Bahamas Airline Hopes to Launch Cuba Flights This Summer
Bahamas airline, Western Air, has announced that it could be providing flights for to Cuba holidays from as early as this summer if they receive approval from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority.
The Bahamas air carrier, Western Air, has announced that it could be launching flights to Cuba holidays this summer if they receive the go-ahead from the Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority this week.
Last week, the Director of Operations for Western Air, Seyfert Wolf, said that a meeting was scheduled with Department of Civil Aviation Air Transport License Authority on Friday 20th May to gain approval for the expansion of the airline’s services to Havana in Cuba.
“We have a meeting with the licensing board for approval for additional licensing,” Wolf explained. “Once we get the approval we applied for then we’ll be able to move to the next stage and start planning and put everything in motion.”
If all goes well, the airline could be providing direct flights for holidays to Cuba as early as this summer.
Wolf added that if the airline gains approval locally it will take approximately 30 days to gain approval from the aviation authority in Cuba. After those approvals are granted, the airline will have a 90-day window to prepare the new service for Cuba travel.
According to Wolf, Western Air originally intended to launch the new flights to Cuba at the end of March but regulatory approvals from the US are still pending. The airline is also planning expansion into the United States but those flights will have to wait until after the Cuba services are up and running.
As well as providing Cuba holidays for its customers, Western Air is looking to expand its offerings in the Bahamas holidays industry by introducing flights from Nassau to Jacksonville and Fort Lauderdale in Florida, and routes from Freeport and Marsh Harbour in Abaco to Fort Lauderdale.
“It looks like the economy is improving and that’s encouraging for us,” Wolf said. “We had a good Bimini regatta weekend and are looking forward to the Exuma one as well. It looks like the Bahamian traveller is starting to feel a little bit more confident and is doing some travelling, and we are ensuring that we are in a position to capitalize on that.”
The airline director has hinted that they might be expanding their Caribbean holidays to the Dominican Republic but an additional three aircraft would be needed to provide the service.
After the recent easing of restrictions of the decades-long US-Cuba travel embargo, the new flights to Havana will come at a good time as many American travellers are planning their holidays to Cuba and might want to combine it with Bahamas holidays. Western Air will soon been giving these American travellers the ease of travelling between these two Caribbean islands with the flexibility of creating their own tailor made holidays to both destinations.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...