Tourism Minister said Mexico holiday resorts are safe
The Mexican Secretary of Tourism, Gloria Guevara, has made an announcement to the American media that all tourist destinations in the country are safe for Mexico holidays but that travellers are advised to stay away from some cities within the border.
Gloria Guevara, the Mexican Tourism Minister has announced that all tourists destinations across the country are safe for Mexico holidays, despite the recent media reports.
The Tourism Minister addressed the American Media recently saying: "I would say that people can go to all the tourist destinations because all the tourist destinations are fine. It depends on whatever you like, but there are a lot of places you should visit and have a great time. Stay away from a couple of cities within the border."
The U.S. Department recently urged travellers not to take Mexico holidays to the states of Tamaulipas and Michoacan, and avoid areas such as Sonora, Jalisco, Chihuahua, Coahuila, Durango, Sinaloa, Zacatecas, and San Luis Potosi; due to an increase in drug violence and crime.
Guevara added: "My message is Mexico is a pretty large country. We do have a challenge, but Mexico has the equivalent of 2,500 counties. Eighty of those are the ones having the challenge. That’s less than 4 per cent.
"What I tell the travellers is they need to get a map. It would be very helpful for them to understand what cities are involved. They might have trouble in Juarez; 2,000 miles from there is totally safe.
"It’s like in the U.S: If there is an issue in L.A, does that mean that you don’t go to New York? Or if there is an issue in Las Vegas, do you not go to Chicago?"
Many tourists have continued to take luxury holidays in Mexico to popular destinations that include the Riviera Maya, Cancun, Acapulco and the flourishing new luxury destination resort at Cape Verde. Tourists going on holidays to the Riviera Maya in Cancun can enjoy the breathtaking natural surroundings made up of pristine white sand beaches, turquoise lagoons, one of the world's largest coral reefs, and lush tropical forests.
During holidays to Cancun, travellers can take part in snorkelling or scuba diving activities; explore the ancient archaeological Mayan ruins; and swim with dolphins.
All of the mentioned safe tourist destinations offer a wide range of luxury hotels and resorts in the city or by the beach and are perfect for relaxing holidays whether in Cancun and the Rivera Maya, in Acapulco or Cape Verde...all perfectly safe and violence free.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...