New Abu Dhabi Marine Village to Welcome Volvo Ocean Race in 2012
A new sailing village will be constructed over the next few months in Abu Dhabi to boost the number of travellers taking watersports-related Abu Dhabi holidays and to accommodate the Volvo Ocean Race's stop in the United Arab Emirate in January 2012.
Marine enthusiasts are being enticed to take Abu Dhabi holidays as construction begins for a new sailing village in the United Arab Emirate which is also scheduled to host the Volvo Ocean Race in January 2012.
The tourism authorities in Abu Dhabi announced the plans for the “Destination Village” on 13th June. The 55,000 square-metre village will feature the flotilla and will be a place for local residents and tourists on holidays in Abu Dhabi to come and see the spectacular yachts as they take a two-week break in the country on the third stop of the round-the-world sailing contest.
The Abu Dhabi tourism authorities are planning to host a series of events to entertain visitors including concerts, receptions, evening events, in-port boat races, and behind-the-scenes tours of Abu Dhabi’s very own entry in the competition; the Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (ADOR) team yacht.
Tourism officials are also hoping that the new village will encourage sailing enthusiasts to take holidays to Abu Dhabi as it will boost long-term possibilities to host winter sailing and a wide range of watersports, which will increase occupancy levels in Abu Dhabi hotels and drive up the number of visitors.
The Director General of Abu Dhabi's Tourism Authority, Mubarak Al Muhairi, explained: "The sea is in our blood and we want to encourage residents, nationals and expatriates alike, to get out onto the water.
"This will ensure that our hosting leaves a lasting legacy for the emirate and will also boost our long-term ambitions to be recognized as a compelling winter sailing and watersports destination."
Contractors will first start construction by drudging the Corniche breakwater which is overlooked by the city’s skyline, so that it is deep enough to accommodate 4.5 metre-keeled yachts.
After the break in Abu Dhabi, the race will continue on to Sanya in China. The sailing competition starts on 29th October 2011 and will include stops at Alicante in Spain; Cape Town in South Africa; Auckland in New Zealand; Itajaí in Brazil; Miami in Florida; Lisbon in Portugal; Lorient in France; and Galway in Ireland.
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the seven United Arab Emirates in the Middle East and a hub for international business and luxury holidays.
The main city is situated on an island on the north-eastern part of the Persian Gulf and during Abu Dhabi holidays, travellers can explore attractions including the beautiful Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Corniche waterfront, Khalifa Park, and several golden sand beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
Relax and enjoy your stay at this five-star resort excellent choice for families
- Enjoy many additional complimentary benefits when staying in the newly refurbished superior rooms
- First child stay free on bed and breakfast up to the age of 14 when sharing with parents
- Amazing choice of award winning restaurants and bars
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free WIFI
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free WIFI
Take a chance to explore the lively Al Barsha district as well as the many attractions Dubai has to offer at DoubleTree...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...