Minister unveils concessions to benefit Jamaica holiday sector
Jamaica's Tourism Minister, Edmund Bartlett has revealed further information about the new waiver and concession package which will be awarded to ground motor vehicles that are used within the Jamaica holidays industry for tourism sector purposes.
Jamaican companies operating motor vehicles within the tourism sector could soon see changes to the duties charged after Jamaica’s Tourism Minister Edmund Bartlett revealed further details about the new waiver and concession package which will be granted to the tourism ground transportation sector.
During the 50th Annual General Meeting of the Jamaica Hotel and Tourist Association (JHTA) which took place in Ocho Rios, St Ann last week, Bartlett announced that the current discretionary waiver and import quota would be replaced by a more efficient system which will speed up the waiver application process.
Those companies operating motor vehicles in the Jamaica holidays and tourism sector will now be able to apply to the Ministry of Tourism for waivers and these applications will then be passed onto the Jamaica Customs Department for approval.
The new waiver and concessions package will enable car rental companies to benefit from a 10 per cent drop in the 30 per cent duty that they currently pay, allowing them to provide more competitive car hire prices for tourists taking holidays in Jamaica.
Bartlett explained that no GCT would be payable on motor vehicles with engines smaller than 2.0 cc for petrol and 2.2 cc for diesel.
He added: "Buses with 15-24 seats imported by dealers will attract no duty for either petrol or diesel units, while those imported by individuals will attract five per cent for petrol units and no duty on diesel units.”
The Tourism Minister addressed other issues during his speech including a new task force which is being headed by the president of the Caribbean Hotel and Tourism Association, Josef Forstmayr. The task force will look at issues that are affecting the Jamaica holidays industry including visa problems, regulations and legislation.
"I need that guidance to formulate the new policy drive for the next 20 years. That committee, when its work is done, will complement the Don Wehby committee, which is now doing the economic impact study of tourism on Jamaica's economy," Bartlett said.
Bartlett also announced that the recent $10 increase in head tax for travellers visiting Jamaica will be spent be spent on stronger marketing campaigns. These campaigns will be aimed at attracting tourists from emerging markets such as Brazil, Russia, India, Mexico, Indonesia and China; which will result in higher visitor arrivals and increased occupancy levels for Jamaica hotels and resorts.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Jamaica Browse all
Surround yourself in the heart of negril soaking up the sun by day and enjoy the buzzing nightlife
- Activities at the resort includes windsurfing, sailing,water skiing and much more
- Trip Advisor Winners of Excellence
- Rooms with stunning views of the caribbean
Luxury and romance at Secrets Wild Orchid Montego Bay
- Catamaran for the exclusive use by Secrets Resorts & Spas guests
- World-class Spa by Pevonia®
- Exclusively situated on Montego Bay’s breathtaking Peninsula, surrounded by the Caribbean Sea
- Huge savings when you upgrade to a Preferred Club room or Preferred Club Junior Suite
Enjoy free round-trip transfers and complimentary golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- Enjoy a holiday of a lifetime with various extras including free round trip transfers and complimentary 18-hole golf at the nearby Negril Hill Golf Course
- 24-Hour Gourmet Dining, Premium Alcoholic Beverages & Soft Drinks
- Choice of 5 unique restaurants and 4 Bars including a Swim-up bar
- Complimentary excursions including a trip to a popular sunset bar or a brillant catamaran cruise
With a waterpark, onsite Robert Von Hagge Championship Golf Course and a spa for the ultimate in wellbeing, Hilton Rose Hall offers a dream holiday
- Indulge in a spa treatment or play a round of golf at Cinnamon Hill Golf Course
- Experience great all-inclusive options at 7 fantastic restaurants, bars and grills
- Enjoy the private beach and Sugar Mill Falls Water Park nearby
Enjoy the perfect setting for a romantic honeymoon or tropical wedding at the all inclusive Mangos Jamaica. This adults...
Experience firsthand the enchantment of Jamaica's magical Montego Bay as you enjoy the holiday of a lifetime. The Hilton...
Montego Bay is simply a postcard made real. It is one of Jamaica's premier resorts, covered in fine white sands and...
Spoil yourself with a week of sun and sand at one of Jamaica's most beautiful beaches. Your eight days in Rooms On The...
Club Ambience is set on the shoreline in Runaway Bay, a small town in the parish of St Ann on the north coast of...
Treat yourself to Jamaican sunshine perfectly paired with all-inclusive delights. Located on the white sand beaches of...