Cuba, third largest Caribbean holiday destination
The recent influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays has led to the island becoming the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean, with 30 million visitors over the last decade, according to Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero has announced that Cuba has become the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean with the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays increasing each year.
The Tourism Minister spoke at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair (FIT) Cuba 2011 saying that over the last decade, the Caribbean island had seen over 30 million international tourists take holidays to Cuba.
In 2010, more than 2.5 million tourists took holidays in Cuba, which was a 4.2 per cent increase from 2009. The majority of tourists who go on Cuba holidays each year originate from Canada, United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, and Russia.
During his speech Marrero said that visitor arrivals would be much higher if American citizens were not restricted from Cuba travel due to the decades-long embargo.
Earlier this year, President of the United States, Barrack Obama, eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American tourists who were taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Restrictions have also been relaxed for Cuban-American who wish to return to their home country more regularly.
Cuba is expecting nearly three million international tourists to come to the island on holidays by the end of 2011 and this target looks possible as traveller numbers have already increased for the first quarter of 2011 when compared to the figures from the same period in 2010.
Many charter flights and ferry companies have begun operating services to provide transport services for Cuba holidays for travellers from the U.S.
The Caribbean island boasts beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites and a tropical climate. The communist island nation is famous for its culture, food, music, dancing and diverse scenery including beautiful beaches, the azure warm ocean waters of the Caribbean Sea, breathtaking mountain ranges and virgin cays.
The island is home to a range of Cuba hotels, from luxury all inclusive resorts, to B&Bs, guest houses, Casa Particulares, and historic city hotels; travellers have an ample choice when deciding where to stay according to their needs, budgets and interests.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- This offer includes a free Historical Havana Tour
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...