Cuba to create Golf Federation for 2016 Olympics
The president of the Cuban Olympic Federation has announced that Cuba will be adding two new sports to its national federation. The two new disciplines will be golf and rugby and he promised golf would no longer be just for tourists on Cuba holidays.
According to Cuba’s national news agency (ACN) the country is planning to establish golf as a national sport and develop its practise over the few coming years in time for the country to enter hopeful golf competitors in the 2016 Olympic Games, due to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
During an interview with Prensa Latina News Agency, the president of the Cuban Olympic Committee, Jose Ramon Fernandez revealed that although golf installations proved very expensive to create and very costly to maintain, golf shouldn’t be just a high-end sport aimed at the elite, but that instead it should be to the reach of every Cuban, not just tourists who go on Cuba holidays to
enjoy some of its championship golf courses.
“The tourism ministry has among its projects to increase the number of golf courses,” Fernandez explained. “But they know the cost is very high and maintenance is exclusive. Growing the grass, irrigation and mowing require exceptional attention. Cuba will tend to the sport as a function of tourism, and we will try to use everything we can in this direction.”
Despite the high costs of construction, maintenance and day-to-day operation of golf courses, Jose Ramon Fernandez said that the new move to make Golf a national sport in Cuba, available to everyone’s reach was approved by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and fully backed by Cuban authorities.
“There are very few golf courses here,” Fernandez admitted, while adding that new ones were on schedule to be added very soon (and most to serve the ludicrous Cuba holidays market).
“Cuba’s existing golf courses are used for tourism, not for sports” he declared, while expressing his earnest dedication to change this and direct the further construction of golf courses to serve a public interest and introduce this elitist sport to the wider population.
In addition to golf, Cuba also requested to add another new sport to the island’s Olympic federation. Likewise, in time for the 2016 Olympics, the Cuban Olympic Committee will create a Rugby federation as this sport will also bow as a new Olympic discipline in 2016’s games. The inclusion of rugby and golf as new Olympic sports were decided during the 121st session of the COC in Copenhague, which took place in 2009.
In the meantime, those travelling to Cuba for the purpose of enjoying relaxing Cuba holidays, will be able to do so at the Varadero Golf Club and the Havana Golf Club, both premium championship courses complete with all facilities. Further golf developments for tourists are under the pipeline with four initial projects totalling more than $1.5 billion and which will include luxury accommodation facilities, spas and commercial centres.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- The perfect 5* multi centre mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury all suite Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Cuba has to offer and also offers a free shuttle to and from the Old City Centre
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Bellevue Palma Real Varadero is a special hotel as it is authentically Cuban in every respect, from the food to the...