The holiday industry in Cuba is leading the islands economy
Newly gathered data on Cuba holidays and the island's tourism industry has showed that the country works like a "well-oiled machine"; an important factor that can lead the economy as the country looks set to welcome nearly three million tourists this year
New data from the Cuba's National Statistics Office (ONE) has showed that Cuba holidays and the tourism industry in general; are helping the country run like a "well-oiled machine".
The data shows a boom in tourists visiting Cuba during the first four months of 2011 compared to the same period last year, with an 11.9 per cent increase. From January to April 2011, a total of 1,179,963 international tourists took holidays in Cuba, and in April alone, the island nation received 275, 401 tourists, a 13.4 per cent increase on the same month last year.
In 2010, 2.5 million travelllers took Cuba holidays which signalled a 4.2 per cent rise on 2009 and this tourist arrivals for 2011 are expected to surpass 2.7 million, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, Russia and Chile.
Havanatur, the International Group of Tour Operators and Travel Agents, is the biggest supplier, bring 600,000 tourists to the Caribbean island during the first quarter of 2011.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, recently announced that Cuba is the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean and the Cuban government plans to improve this position if the visitor arrivals continue to thrive. The country is expecting an influx of new visotrs from the United States this year after U.S President Obama announced earlier this year that Cuba travel restrictions would be eased for American travellers taking relgious, academic, cultural or educational Cuba holidays.
Last year, 2792 new rooms were built in new and exisiting Cuba hotels across the island including popular tourist destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria (Villa Clara) and Varadero. The country curently has approximately 50,000 rooms within 300 hotels in Cuba, and there are plans to develop more hotels as well as golf courses and resorts.
Over the last decade, Cuba has received 30 million visitors despite missing out on the American market, and as the American travel restrictions gradually ease, the beautiful country is expected to become the leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...