The holiday industry in Cuba is leading the islands economy
Newly gathered data on Cuba holidays and the island's tourism industry has showed that the country works like a "well-oiled machine"; an important factor that can lead the economy as the country looks set to welcome nearly three million tourists this year
New data from the Cuba's National Statistics Office (ONE) has showed that Cuba holidays and the tourism industry in general; are helping the country run like a "well-oiled machine".
The data shows a boom in tourists visiting Cuba during the first four months of 2011 compared to the same period last year, with an 11.9 per cent increase. From January to April 2011, a total of 1,179,963 international tourists took holidays in Cuba, and in April alone, the island nation received 275, 401 tourists, a 13.4 per cent increase on the same month last year.
In 2010, 2.5 million travelllers took Cuba holidays which signalled a 4.2 per cent rise on 2009 and this tourist arrivals for 2011 are expected to surpass 2.7 million, with the majority of travellers originating from Canada, the United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, Russia and Chile.
Havanatur, the International Group of Tour Operators and Travel Agents, is the biggest supplier, bring 600,000 tourists to the Caribbean island during the first quarter of 2011.
The Tourism Minister of Cuba, Manuel Marrero, recently announced that Cuba is the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean and the Cuban government plans to improve this position if the visitor arrivals continue to thrive. The country is expecting an influx of new visotrs from the United States this year after U.S President Obama announced earlier this year that Cuba travel restrictions would be eased for American travellers taking relgious, academic, cultural or educational Cuba holidays.
Last year, 2792 new rooms were built in new and exisiting Cuba hotels across the island including popular tourist destinations such as Cayo Santa Maria (Villa Clara) and Varadero. The country curently has approximately 50,000 rooms within 300 hotels in Cuba, and there are plans to develop more hotels as well as golf courses and resorts.
Over the last decade, Cuba has received 30 million visitors despite missing out on the American market, and as the American travel restrictions gradually ease, the beautiful country is expected to become the leading tourist destination in the Caribbean.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...