BBC unveils findings of new pyramids in Egypt
Travellers have a new reason to take Egypt holidays after the BBC recently reported that 17 lost pyramids have been discovered thanks to a new satellite survey of the country. The survey also unveiled more than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements.
Ever popular Egypt holidays look set to increase in appeal after the BBC documentary: “Egypt’s Lost Cities”, unveiled the findings of 17 lost pyramids during a new satellite survey that was carried out in the country.
The project was led by U.S Egyptologist, Dr Sarah Park, from the University of Alabama in Birmingham and at least two excavations have been confirmed as pyramids in Saqqara. Dr Sarah Park told the BBC:
“I could see the data as it was emerging, but for me the ‘aha’ moment was when I could step back and look at everything that we’d found. I couldn’t believe we could locate so many sites all over Egypt. To excavate a pyramid is the dream of every archaeologist.”
The team discovered the historic sites after analysing images from orbiting satellites located 400 miles above the Earth and equipped with powerful cameras that could pin-point objects less than one metre in diameter on the earth’s surface. Infra-red images were then used to highlight the different materials found beneath the surface.
Dr. Parcak said that she believes that the new findings are just a few of many sites which have yet to be discovered: "These are just the sites [close to] the surface. There are many thousands of additional sites that the Nile has covered over with silt. This is just the beginning of this kind of work."
More than 1,000 tombs and 3,000 ancient settlements were also discovered and the new sites will eventually join the existing collection of ancient pyramids and tombs as some exciting, new tourist attractions for visitors taking holidays to Egypt.
The discovery is good news for the country’s tourism officials who have been working hard to promote holidays in Egypt after the disruption that the revolution revolt caused earlier this year. Many Egypt hotels are still seeing low occupancy levels in major cities.
Popular spots such as Cairo and Luxor have suffered since the political riots but many travellers have continued to take Egypt holidays in the country’s popular Red Sea diving resorts such asHurghada and Sharm el Sheikh.
Egypt’s most famous and historic pyramids can be found in Giza on the outskirts of Cairo, and the largest Egyptian pyramid is the Pyramid of Khufu.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Egypt Browse all
Enjoy plenty of opportunities for relaxations and entertainment at this luxury all inclusive resort
- Make the most of your holiday with the on-site Pirates Diving School who offer a range of PADI courses suitable for all ages
- Indulge in some spectacular cuisines with a wide variety of 11 restaurants and bars to choose from
- Enjoy a relaxing day on the private beach or let loose with a host of water sports
The most popular choice for divers, snorkellers and water sports enthusiasts, this is a resort that has it all.
- Relax and spoil yourself at the health club with gym, steam room and sauna
- Benefit from the Kids' Club with daily activities, an entertainment centre and their own playground
- Ideal location beside a private beach just 15 minutes from Hurghada airport and 20 kilometres from the centre of Hurghada
Enjoy a fun-filled stay on King's Island in the Nile River, with plenty of activities on offer at the hotel as well as being only a 10 minute drive away from Luxor downtown
- Cocktails, beverages and light meals are served in the lounge and drinks on deck until sun set
- Great selection of bars and restaurants, with everything from buffet to fine French cuisine, plus the Fellah Tent provides an overview of Oriental traditions
- Leisure facilities include two large swimming pools with waterfalls, separate children's pool and an adults only pool, plus floodlit tennis courts, a jogging track, fishing, an air conditioned gym and more!
Ideally located on the eastern bank of the Nile, the hotel offers an oasis of luxury with excellent facilities and beautiful views across the Nile
- This hotel is a haven of relaxation where you can lie back in a sun lounge immersed in one of the hotel's infinity pools or relax in a shaded hammock and take in the views
- There are seven restaurants and bars to chose from including the elegant Sunset Lounge and Terrace which serves cocktails and snacks as well as stunning sunset views
- The Hilton Luxor features contemporary guest rooms, excellent facilities and uninterrupted views across the Nile
Discover Egypt's beautiful capital as you take a 15-day holiday at the amazing Sofitel El Gezirah hotel. Set on a small...
The Oberoi Sahl Hasheesh is a luxurious all-suite resort located in Hurghada on Egypt's Red Sea Coast. This secluded...
Make the Egyptian city of Luxor your home for eight days as you discover the timeless treasures that make this country...
Cairo is one of the world's most important tourist cities; seize this chance to find out what makes this magical city...
Enter into the colourful clash of cultures that is Cairo and marvel at the ageless monuments that adorn the capital of...
Cairo is a place of rich contrasts; a bustling metropolis which still hosts some of Egypt's most treasured historical...