New Abu Dhabi Marine Village to Welcome Volvo Ocean Race in 2012
A new sailing village will be constructed over the next few months in Abu Dhabi to boost the number of travellers taking watersports-related Abu Dhabi holidays and to accommodate the Volvo Ocean Race's stop in the United Arab Emirate in January 2012.
Marine enthusiasts are being enticed to take Abu Dhabi holidays as construction begins for a new sailing village in the United Arab Emirate which is also scheduled to host the Volvo Ocean Race in January 2012.
The tourism authorities in Abu Dhabi announced the plans for the “Destination Village” on 13th June. The 55,000 square-metre village will feature the flotilla and will be a place for local residents and tourists on holidays in Abu Dhabi to come and see the spectacular yachts as they take a two-week break in the country on the third stop of the round-the-world sailing contest.
The Abu Dhabi tourism authorities are planning to host a series of events to entertain visitors including concerts, receptions, evening events, in-port boat races, and behind-the-scenes tours of Abu Dhabi’s very own entry in the competition; the Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (ADOR) team yacht.
Tourism officials are also hoping that the new village will encourage sailing enthusiasts to take holidays to Abu Dhabi as it will boost long-term possibilities to host winter sailing and a wide range of watersports, which will increase occupancy levels in Abu Dhabi hotels and drive up the number of visitors.
The Director General of Abu Dhabi's Tourism Authority, Mubarak Al Muhairi, explained: "The sea is in our blood and we want to encourage residents, nationals and expatriates alike, to get out onto the water.
"This will ensure that our hosting leaves a lasting legacy for the emirate and will also boost our long-term ambitions to be recognized as a compelling winter sailing and watersports destination."
Contractors will first start construction by drudging the Corniche breakwater which is overlooked by the city’s skyline, so that it is deep enough to accommodate 4.5 metre-keeled yachts.
After the break in Abu Dhabi, the race will continue on to Sanya in China. The sailing competition starts on 29th October 2011 and will include stops at Alicante in Spain; Cape Town in South Africa; Auckland in New Zealand; Itajaí in Brazil; Miami in Florida; Lisbon in Portugal; Lorient in France; and Galway in Ireland.
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the seven United Arab Emirates in the Middle East and a hub for international business and luxury holidays.
The main city is situated on an island on the north-eastern part of the Persian Gulf and during Abu Dhabi holidays, travellers can explore attractions including the beautiful Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Corniche waterfront, Khalifa Park, and several golden sand beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Perfection is synonymous with this stunning property on Dubai's Palm Island
- There are 10 restaurants and bars serving a variety of cuisine from all over the globe
- Boasting the Talise Ottoman Spa, where guests can indulge in a host of relaxing treatments and therapies
- 300 AED SPA credit per person per stay for the hotel SPA
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
Take in the stunning 37 acre gardens of a property ideally situated in the heart of Dubai
- Good location from which to exploire Dubai's attractions such as the Burj Khalifa, Dubai Mall or the souks of Deira
- Complimentary shuttle transfer to the Dubai Parks & Resorts themepark. Buy your tickets with us!
- 14 restaurants and bars to suit every type of dining occassion, 4 swimming pools as well as rooms with a marble bath and spa tub
Experience the best of all worlds in Dubai - exceptional accommodation, restauarants, sandy beaches and unmatched shoppin, all for an unbeatable price
- Delight yourself in a culinary adventure with a selection of 16 dining options to tickle your taste buds
- Club Level rooms available providing access additional amenities and exclusive lounge access
- Located on the spectacular Jumeirah Beach adjacent to the Dubai Marina and only 10 minutes from the Emirates shopping mall
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Located in Deira, within old Dubai, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Muraqabat offers a prime opportunity to explore the...
Situated right at the heart of the Port Rashid district, the Hilton Garden Inn Dubai Al Mina sits ideally between the...