Mexico predicts $3.5 billion in foreign tourism investment over next three years
Mexican authorities are predicting $3.5 billion worth of tourism investment over the next three years which will create approximately 20,000 new jobs and see the development of new hotels and resorts for travellers embarking on Mexico holidays.
Travellers taking Mexico holidays over the next couple of years will experience a significant change in the country’s tourism offerings as Mexican authorities announce foreign investment to reach $3.5 billion by 2014.
The foreign investment will mainly come from Spanish, German and Asian companies and will lead to the creation of 20,000 new jobs, according to the announcement; which came from the Economy Secretary Bruno Ferrari and Tourism Secretary Gloria Guevara at a recent press conference.
Guevara stated that $2.5 billion in investments are already committed and another $1 billion is expected as hotel groups such as Melia and Barcelo continue to develop hotels and resorts for Mexico holidays in Cancun and other popular beach resorts in the country.
"We're working with investors to support small and medium business," Ferrari said.
“The tourism industry is the country's third-largest source of income, representing 9 per cent of the gross domestic product and is "a great potential and opportunity for Mexico's economic growth."
Barcelo and Melia both operate a number of Cancun hotels including the Barceló Costa Cancun, Barceló Tucancun Beach Hotel, Gran Meliá Cancún, and ME Cancun All Inclusive.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular destinations for Mexico holidays. The area boasts pristine beaches, turquoise lagoons, and an array of historic Mayan archaeological sites such as Las Ruinas del Rey and El Mec.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can explore the underwater art museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor, and is situated in the crystal clear waters of the National Marine Park of Cancun.
Cancun is the gateway to the Riviera Maya, which is another popular destination for holidays in Mexico. The Riviera Maya boasts several luxury boutique hotels and resorts, fine dining restaurants and access to the second longest barrier reef in the world. The region’s palm-fringed beaches and turquoise warm waters offer plenty of opportunities for activities such as kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins and enjoying guided tours of the lush tropical jungle.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Adults only resort promising great parties and only 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Stay for 10 Nights or more and up to 2 kids up to the age of 12 stay free
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...