BBC unveils findings of new pyramids in Egypt
Travellers have a new reason to take Egypt holidays after the BBC recently reported that 17 lost pyramids have been discovered thanks to a new satellite survey of the country. The survey also unveiled more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.
Ever popular Egypt holidays look set to increase in appeal after the BBC documentary: “Egypt’s Lost Cities”, unveiled the findings of 17 lost pyramids during a new satellite survey that was carried out in the country.
The project was led by U.S Egyptologist, Dr Sarah Park, from the University of Alabama in Birmingham and at least two excavations have been confirmed as pyramids in Saqqara. Dr Sarah Park told the BBC:
“I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the ‘aha’ moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we’d found. I couldn’t believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt. To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archaeologist.”
The team discovered the historic sites after analysing images from orbiting satellites located 400 miles above the Earth and equipped with powerful cameras that could pin-point objects less than one metre in diameter on the earth’s surface. Infra-red images were then used to highlight the different materials found beneath the surface.
Dr. Parcak said that she believes that the new findings are just a few of many sites which have yet to be discovered: "These are just the sites [close to] the surface. There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered over with silt. This is just the beginning of this kind of work."
More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also discovered and the new sites will eventually join the existing collection of ancient pyramids and tombs as some exciting, new tourist attractions for visitors taking holidays to Egypt.
The discovery is good news for the country’s tourism officials who have been working hard to promote holidays in Egypt after the disruption that the revolution revolt caused earlier this year. Many Egypt hotels are still seeing low occupancy levels in major cities.
Popular spots such as Cairo and Luxor have suffered since the political riots but many travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays in the country’s popular Red Sea diving resorts such asHurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Egypt’s most famous and historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Ideal for those who love the sun and sea with its own private beach and marina, a professional diving centre, a water sports centre and swimming pools.
- A prime location, beside a lovely sandy beach, just minutes from buzz of downtown Hurghada
- Kids can enjoy their own kids' club and pool, whilst adults can play tennis, squash or beach volleyball
- Guests can unwind and enjoy the magnificent view from their private balcony
Relax at Naama Bay with pleasant grounds and wonderful amenities to keep you occupied
- Visitors flock to Pirates, for an eveing drink, before or after sampling some wonderful cuisine in the array of restaurants
- Prime spot in Naama bay, as it was one of the first hotels in the area. The grounds are well tended and mature, with colourful plants and shrubs throughout
- Guest accommodation is discrete, with low rise bungalows dotted throughout the beautiful garden setting. Rooms and suites are light and airy, are tastefully furnished and come with all modern amenities
Splash in the Red Sea, marvel at the marine life and enjoy the luxuries at this all suite Red Sea Beach resort
- Enjoy pure luxury at this all suite resort
- Rejuvenate your body and relax your mind in the Beautifully appointed Oberoi Spa
- Voted the No. 1 hotel in Hurghada by Trip Advisor
Enjoy access to 3 protected beaches, close proximity to the trendy strip of Naama Bay and its sizzling nightlife
- There is a myriad of activities on offer from relaxing treatments at the Club Olympus Spa to exciting land and water sports
- Choose from fantastic dining options including seasonal specialities, a charcoal grill, and Thai cuisine
- Adventure seekers can enjoy jeep safaris, quad bikes, mountain treks, and camel expeditions
Enjoy six days of sun and sand accompanied by uninterrupted leisure at Egypt's sought-after Sharm El Sheikh resort town...
Sharm El Sheikh is one of Egypt's best kept secrets. Spend six blissful days here enjoying the beauty of the Sinai...
Venture into the land of the pyramids and Pharaohs for a holiday you'll never forget. Besides the incredible history of...
Discover a submarine world filled with life while you enjoy the lush facilities and accommodations of the Hilton...
Seize this opportunity to explore the mystical land of Egypt as you spend a week next to the shores of the mighty Red...
Renaissance Golden View Beach Resort nestles into a dramatic headland overlooking the Ras Mohammed National Park. This...