Cuba, third largest Caribbean holiday destination
The recent influx of travellers taking Cuba holidays has led to the island becoming the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean, with 30 million visitors over the last decade, according to Cuban Tourism Minister, Manuel Marrero.
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero has announced that Cuba has become the third largest tourist destination in the Caribbean with the number of travellers taking Cuba holidays increasing each year.
The Tourism Minister spoke at the opening ceremony of the International Tourism Fair (FIT) Cuba 2011 saying that over the last decade, the Caribbean island had seen over 30 million international tourists take holidays to Cuba.
In 2010, more than 2.5 million tourists took holidays in Cuba, which was a 4.2 per cent increase from 2009. The majority of tourists who go on Cuba holidays each year originate from Canada, United Kingdom, Spain, Argentina, and Russia.
During his speech Marrero said that visitor arrivals would be much higher if American citizens were not restricted from Cuba travel due to the decades-long embargo.
Earlier this year, President of the United States, Barrack Obama, eased restrictions on Cuba travel for American tourists who were taking Cuba holidays for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Restrictions have also been relaxed for Cuban-American who wish to return to their home country more regularly.
Cuba is expecting nearly three million international tourists to come to the island on holidays by the end of 2011 and this target looks possible as traveller numbers have already increased for the first quarter of 2011 when compared to the figures from the same period in 2010.
Many charter flights and ferry companies have begun operating services to provide transport services for Cuba holidays for travellers from the U.S.
The Caribbean island boasts beautiful natural landscapes, historic sites and a tropical climate. The communist island nation is famous for its culture, food, music, dancing and diverse scenery including beautiful beaches, the azure warm ocean waters of the Caribbean Sea, breathtaking mountain ranges and virgin cays.
The island is home to a range of Cuba hotels, from luxury all inclusive resorts, to B&Bs, guest houses, Casa Particulares, and historic city hotels; travellers have an ample choice when deciding where to stay according to their needs, budgets and interests.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic tour
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Enjoy a complimentary Cultural Presentation
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...