Sustainable Fish-friendly Costa Rica holidays at Hilton hotels
Hilton Worldwide signed an agreement this week with the Costa Rican Federation of Fishing Tourism in a bid to elminate marlin and sailfish from their hotel menus. This move will benefit both sportfishing tourism and the wider Costa Rica holidays market.
Showing their commitment and concern over big game catch and unsustainable fishing practices in the region, the Hilton Worldwide hotel chain has liaised with the Costa Rican Federation of Fishing Tourism (FECOPT) to permanently eliminate marlin and sailfish from hotel restaurant menus.
This eco-friendly move by the Hilton brand is another step forward to allow the giant hotelier to better fit in, in a country praised for its natural riches and for their ongoing conservation efforts. It’s a well-known fact that those who take Costa Rica holidays do so for the country’s wealth of nature preserves, rainforests and state-of-the-art eco-friendly hotels that use renewable resources in their installations and for the maintenance of their facilities.
As such, and having such a strong presence in the Costa Rica holidays market, the Hilton brand didn’t want to be left behind or go unnoticed for not showing their commitment to preserve the environment. Thus gaining a new reputation for eco-friendliness, Hilton Hoels in Costa Rica has new badge of sustainability to show off.
Hilton Worldwide has various hotels in Costa Rica at different resorts including Puntarenas, Liberia, Papagayo and San José.
The agreement, signed by Hilton Hotels this week, in conjunction with the FECOPT, is an effort to promote awareness about the vulnerability of marlin and sailfish species in the country, as these are crucial to the country’s sport-fishing tourism industry, in which fish are caught using the tag and release method and thus returning them live to the water. Sportfishing currently accounts for as much as 27 per cent of total tourism income in Costa Rica.
With this new move, Hilton becomes the first hotel chain in Costa Rica to take the step as part of the hotelier programme for Social and Environmental Responsibility.
The decision not to serve these two types of fish aims to both protect a vulnerable species that is crucial to Costa Rican sportfishing tourism while keeping consumers safe from products that may be high in mercury content, according to a statement released by FECOPT.
As it turns out, also during this week, supermarket chain Auto Mercado announced it would remove from its shelves sailfish, marlin, shark and corvineta. In an explanatory note, spokesman for Auto Mercado revealed that the store had decided to remove corvineta after lab tests revealed high levels of mercury and other toxins found in the fish.
Enrique Ramírez, FECOPT Executive Director praised the move. Another one to follow suit with the praises was Ricardo Rodríguez, general manager of Hilton’s DoubleTree Resort in the Pacific port of Puntarenas, who promised similar measures in the future to promote sustainable tourism, better and improved eco-friendly holidays in Costa Rica and a more responsible use of resources.
Previous studies have shown that sailfish and marlin are more valuable alive as a benefit to the marine ecosystem and the sportfishing, and the estimated value of a live marlin or sailfish is about $3,000, while their value is only $125 each when sold as food. According to FECOPT sportfishing in Costa Rica generates some 63,000 jobs and $78 million in tax revenue, so its practice is extremely beneficial for both the tourism industry and the wider economy.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride in Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal in Agra, experience a feast to remember with a traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide will take you around the sightseeing & excursion tours as per the itinerary
- Book before 31st January 2017 and get an exclusive complimentary upgrade to Half Board
Prepare to be wowed and dazzled by mystical encounters, ancient cities, marvellous wonders and unique sites as you discover the real and magical Jordan.
- Enjoy a stop-off at Mount Nebo where Prophet Moses viewed the Promised Land
- Visit the Dead Sea & enjoy a drive along the 2000-year-old Kings Highway
- Experience Petra, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, recently voted as one of the New 7 Wonders of the World
Do the castaway experience in style and live your Robinson Crusoe dream
- Lose yourself in over 3 km of pristine beaches and aquamarine lagoons
- Beautiful bungalows nestled in the tropical gardens or on the beach, right over the lagoon
- Sample mouth-watering delights at a wide selection of dining options from flavours of the Orient to Mediterranean delights
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
Uncover the charms of India as you spend eight days touring some of its most important touristic sites. The Golden...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
A charming little retreat right at the heart of Tunis, Le Pacha is centrally located to give you easy access to all of...