Caribbean holidays amongst Top Long Haul Travel Destinations
A recent report carried out by Hayes & Jarvis has revealed that Caribbean holidays are amongst the group of winners to successfully emerge from the unsettled market for long haul travel due to tactical pricing and discounts from Caribbean hotel companies.
Despite the recent turbulent economic times and an unsettled market for long haul travel, the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has increased so much that the tropical region has emerged as one of the star destinations of 2011.
According to the recent Long Haul Travel report by Hayes and Jarvis, Travel to the Caribbean increased after several Caribbean hoteliers launched a series of tactical discounts for tourists. The report also unveiled that Malaysia recorded better results than Thailand last year by launching price initiatives such as the recent £2 flight offer for travellers.
Mexico surfaced as the clear overall winner after it received an increase of 140 per cent in bookings compared to 2010, with the country still benefiting from an increase in travellers taking Cancun holidays due to the introduction of new direct British Airways flights to the region last winter. This year the popular Central-American destination was declared Hayes and Jarvis’ Fastest Growing Destination by some distance.
Mexico closely followed Egypt and Sri Lanka for best value all inclusive package holidays but the clear winner in this category is the Caribbean where a series of packages for June 2011 include 40 per cent off Barbados holidays, 33 per cent off Antigua holidays, and 32 per cent off St Lucia holidays.
This year Egypt holidays are struggling to recover after the revolution and political riots. Cairo and Luxor are largely suffering but the Red Sea resorts have enabled the country to emerge as the best value destination in the Hayes and Jarvis Package Price Index, as tourists choose from several value-for-money deals in locations such as Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Commercial Director of Hayes and Jarvis, Niel Alobaidi, said: “There are amazing offers for travel to Egypt because of events earlier this year, both on hotels and air fares. This extends to Dubai, which has also been impacted by the negative publicity although multi-centre bookings where the Emirate is a stopover destination have not been adversely affected. From our past experience with destinations like Thailand, we know that popular resort areas are quick to bounce back and we would not be surprised to see Egypt regain lost ground in the months ahead.”
He added: “Early in 2011 we saw an increase in All Inclusive bookings and a drop in average holiday durations, which reflected the lack of consumer confidence and caution being exercised pre-Budget. However, now that we are well into the late booking summer market and bookings for next winter are contributing an increasing proportion of our sales with great deals available across the board, the volume of All Inclusive bookings has steadied to the same level – 20 per cent – as a year ago.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your next summer holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Aug 2017
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...