Cuba to create Golf Federation for 2016 Olympics
The president of the Cuban Olympic Federation has announced that Cuba will be adding two new sports to its national federation. The two new disciplines will be golf and rugby and he promised golf would no longer be just for tourists on Cuba holidays.
According to Cuba’s national news agency (ACN) the country is planning to establish golf as a national sport and develop its practise over the few coming years in time for the country to enter hopeful golf competitors in the 2016 Olympic Games, due to take place in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.
During an interview with Prensa Latina News Agency, the president of the Cuban Olympic Committee, Jose Ramon Fernandez revealed that although golf installations proved very expensive to create and very costly to maintain, golf shouldn’t be just a high-end sport aimed at the elite, but that instead it should be to the reach of every Cuban, not just tourists who go on Cuba holidays to
enjoy some of its championship golf courses.
“The tourism ministry has among its projects to increase the number of golf courses,” Fernandez explained. “But they know the cost is very high and maintenance is exclusive. Growing the grass, irrigation and mowing require exceptional attention. Cuba will tend to the sport as a function of tourism, and we will try to use everything we can in this direction.”
Despite the high costs of construction, maintenance and day-to-day operation of golf courses, Jose Ramon Fernandez said that the new move to make Golf a national sport in Cuba, available to everyone’s reach was approved by the IOC (International Olympic Committee) and fully backed by Cuban authorities.
“There are very few golf courses here,” Fernandez admitted, while adding that new ones were on schedule to be added very soon (and most to serve the ludicrous Cuba holidays market).
“Cuba’s existing golf courses are used for tourism, not for sports” he declared, while expressing his earnest dedication to change this and direct the further construction of golf courses to serve a public interest and introduce this elitist sport to the wider population.
In addition to golf, Cuba also requested to add another new sport to the island’s Olympic federation. Likewise, in time for the 2016 Olympics, the Cuban Olympic Committee will create a Rugby federation as this sport will also bow as a new Olympic discipline in 2016’s games. The inclusion of rugby and golf as new Olympic sports were decided during the 121st session of the COC in Copenhague, which took place in 2009.
In the meantime, those travelling to Cuba for the purpose of enjoying relaxing Cuba holidays, will be able to do so at the Varadero Golf Club and the Havana Golf Club, both premium championship courses complete with all facilities. Further golf developments for tourists are under the pipeline with four initial projects totalling more than $1.5 billion and which will include luxury accommodation facilities, spas and commercial centres.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...