Cuba to improve tourism offerings without reducing prices
Cuba's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero, has stated that despite the decline in international tourism, the Caribbean island will not be reducing the prices of Cuba holidays to entice travellers but will instead be improving the quality of its offerings
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the country will be improving the quality of its Cuba holidays and tourism offerings without reducing the prices, despite the decline in global tourism and limited access to the U.S market.
During a speech at the 31st FITCUBA International Tourism Fair last month, Marrero said: “Cuba will never consider the reduction of prices as a solution to the fluctuation between the high and the low seasons, because that will damage Cuba’s image as a tourist destination.”
He added that althought it was still difficult for American tourists to take holidays to Cuba because of the ongoing U.S. Cuba travel embargo, the Caribbean island was seeing an increase in visitors from Canada, the United Kingdom, and France.
Marrero pointed out that the number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first four months of 2011, had grown by 11.7 per cent in comparison to the same period in 2010, with the number of visitor arrivals reaching nearly 1.2 million so far this year.
Cuba holidays in Varadero, Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Largo, and Holguin are amongst the favourites for visitors and the province of Villa Clara is emerging as a popular tourist destination, particularly among Canadian travellers.
Havana city, the capital of Cuba and host of FITCUBA 2011, remains the most important and popular tourist destination for visitors, with 95 per cent of the country’s tourist arrivals visiting the city at some point during their holidays in Cuba.
The island has incorporated 2,792 new rooms into its Cuba hotels and resorts and over 4,000 rooms have been renovated recently.
Visitors can enjoy the luxury of tailor made holidays to Cuba with the help of tour operators and travel agents who offer a range of cultural, historic, or environmental packages for holiday makers visiting the island throughout the year.
Marrero added that the island nation is seeing additional investment in airports, an increase in cruise arrivals, and the improvement of local and non-governmental tourism offerings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Soak up the history and culture in Havana before a luxurious stay at one of Varadero's most stunning beachfront resorts
- Rooftop swimming pool and jacuzzi at Parque Central where you can look over the spectacular city of Havana
- Bella Vista sits on Varadero's pristine stretch of beach with 24-Hour all-inclusive services
- Endless range of facilities and activities for the perfect stay in your beachfront paradise
- Discover Havana’s timeless, charismatic and bustling streets with a Havana city tour
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...