Cuba to improve tourism offerings without reducing prices
Cuba's Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero, has stated that despite the decline in international tourism, the Caribbean island will not be reducing the prices of Cuba holidays to entice travellers but will instead be improving the quality of its offerings
The Cuban Minister of Tourism, Manuel Marrero, has announced that the country will be improving the quality of its Cuba holidays and tourism offerings without reducing the prices, despite the decline in global tourism and limited access to the U.S market.
During a speech at the 31st FITCUBA International Tourism Fair last month, Marrero said: “Cuba will never consider the reduction of prices as a solution to the fluctuation between the high and the low seasons, because that will damage Cuba’s image as a tourist destination.”
He added that althought it was still difficult for American tourists to take holidays to Cuba because of the ongoing U.S. Cuba travel embargo, the Caribbean island was seeing an increase in visitors from Canada, the United Kingdom, and France.
Marrero pointed out that the number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first four months of 2011, had grown by 11.7 per cent in comparison to the same period in 2010, with the number of visitor arrivals reaching nearly 1.2 million so far this year.
Cuba holidays in Varadero, Cayo Santa Maria, Cayo Largo, and Holguin are amongst the favourites for visitors and the province of Villa Clara is emerging as a popular tourist destination, particularly among Canadian travellers.
Havana city, the capital of Cuba and host of FITCUBA 2011, remains the most important and popular tourist destination for visitors, with 95 per cent of the country’s tourist arrivals visiting the city at some point during their holidays in Cuba.
The island has incorporated 2,792 new rooms into its Cuba hotels and resorts and over 4,000 rooms have been renovated recently.
Visitors can enjoy the luxury of tailor made holidays to Cuba with the help of tour operators and travel agents who offer a range of cultural, historic, or environmental packages for holiday makers visiting the island throughout the year.
Marrero added that the island nation is seeing additional investment in airports, an increase in cruise arrivals, and the improvement of local and non-governmental tourism offerings.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Well located in the heart of Havana's historic Old town, close to Central Park and minutes away from the National Theatre, the Capitol and Hemingway's favourite bar, the Floridita
- Iberostar Parque Central is a great base to discover all this unique city has to offer
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero such as erobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and much more.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...