Cuba sees economic increase in Tourism and Cigars
During this month's Bayamanaco Balcony meeting in Havana, Cuba; important trends such as higher-income travellers taking Cuba holidays and the link to the country's much-loved cigar industry were discussed by a group of tourism experts.
A group of tourism experts have been discussing the link between high-earning travellers taking Cuba holidays and the popular industry of Cuban cigars at this month’s meeting in the Bayamanaco Balcony reunion which is currently taking place at Hotel Presidente in Havana, Cuba.
Every month, the group gets together to discuss important trends in the country’s tourism market at a meeting called the Bayamanaco Balcony. During this month’s meeting, the tourism experts discussed topics such as the nation’s tourism industry’s strong links with gastronomy and its link to the increasing number of tourists taking holidays to Cuba.
During the meeting, attendees assessed the growth of the recreational options to be enjoyed during Cuba holidays and the impact they had on the national economy and the tourism industry. Several of the country’s attractions and historic sites are promoted throughout all hotels in Cuba with the objective to target the higher-income tourists.
The Bayamanaco Balcony, also known as the “Balcon de Habano”, gives both Cuban and international producers and distributors the opportunity to introduce new brands of first class products such as liquors, beverages and cigars, which enrich the offerings tourists can enjoy during holidays in Cuba. As well as representatives of beverage and food production houses, the event is also attended by bartenders, managers, journalists and diplomats who have the opportunity to sample these offerings.
Cuba is expecting to receive nearly three millions tourists this year with hopes to attract more visitors from Canada, Russia, France and Italy and closer nations in Latin America such as Argentina.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, Commercial Director of the Tourism Ministry, said: “Three million tourists to Cuba in a year is not far from achieving.”
Cuba travel is also being made accessible to American tourists after U.S. President Barrack Obama eased restrictions on holidays to Cuba for religious, cultural, academic and educational purposes. The President relaxed restrictions on the decades-long U.S-Cuba travel ban in January this year and many airlines and ferry companies have already commenced charter services between airports and ports in the U.S and Cuba.
The majority of tourists who visit Cuba come from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain and Germany (in that order). Currently these countries are the Top 4 with the largest number of holidaymakers visiting the island. In 2009 the island nation recorded a total of 914, 844 Canadian visitors and tourism officials are expecting at least one million tourists from the North American country by the end of 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...