Cuba, third largest Caribbean holiday destination
The recent influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays has led to the island becoming the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean, with 30 million visitors over the last decade, according to Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero has announced that Cuba has become the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean with the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays increasing each year.
The Tourism Minister spoke at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair (FIT) Cuba 2011 saying that over the last decade, the Caribbean island had seen over 30 million international tourists take holidays to Cuba.
In 2010, more than 2.5 million tourists took holidays in Cuba, which was a 4.2 per cent increase from 2009. The majority of tourists who go on Cuba holidays each year originate from Canada, United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, and Russia.
During his speech Marrero said that visitor arrivals would be much higher if American citizens were not restricted from Cuba travel due to the decades-long embargo.
Earlier this year, President of the United States, Barrack Obama, eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American tourists who were taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Restrictions have also been relaxed for Cuban-American who wish to return to their home country more regularly.
Cuba is expecting nearly three million international tourists to come to the island on holidays by the end of 2011 and this target looks possible as traveller numbers have already increased for the first quarter of 2011 when compared to the figures from the same period in 2010.
Many charter flights and ferry companies have begun operating services to provide transport services for Cuba holidays for travellers from the U.S.
The Caribbean island boasts beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites and a tropical climate. The communist island nation is famous for its culture, food, music, dancing and diverse scenery including beautiful beaches, the azure warm ocean waters of the Caribbean Sea, breathtaking mountain ranges and virgin cays.
The island is home to a range of Cuba hotels, from luxury all inclusive resorts, to B&Bs, guest houses, Casa Particulares, and historic city hotels; travellers have an ample choice when deciding where to stay according to their needs, budgets and interests.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Submerge yourself into the interesting culture of Old Havana while you spend 8 days at one of its most centric and...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...