BBC unveils findings of new pyramids in Egypt
Travellers have a new reason to take Egypt holidays after the BBC recently reported that 17 lost pyramids have been discovered thanks to a new satellite survey of the country. The survey also unveiled more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.
Ever popular Egypt holidays look set to increase in appeal after the BBC documentary: “Egypt’s Lost Cities”, unveiled the findings of 17 lost pyramids during a new satellite survey that was carried out in the country.
The project was led by U.S Egyptologist, Dr Sarah Park, from the University of Alabama in Birmingham and at least two excavations have been confirmed as pyramids in Saqqara. Dr Sarah Park told the BBC:
“I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the ‘aha’ moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we’d found. I couldn’t believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt. To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archaeologist.”
The team discovered the historic sites after analysing images from orbiting satellites located 400 miles above the Earth and equipped with powerful cameras that could pin-point objects less than one metre in diameter on the earth’s surface. Infra-red images were then used to highlight the different materials found beneath the surface.
Dr. Parcak said that she believes that the new findings are just a few of many sites which have yet to be discovered: "These are just the sites [close to] the surface. There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered over with silt. This is just the beginning of this kind of work."
More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also discovered and the new sites will eventually join the existing collection of ancient pyramids and tombs as some exciting, new tourist attractions for visitors taking holidays to Egypt.
The discovery is good news for the country’s tourism officials who have been working hard to promote holidays in Egypt after the disruption that the revolution revolt caused earlier this year. Many Egypt hotels are still seeing low occupancy levels in major cities.
Popular spots such as Cairo and Luxor have suffered since the political riots but many travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays in the country’s popular Red Sea diving resorts such asHurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Egypt’s most famous and historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Explore the historical surroundings and have a comfortable stay at Mercure Cairo le Sphinx
- Only 35 kilometres from Cairo's international airport
- Guests can enjoy the swimming pool or benefit from the Jacuzzi and all massage treatments the hotel offers
- Rooftop terrace with a memorable breathtaking views of the pyramids
Enjoy a unique Nile Cruise on a comfortable ship featuring panoramic views of the Nile from your cabin
- The Swiss Inn Superior Radamis I is a first class Nile Cruise ship which offers a voyage of luxury and discovery
- Each of the spacious cabins offers comfortable furnishings and panoramic views of the Nile
- Amenities on board the Radamis I include a sundeck and pool, a fitness area and a restaurant which serves a variety of dishes
The ultimate Egyptian backdrop in the shadow of the only remaining ancient wonder of the world.
- Indulge the mind, body and spirit in Indulge spa. Take advantage of the steam room, sauna, whirlpool and chill out zones
- Set in landscaped gardens, equipped with two heated swimming pools and bar, Le Meridien enjoys spectacular views of the Pyramids, just a short drive from Cairo
- World famous dining with international, Mexican and Oriental menus to be savoured
Stay in comfortable cabins with air-conditioning and elegant dining rooms
- Benefit from the fabulous view of karnak, valley of the kingsand the temple of Philae
- Never waste a minute of your holiday with all night entertainment like the belly dancing show and other typical Egyptian performances
- Enjoy the large sun deck with loungers and a swimming pool a massage service is also available on the sundeck
Now you can stop imagining how it would be to visit the cradle of mankind and paddle along the legendary River Nile and...
Venture to the land of the Pharaohs of yore for an unforgettable eight days of leisure and adventure. Luxor is one of...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
The popularity of the city of Luxor as one of the treasure troves of historical ruins in Egypt is well known. Grab this...
Experience the thrill of a jaunt to the famous Valley of the Kings as you explore one of Egypt's touristic gems, Luxor....
Enjoying a central location in Luxor, directly on the banks of the Nile and within 10 min walking distance from Luxor...