Bahamas Airline Hopes to Launch Cuba Flights This Summer
Bahamas airline, Western Air, has announced that it could be providing flights for to Cuba holidays from as early as this summer if they receive approval from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority.
The Bahamas air carrier, Western Air, has announced that it could be launching flights to Cuba holidays this summer if they receive the go-ahead from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority this week.
Last week, the Director of Operations for Western Air, Seyfert Wolf, said that a meeting was scheduled with Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority on Friday 20th May to gain approval for the expansion of the airline’s services to Havana in Cuba.
“We have a meeting with the licensing board for approval for additional licensing,” Wolf explained. “Once we get the approval we applied for then we’ll be able to move to the next stage and start planning and put everything in motion.”
If all goes well, the airline could be providing direct flights for holidays to Cuba as early as this summer.
Wolf added that if the airline gains approval locally it will take approximately 30 days to gain approval from the aviation authority in Cuba. After those approvals are granted, the airline will have a 90-day window to prepare the new service for Cuba travel.
According to Wolf, Western Air originally intended to launch the new flights to Cuba at the end of March but regulatory approvals from the US are still pending. The airline is also planning expansion into the United States but those flights will have to wait until after the Cuba services are up and running.
As well as providing Cuba holidays for its customers, Western Air is looking to expand its offerings in the Bahamas holidays industry by introducing flights from Nassau to Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and routes from Freeport and Marsh Harbour in Abaco to Fort Lauderdale.
“It looks like the economy is improving and that’s encouraging for us,” Wolf said. “We had a good Bimini regatta weekend and are looking forward to the Exuma one as well. It looks like the Bahamian traveller is starting to feel a little bit more confident and is doing some travelling, and we are ensuring that we are in a position to capitalize on that.”
The airline director has hinted that they might be expanding their Caribbean holidays to the Dominican Republic but an additional three aircraft would be needed to provide the service.
After the recent easing of restrictions of the decades-long US-Cuba travel embargo, the new flights to Havana will come at a good time as many American travellers are planning their holidays to Cuba and might want to combine it with Bahamas holidays. Western Air will soon been giving these American travellers the ease of travelling between these two Caribbean islands with the flexibility of creating their own tailor made holidays to both destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...