Award-Winning Dubai International Airport Sees Growth in Passenger Traffic
After winning the prestigious title of "Middle East's Leading Airport 2011" at the World Travel Awards, Dubai International Airport has also recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays in April 2011.
Just Recently Dubai International Airport recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays and business trips in April 2011 with passenger numbers reaching 4.23 million. During the same month last year, the airport served 3.74 million passengers and officials say that this drop in traffic was due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland last year.
The airport was named the “Middle East’s Leading Airport 2011” at the World Travel Awards for the second consecutive year and in 2009 it was named “World’s Leading Airport”.
To date, 16.5 million travellers have arrived and departed to and from their holidays to Dubai this year; an 8.5 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2010.
CEO of Dubai Airports, Paul Griffiths, said: “We have surpassed the four million passenger mark three out of the first four months of the year and that trend is set to continue.”
This year’s figures recorded a 20.1 per cent in passengers from Western Europe taking Dubai holidays, and Dubai International Airport handled 179,397 tonnes of international air freight during April; up 5.6 per cent from the 169,902 tonnes recorded during the same month last year.
Griffiths added: “Our busiest summer ever is just around the corner and we will be working hard to maintain high service levels and ensure the comfort of our customers. That includes the activation of our Summer Mission programme which deploys additional customer service personnel to help passengers pass quickly and smoothly through our airport.”
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and an international business hub. The city is home to a wide collection of upscale Dubai hotels and is a popular destination for luxury holidays.
During holidays to Dubai, tourists can enjoy shopping in over 70 shopping malls and numerous traditional souks; discover the city’s unique architecture including the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, which stands at 828 metres tall and is shaped like a ship’s sail; visit the beautiful beaches; or head out of the city for a desert safari or dune bashing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
The palatial design is just the start of this luxury resort, a perfect place to escape from the dark, cold winters.
- Unlimited access to Wild Wadi Park plus free shuttle service to a selection of Dubai Shopping Malls
- FREE half board upgrade
- Fully rejuvenate with an authentic Ottoman Spa that extends over 8,000 sq. metres and features 42 individual spa rooms and suites, as well as indoor swimming pool and Turkish Hammans
Treat your family to an unforgettable Arabian adventure and make a splash at the world's most extravagant aquatic hotel!
- Free Half Board with a huge range of dining options
- Free access to Aquaventure and Lost Chambers
- Experience the culinary gourmet adventure with over 22 world-class restaurants, lounges and bars including the Michelin star restaurant Nobu
With over 20 restaurants and bars, you will be amazed by the variety of fine fare on offer to enhance your holiday.
- Complimentary services include a 1-2 hour scuba diving session
- Free Half Board on selected dates
- Venture next door with complimentary access to the Wild Wadi Water Park to cool yourself from the summer sun
The perfect location
- Enjoy All Inclusive in beautiful Mauritius and just unwind at the beach
- Combine the best of two worlds in one journey - relax in Mauritian paradise and experience stunning Dubai
- Experience world-class dining in both incredible countries
One of the most sought-after locations in the magical city of Dubai is the artificial island of Jumeirah. Enjoy the...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
The stunning Intercontinental Resort Mauritius awaits, overlooking the Bay of Balaclava located on a pristine white...
The luxurious-new InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort overlooks the beaches of the Bay of Balaclava. This...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of...
The 4* Ramada Deira hotel boasts comfortable, modern and grand interiors and facilities, as well as easy access to the...
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...