Peace at last, the Caribbean holiday market vs UK APD tax
It looks like the Caribbean and the UK government have reached a concensus on the much-heated APD tax debate. For the foreseeable future the UK government announced it would freeze APD charges, which could allow Caribbean tourism to get back on track.
There are ongoing celebrations in the Caribbean tourism industry after recent news revealed that the UK government had finally placed a freeze on Air Passenger Duty (APD) charges which had been previously resulting in higher aviation taxes that affected the Caribbean region the most.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation (CTO) is rejoicing over the fact that, for the foreseeable future at least, Great Britain won’t be over-taxing its citizens when they decide to take holidays in the Caribbean. The CTO is also hoping that with the lack of these ever-increasing taxes, British tourists will return to the Caribbean islands for perfect, sun-kissed Caribbean holidays while holiday home buyers from the UK can be drawn back towards purchasing holiday properties in the Caribbean.
As the Caribbean has always enjoyed very close ties with Britain, this piece of news are welcomed by all the islands, which have lately been missing the considerable inflow of British tourists. These sunny islands are famous for being second home to a significant number of UK expats who own real estate in countries like St. Kitts, a very popular destination for Real Estate holiday homes in the Caribbean.
But the islands are largely popular among British holidaymakers too, and not the kind that buy properties abroad, but the ones who come year after year to enjoy postcard perfect Caribbean holidays under the region’s ever shining sun. The region is also highly appealing to a large segment of UK holidaymakers who like to stay in deluxe Caribbean hotels and enjoy luxury holidays in the Caribbean’s exotic beaches with reliably hot weather.
In short, the Caribbean economy relies strongly on tourism, which is the backbone of all enterprises in the region. In fact, it is safe to say that British tourism and property investment makes up the lifeblood of the Caribbean economy. The region thrives on what has always been a blossoming relationship with the UK travel market, having received over a million British visitors last year.
So, these APD travel charges which began in November 2010, were wreaking havoc in the Caribbean holidays market, having a serious negative impact on tourism to the islands.
The reason these taxes were inappropriately high was the result of the way they were calculated by a four tier banding system that measured the amount of duty levied according to the distance between London and the destination country’s capital city. However, since New York is on the East Coast of America, the taxes still charged less for flights to Hawaii even though it is 3,000 miles further from the UK than the Caribbean.
This meant that those travellers from the UK taking holidays to the Caribbean had to pay a whopping £75 per person in economy class, which placed a huge deciding burden when it came to selecting their holiday destination.
In turn, tour operators, resorts and hotels in the Caribbean had to slash their prices to keep visitors interested, and they all suffered a significant profit decrease as a result. For example in order to avoid the deterring effect of APD charges, Caribbean tour operator Funway offered to pay the Air Passenger Duty tax for all bookings to Sandals hotels in the region and provided 40 per cent discounts at a few of their resorts.
Now that Britain has officially frozen the Air Passenger Duty tax, directors are suggesting that the levy be subject to further review. Carlos Vogeler, United Nations World Tourism Organisation's Director for the Americas has described the tax as unfair and as posing a threat to tourism growth and development.
The Caribbean Tourism Organisation has, for some time now, been campaigning for the current banding systems of the APD to be modified, and they hope that their needs will be heard sooner than later. The good news is that this pesky tax is currently being negotiated in government talks.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Incredible January exclusive - Receive a free upgrade to the next room type when booking with The Holiday Place
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Create unforgettable memories at the heart of Barbados' western coast at a collection of one bedroom apartments. Halcyon...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
You can enjoy all the aspects of this charming island, as the elegant eco-friendly property is located near all the...