The holiday industry in Cuba is leading the islands economy
Newly gathered data on Cuba holidays and the island's tourism industry has showed that the country works like a "well-oiled machine"; an important factor that can lead the economy as the country looks set to welcome nearly three million tourists this year
New data from the Cuba's National Statistics Office (ONE) has showed that Cuba holidays and the tourism industry in general; are helping the country run like a "well-oiled machine".
The data shows a boom in tourists visiting Cuba during the first four months of 2011 compared to the same period last year, with an 11.9 per cent increase. From January to April 2011, a total of 1,179,963 international tourists took holidays in Cuba, and in April alone, the island nation received 275, 401 tourists, a 13.4 per cent increase on the same month last year.
In 2010, 2.5 million travelllers took Cuba holidays which signalled a 4.2 per cent rise on 2009 and this tourist arrivals for 2011 are expected to surpass 2.7 million, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, Russia and Chile.
Havanatur, the International Group of Tour Operators and Travel Agents, is the biggest supplier, bring 600,000 tourists to the Caribbean island during the first quarter of 2011.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, recently announced that Cuba is the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean and the Cuban government plans to improve this position if the visitor arrivals continue to thrive. The country is expecting an influx of new visotrs from the United States this year after U.S President Obama announced earlier this year that Cuba travel restrictions would be eased for American travellers taking relgious, academic, cultural or educational Cuba holidays.
Last year, 2792 new rooms were built in new and exisiting Cuba hotels across the island including popular tourist destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria (Villa Clara) and Varadero. The country curently has approximately 50,000 rooms within 300 hotels in Cuba, and there are plans to develop more hotels as well as golf courses and resorts.
Over the last decade, Cuba has received 30 million visitors despite missing out on the American market, and as the American travel restrictions gradually ease, the beautiful country is expected to become the leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view - limited availability
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...