Gran Caribe Hotel Chain to merge two Cuba hotels
Two aging and decaying Havana hotels; the Vedado and the Saint John's will merge to create an improved hotel homplex that will comprise a total of almost 300 guest rooms; providing more choice and better quality facilities at the heart of the capital city
Two of Havana's most well known hotel properties in the modern Vedado district will go through a thorough transformation process as they are to be merged as part of one larger hotel complex, in order to provide guests with improved facilities and services in the heart of Havana. Government owned hotel company, Gran Caribe Hotels S.A. announced the merger of the Vedado and the Saint John's hotels through an online communiquee on the web, without stating any reasons for the procedure. It's obvious however, that both hotels were in major need of TLC as both were aging and decaying, without having received much needed maintenance work for some time. Although they were both adequate for budget stays during holidays in Cuba, with the Saint John's being the better of the two, they both still called for complete refurbishment and renovation work.
Both Havana hotels are within a block's distance of each other in a popular business and entertainment area very close to the Malecon seawall (only a short stroll away) and night entertainment centres. So, a good revamping make up to both these properties will certainly enhance the quality of choice for travellers planning their holidays to Cuba in the fascinating Havana City.
The new hotel complex that will result from the merger of these two hotels is due to be completed during some time this year (no fixed date has been given as of yet) and such a fusion will create a bigger complex with a total of 284 guest rooms. The new hotel property will combine the offers of the two former establishments with the addition of some new features, as explained by Gran Caribe, the company that manages both properties.
During a press conference with the Cuban Agency of News, ACN, Gran Caribe's Adamaris Perez, a promotion specialist referred to one of the main appealing aspects of this lodging: its location in the La Rampa neighbourhood, only a few metres from the large 23 Avenue and close to the city's most important cities, the seawall and other sites of cultural and historical value.
"The complex will comprise 199 rooms in the Vedado hotel and 85 in Saint John's, in the category of doubles, triples and junior suites or mini suits, with views of the sea, the city or the interiors, which will feature, air conditioning, telephone, satellite television, private bathrooms and safe deposit boxes" - Perez explained.
She also highlighted the fact that new guests will enjoy all facilities from both hotel properties which include three restaurants: Chez Vedado, El Cortijo, La Plaza and Marakas as well as " (...) two cafeterias, two lobby bars and two snack bars ' one of which is the stage for performances from virtuosos of the genre of romantic Cuban music, one with grill and the other located in Saint John´s 15th floor viewpoint which also has a swimming pool". Of course there´s also an additional swimming pool at the Vedado hotel and guests enjoying their Cuba holidays at either of these properties will get a choice of where to top up their tan.
Other entertainment facilities that will be included as part of these two hotel´s merge include popular evening venues such as the Flamingo Piano Bar and the Pico Blanco Night Centre, located at Saint John's highest point and also "internationally known as the Feeling Corner (El Rincon del Feeling) and stage to local artists such as Cesar Portillo de la Luz, Jose Antonio Mendez, Ñico Rojas and Marta Valdes".
The full list of facilities that will be available as the result of this merging project will be completed by a tourist desk, a gym, a currency exchange facility, a shop, an Internet cafe, an art gallery and meeting room space for special events, business meetings and celebrations.
We only hope that many other small and run-down, budget Cuba hotels will be soon to follow and receive their much deserved refurbishment work for better, more pleasant Cuba holidays in Havana that don't cost the earth. And we can only also hope that a dramatic price increase is not the result of these refurbishment projects in Havana hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays Browse all
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Dec
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
Spend wonderful days exploring India's most iconic landmarks, diving deep into a world of wonder with a wealth of spectacular sights to discover
- Includes entrance fees at all monuments as per the itinerary
- Enjoy a traditional rickshaw ride through Old Delhi, see the majestic Taj Mahal, experience traditional Rajasthani family dinner in vibrant Jaipur and much more
- An English-Speaking local Guide
For an amazing price, you can experience a tropical paradise where everything is included - Ambre Resort offers affordable luxury for all to enjoy
- Make the most of glass-bottomed boat trips, kayaking, snorkelling and green fees at the nearby Ile aux Cerfs Golf Club
- Enjoy a selection of restaurants and Bars inlcuding a swim-up bar
- Ambre resort has stunning views of the Indian Ocean and boasts a 750-metre long white natural beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Situated just minutes from the Bugibba promenade, Sunflower hotel enjoys an excellent location in the popular area of...
Discreet and unpretentious, yet charming and welcoming, Hotel Phebus enjoys a quiet location at the heart of La Marsa -...