Bahamas Airline Hopes to Launch Cuba Flights This Summer
Bahamas airline, Western Air, has announced that it could be providing flights for to Cuba holidays from as early as this summer if they receive approval from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority.
The Bahamas air carrier, Western Air, has announced that it could be launching flights to Cuba holidays this summer if they receive the go-ahead from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority this week.
Last week, the Director of Operations for Western Air, Seyfert Wolf, said that a meeting was scheduled with Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority on Friday 20th May to gain approval for the expansion of the airline’s services to Havana in Cuba.
“We have a meeting with the licensing board for approval for additional licensing,” Wolf explained. “Once we get the approval we applied for then we’ll be able to move to the next stage and start planning and put everything in motion.”
If all goes well, the airline could be providing direct flights for holidays to Cuba as early as this summer.
Wolf added that if the airline gains approval locally it will take approximately 30 days to gain approval from the aviation authority in Cuba. After those approvals are granted, the airline will have a 90-day window to prepare the new service for Cuba travel.
According to Wolf, Western Air originally intended to launch the new flights to Cuba at the end of March but regulatory approvals from the US are still pending. The airline is also planning expansion into the United States but those flights will have to wait until after the Cuba services are up and running.
As well as providing Cuba holidays for its customers, Western Air is looking to expand its offerings in the Bahamas holidays industry by introducing flights from Nassau to Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and routes from Freeport and Marsh Harbour in Abaco to Fort Lauderdale.
“It looks like the economy is improving and that’s encouraging for us,” Wolf said. “We had a good Bimini regatta weekend and are looking forward to the Exuma one as well. It looks like the Bahamian traveller is starting to feel a little bit more confident and is doing some travelling, and we are ensuring that we are in a position to capitalize on that.”
The airline director has hinted that they might be expanding their Caribbean holidays to the Dominican Republic but an additional three aircraft would be needed to provide the service.
After the recent easing of restrictions of the decades-long US-Cuba travel embargo, the new flights to Havana will come at a good time as many American travellers are planning their holidays to Cuba and might want to combine it with Bahamas holidays. Western Air will soon been giving these American travellers the ease of travelling between these two Caribbean islands with the flexibility of creating their own tailor made holidays to both destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Enjoy an amazing twin centre full of enjoyment for everyone at occidental miramar and breezes bella costa
The two hotels combine for an amazing holiday experience fit for everyone from couples to families at occidental miramar and breezes bella
- The Memories Miramar Havana is located in an elegant residential neighbourhood of Miramar and enjoys beautiful ocean views
- Both hotels offer fantastic amenities and facilities which makes the hotels a great choice for both families and couples
- Bella Costa is located on one of the world's finest beaches - Varadero
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...