Mexico predicts $3.5 billion in foreign tourism investment over next three years
Mexican authorities are predicting $3.5 billion worth of tourism investment over the next three years which will create approximately 20,000 new jobs and see the development of new hotels and resorts for travellers embarking on Mexico holidays.
Travellers taking Mexico holidays over the next couple of years will experience a significant change in the country’s tourism offerings as Mexican authorities announce foreign investment to reach $3.5 billion by 2014.
The foreign investment will mainly come from Spanish, German and Asian companies and will lead to the creation of 20,000 new jobs, according to the announcement; which came from the Economy Secretary Bruno Ferrari and Tourism Secretary Gloria Guevara at a recent press conference.
Guevara stated that $2.5 billion in investments are already committed and another $1 billion is expected as hotel groups such as Melia and Barcelo continue to develop hotels and resorts for Mexico holidays in Cancun and other popular beach resorts in the country.
"We're working with investors to support small and medium business," Ferrari said.
“The tourism industry is the country's third-largest source of income, representing 9 per cent of the gross domestic product and is "a great potential and opportunity for Mexico's economic growth."
Barcelo and Melia both operate a number of Cancun hotels including the Barceló Costa Cancun, Barceló Tucancun Beach Hotel, Gran Meliá Cancún, and ME Cancun All Inclusive.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular destinations for Mexico holidays. The area boasts pristine beaches, turquoise lagoons, and an array of historic Mayan archaeological sites such as Las Ruinas del Rey and El Mec.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can explore the underwater art museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor, and is situated in the crystal clear waters of the National Marine Park of Cancun.
Cancun is the gateway to the Riviera Maya, which is another popular destination for holidays in Mexico. The Riviera Maya boasts several luxury boutique hotels and resorts, fine dining restaurants and access to the second longest barrier reef in the world. The region’s palm-fringed beaches and turquoise warm waters offer plenty of opportunities for activities such as kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins and enjoying guided tours of the lush tropical jungle.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...