Cuba, third largest Caribbean holiday destination
The recent influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays has led to the island becoming the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean, with 30 million visitors over the last decade, according to Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero has announced that Cuba has become the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean with the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays increasing each year.
The Tourism Minister spoke at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair (FIT) Cuba 2011 saying that over the last decade, the Caribbean island had seen over 30 million international tourists take holidays to Cuba.
In 2010, more than 2.5 million tourists took holidays in Cuba, which was a 4.2 per cent increase from 2009. The majority of tourists who go on Cuba holidays each year originate from Canada, United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, and Russia.
During his speech Marrero said that visitor arrivals would be much higher if American citizens were not restricted from Cuba travel due to the decades-long embargo.
Earlier this year, President of the United States, Barrack Obama, eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American tourists who were taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Restrictions have also been relaxed for Cuban-American who wish to return to their home country more regularly.
Cuba is expecting nearly three million international tourists to come to the island on holidays by the end of 2011 and this target looks possible as traveller numbers have already increased for the first quarter of 2011 when compared to the figures from the same period in 2010.
Many charter flights and ferry companies have begun operating services to provide transport services for Cuba holidays for travellers from the U.S.
The Caribbean island boasts beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites and a tropical climate. The communist island nation is famous for its culture, food, music, dancing and diverse scenery including beautiful beaches, the azure warm ocean waters of the Caribbean Sea, breathtaking mountain ranges and virgin cays.
The island is home to a range of Cuba hotels, from luxury all inclusive resorts, to B&Bs, guest houses, Casa Particulares, and historic city hotels; travellers have an ample choice when deciding where to stay according to their needs, budgets and interests.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...