Bahamas Airline Hopes to Launch Cuba Flights This Summer
Bahamas airline, Western Air, has announced that it could be providing flights for to Cuba holidays from as early as this summer if they receive approval from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority.
The Bahamas air carrier, Western Air, has announced that it could be launching flights to Cuba holidays this summer if they receive the go-ahead from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority this week.
Last week, the Director of Operations for Western Air, Seyfert Wolf, said that a meeting was scheduled with Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority on Friday 20th May to gain approval for the expansion of the airline’s services to Havana in Cuba.
“We have a meeting with the licensing board for approval for additional licensing,” Wolf explained. “Once we get the approval we applied for then we’ll be able to move to the next stage and start planning and put everything in motion.”
If all goes well, the airline could be providing direct flights for holidays to Cuba as early as this summer.
Wolf added that if the airline gains approval locally it will take approximately 30 days to gain approval from the aviation authority in Cuba. After those approvals are granted, the airline will have a 90-day window to prepare the new service for Cuba travel.
According to Wolf, Western Air originally intended to launch the new flights to Cuba at the end of March but regulatory approvals from the US are still pending. The airline is also planning expansion into the United States but those flights will have to wait until after the Cuba services are up and running.
As well as providing Cuba holidays for its customers, Western Air is looking to expand its offerings in the Bahamas holidays industry by introducing flights from Nassau to Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and routes from Freeport and Marsh Harbour in Abaco to Fort Lauderdale.
“It looks like the economy is improving and that’s encouraging for us,” Wolf said. “We had a good Bimini regatta weekend and are looking forward to the Exuma one as well. It looks like the Bahamian traveller is starting to feel a little bit more confident and is doing some travelling, and we are ensuring that we are in a position to capitalize on that.”
The airline director has hinted that they might be expanding their Caribbean holidays to the Dominican Republic but an additional three aircraft would be needed to provide the service.
After the recent easing of restrictions of the decades-long US-Cuba travel embargo, the new flights to Havana will come at a good time as many American travellers are planning their holidays to Cuba and might want to combine it with Bahamas holidays. Western Air will soon been giving these American travellers the ease of travelling between these two Caribbean islands with the flexibility of creating their own tailor made holidays to both destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...