Cuba sees economic increase in Tourism and Cigars
During this month's Bayamanaco Balcony meeting in Havana, Cuba; important trends such as higher-income travellers taking Cuba holidays and the link to the country's much-loved cigar industry were discussed by a group of tourism experts.
A group of tourism experts have been discussing the link between high-earning travellers taking Cuba holidays and the popular industry of Cuban cigars at this month’s meeting in the Bayamanaco Balcony reunion which is currently taking place at Hotel Presidente in Havana, Cuba.
Every month, the group gets together to discuss important trends in the country’s tourism market at a meeting called the Bayamanaco Balcony. During this month’s meeting, the tourism experts discussed topics such as the nation’s tourism industry’s strong links with gastronomy and its link to the increasing number of tourists taking holidays to Cuba.
During the meeting, attendees assessed the growth of the recreational options to be enjoyed during Cuba holidays and the impact they had on the national economy and the tourism industry. Several of the country’s attractions and historic sites are promoted throughout all hotels in Cuba with the objective to target the higher-income tourists.
The Bayamanaco Balcony, also known as the “Balcon de Habano”, gives both Cuban and international producers and distributors the opportunity to introduce new brands of first class products such as liquors, beverages and cigars, which enrich the offerings tourists can enjoy during holidays in Cuba. As well as representatives of beverage and food production houses, the event is also attended by bartenders, managers, journalists and diplomats who have the opportunity to sample these offerings.
Cuba is expecting to receive nearly three millions tourists this year with hopes to attract more visitors from Canada, Russia, France and Italy and closer nations in Latin America such as Argentina.
Jose Manuel Bisbe, Commercial Director of the Tourism Ministry, said: “Three million tourists to Cuba in a year is not far from achieving.”
Cuba travel is also being made accessible to American tourists after U.S. President Barrack Obama eased restrictions on holidays to Cuba for religious, cultural, academic and educational purposes. The President relaxed restrictions on the decades-long U.S-Cuba travel ban in January this year and many airlines and ferry companies have already commenced charter services between airports and ports in the U.S and Cuba.
The majority of tourists who visit Cuba come from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain and Germany (in that order). Currently these countries are the Top 4 with the largest number of holidaymakers visiting the island. In 2009 the island nation recorded a total of 914, 844 Canadian visitors and tourism officials are expecting at least one million tourists from the North American country by the end of 2011.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...