Caribbean holidays amongst Top Long Haul Travel Destinations
A recent report carried out by Hayes & Jarvis has revealed that Caribbean holidays are amongst the group of winners to successfully emerge from the unsettled market for long haul travel due to tactical pricing and discounts from Caribbean hotel companies.
Despite the recent turbulent economic times and an unsettled market for long haul travel, the number of travellers taking Caribbean holidays has increased so much that the tropical region has emerged as one of the star destinations of 2011.
According to the recent Long Haul Travel report by Hayes and Jarvis, Travel to the Caribbean increased after several Caribbean hoteliers launched a series of tactical discounts for tourists. The report also unveiled that Malaysia recorded better results than Thailand last year by launching price initiatives such as the recent £2 flight offer for travellers.
Mexico surfaced as the clear overall winner after it received an increase of 140 per cent in bookings compared to 2010, with the country still benefiting from an increase in travellers taking Cancun holidays due to the introduction of new direct British Airways flights to the region last winter. This year the popular Central-American destination was declared Hayes and Jarvis’ Fastest Growing Destination by some distance.
Mexico closely followed Egypt and Sri Lanka for best value all inclusive package holidays but the clear winner in this category is the Caribbean where a series of packages for June 2011 include 40 per cent off Barbados holidays, 33 per cent off Antigua holidays, and 32 per cent off St Lucia holidays.
This year Egypt holidays are struggling to recover after the revolution and political riots. Cairo and Luxor are largely suffering but the Red Sea resorts have enabled the country to emerge as the best value destination in the Hayes and Jarvis Package Price Index, as tourists choose from several value-for-money deals in locations such as Hurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Commercial Director of Hayes and Jarvis, Niel Alobaidi, said: “There are amazing offers for travel to Egypt because of events earlier this year, both on hotels and air fares. This extends to Dubai, which has also been impacted by the negative publicity although multi-centre bookings where the Emirate is a stopover destination have not been adversely affected. From our past experience with destinations like Thailand, we know that popular resort areas are quick to bounce back and we would not be surprised to see Egypt regain lost ground in the months ahead.”
He added: “Early in 2011 we saw an increase in All Inclusive bookings and a drop in average holiday durations, which reflected the lack of consumer confidence and caution being exercised pre-Budget. However, now that we are well into the late booking summer market and bookings for next winter are contributing an increasing proportion of our sales with great deals available across the board, the volume of All Inclusive bookings has steadied to the same level – 20 per cent – as a year ago.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 4th May 2017
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...