge in the wide selection of food & unlimited drinks including top shelf brands
- Enjoy a vast array of facilities including Kayaking, Water-Skiing, Snorkelling & more
Immerse yourself in a vareity of complimentary activities, excursions and spa treatments
- Relish complimentary perks including a bottle of red wine upon arrival, spa treatments, tours, activities and much more
- Kids Stay, Play and Eat free!
- Incredible resort credit upto $2500 FREE to be used to swim with dolphins, upgrade your wine, spa treatments and much more!
Enjoy a blissful escape to this amazing five star hotel offering endless privileges steps from the Caribbean Sea
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- Stay at the unique beach front Zoetry Montego Bay with Endless Privileges
- If you wish to get out and about from the resort then there is a complimentary shuttle to the Rose Hall shopping Arcade
- All Suites include dedicated butler service. This personalized service is at no extra cost
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
An exclusive, romantic Jamaican holiday awaits you at the Secrets St. James Montego Bay on a secluded beach with a...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Take a sun-kissed break from the stresses of everyday life whilst on a getaway to the Caribbean. Nestled one mile away...
Bringing the essence of all things Jamaican to life, the Shaw Park Beach Hotel and Spa is the quintessential Caribbean...