Caribbean holidays amongst Top Long Haul Travel Destinations
A recent report carried out by Hayes & Jarvis has revealed that Caribbean holidays are amongst the group of winners to successfully emerge from the unsettled market for long haul travel due to tactical pricing and discounts from Caribbean hotel companies.
Despite the recent turbulent economic times and an unsettled market for long haul travel, the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has increased so much that the tropical region has emerged as one of the star destinations of 2011.
According to the recent Long Haul Travel report by Hayes and Jarvis, Travel to the Caribbean increased after several Caribbean hoteliers launched a series of tactical discounts for tourists. The report also unveiled that Malaysia recorded better results than Thailand last year by launching price initiatives such as the recent £2 flight offer for travellers.
Mexico surfaced as the clear overall winner after it received an increase of 140 per cent in bookings compared to 2010, with the country still benefiting from an increase in travellers taking Cancun holidays due to the introduction of new direct British Airways flights to the region last winter. This year the popular Central-American destination was declared Hayes and Jarvis’ Fastest Growing Destination by some distance.
Mexico closely followed Egypt and Sri Lanka for best value all inclusive package holidays but the clear winner in this category is the Caribbean where a series of packages for June 2011 include 40 per cent off Barbados holidays, 33 per cent off Antigua holidays, and 32 per cent off St Lucia holidays.
This year Egypt holidays are struggling to recover after the revolution and political riots. Cairo and Luxor are largely suffering but the Red Sea resorts have enabled the country to emerge as the best value destination in the Hayes and Jarvis Package Price Index, as tourists choose from several value-for-money deals in locations such as Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Commercial Director of Hayes and Jarvis, Niel Alobaidi, said: “There are amazing offers for travel to Egypt because of events earlier this year, both on hotels and air fares. This extends to Dubai, which has also been impacted by the negative publicity although multi-centre bookings where the Emirate is a stopover destination have not been adversely affected. From our past experience with destinations like Thailand, we know that popular resort areas are quick to bounce back and we would not be surprised to see Egypt regain lost ground in the months ahead.”
He added: “Early in 2011 we saw an increase in All Inclusive bookings and a drop in average holiday durations, which reflected the lack of consumer confidence and caution being exercised pre-Budget. However, now that we are well into the late booking summer market and bookings for next winter are contributing an increasing proportion of our sales with great deals available across the board, the volume of All Inclusive bookings has steadied to the same level – 20 per cent – as a year ago.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Oct
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Explore the historic and cultural wonders of Cuba's spellbinding capital as you unwind over an eight-day getaway. Havana...