Mexico predicts $3.5 billion in foreign tourism investment over next three years
Mexican authorities are predicting $3.5 billion worth of tourism investment over the next three years which will create approximately 20,000 new jobs and see the development of new hotels and resorts for travellers embarking on Mexico holidays.
Travellers taking Mexico holidays over the next couple of years will experience a significant change in the country’s tourism offerings as Mexican authorities announce foreign investment to reach $3.5 billion by 2014.
The foreign investment will mainly come from Spanish, German and Asian companies and will lead to the creation of 20,000 new jobs, according to the announcement; which came from the Economy Secretary Bruno Ferrari and Tourism Secretary Gloria Guevara at a recent press conference.
Guevara stated that $2.5 billion in investments are already committed and another $1 billion is expected as hotel groups such as Melia and Barcelo continue to develop hotels and resorts for Mexico holidays in Cancun and other popular beach resorts in the country.
"We're working with investors to support small and medium business," Ferrari said.
“The tourism industry is the country's third-largest source of income, representing 9 per cent of the gross domestic product and is "a great potential and opportunity for Mexico's economic growth."
Barcelo and Melia both operate a number of Cancun hotels including the Barceló Costa Cancun, Barceló Tucancun Beach Hotel, Gran Meliá Cancún, and ME Cancun All Inclusive.
Situated on the Yucatan Peninsula, Cancun is one of the most popular destinations for Mexico holidays. The area boasts pristine beaches, turquoise lagoons, and an array of historic Mayan archaeological sites such as Las Ruinas del Rey and El Mec.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can explore the underwater art museum which was created by British sculptor, Jason deCaires Taylor, and is situated in the crystal clear waters of the National Marine Park of Cancun.
Cancun is the gateway to the Riviera Maya, which is another popular destination for holidays in Mexico. The Riviera Maya boasts several luxury boutique hotels and resorts, fine dining restaurants and access to the second longest barrier reef in the world. The region’s palm-fringed beaches and turquoise warm waters offer plenty of opportunities for activities such as kayaking, sailing, snorkelling, scuba diving, swimming with dolphins and enjoying guided tours of the lush tropical jungle.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- Go for the Unlimited-Luxury Experience at one of Mexico's most coveted all-inclusive resorts
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...