New Abu Dhabi Marine Village to Welcome Volvo Ocean Race in 2012
A new sailing village will be constructed over the next few months in Abu Dhabi to boost the number of travellers taking watersports-related Abu Dhabi holidays and to accommodate the Volvo Ocean Race's stop in the United Arab Emirate in January 2012.
Marine enthusiasts are being enticed to take Abu Dhabi holidays as construction begins for a new sailing village in the United Arab Emirate which is also scheduled to host the Volvo Ocean Race in January 2012.
The tourism authorities in Abu Dhabi announced the plans for the “Destination Village” on 13th June. The 55,000 square-metre village will feature the flotilla and will be a place for local residents and tourists on holidays in Abu Dhabi to come and see the spectacular yachts as they take a two-week break in the country on the third stop of the round-the-world sailing contest.
The Abu Dhabi tourism authorities are planning to host a series of events to entertain visitors including concerts, receptions, evening events, in-port boat races, and behind-the-scenes tours of Abu Dhabi’s very own entry in the competition; the Abu Dhabi Ocean Racing (ADOR) team yacht.
Tourism officials are also hoping that the new village will encourage sailing enthusiasts to take holidays to Abu Dhabi as it will boost long-term possibilities to host winter sailing and a wide range of watersports, which will increase occupancy levels in Abu Dhabi hotels and drive up the number of visitors.
The Director General of Abu Dhabi's Tourism Authority, Mubarak Al Muhairi, explained: "The sea is in our blood and we want to encourage residents, nationals and expatriates alike, to get out onto the water.
"This will ensure that our hosting leaves a lasting legacy for the emirate and will also boost our long-term ambitions to be recognized as a compelling winter sailing and watersports destination."
Contractors will first start construction by drudging the Corniche breakwater which is overlooked by the city’s skyline, so that it is deep enough to accommodate 4.5 metre-keeled yachts.
After the break in Abu Dhabi, the race will continue on to Sanya in China. The sailing competition starts on 29th October 2011 and will include stops at Alicante in Spain; Cape Town in South Africa; Auckland in New Zealand; Itajaí in Brazil; Miami in Florida; Lisbon in Portugal; Lorient in France; and Galway in Ireland.
Abu Dhabi is the capital of the seven United Arab Emirates in the Middle East and a hub for international business and luxury holidays.
The main city is situated on an island on the north-eastern part of the Persian Gulf and during Abu Dhabi holidays, travellers can explore attractions including the beautiful Sheikh Zayed Mosque, Corniche waterfront, Khalifa Park, and several golden sand beaches.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai , the only hotel with a restaurant with 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...