Award-Winning Dubai International Airport Sees Growth in Passenger Traffic
After winning the prestigious title of "Middle East's Leading Airport 2011" at the World Travel Awards, Dubai International Airport has also recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays in April 2011.
Just Recently Dubai International Airport recorded a 13.2 per cent increase in travellers taking Dubai holidays and business trips in April 2011 with passenger numbers reaching 4.23 million. During the same month last year, the airport served 3.74 million passengers and officials say that this drop in traffic was due to the volcanic eruption in Iceland last year.
The airport was named the “Middle East’s Leading Airport 2011” at the World Travel Awards for the second consecutive year and in 2009 it was named “World’s Leading Airport”.
To date, 16.5 million travellers have arrived and departed to and from their holidays to Dubai this year; an 8.5 per cent increase compared to the same period in 2010.
CEO of Dubai Airports, Paul Griffiths, said: “We have surpassed the four million passenger mark three out of the first four months of the year and that trend is set to continue.”
This year’s figures recorded a 20.1 per cent in passengers from Western Europe taking Dubai holidays, and Dubai International Airport handled 179,397 tonnes of international air freight during April; up 5.6 per cent from the 169,902 tonnes recorded during the same month last year.
Griffiths added: “Our busiest summer ever is just around the corner and we will be working hard to maintain high service levels and ensure the comfort of our customers. That includes the activation of our Summer Mission programme which deploys additional customer service personnel to help passengers pass quickly and smoothly through our airport.”
Dubai is one of the seven United Arab Emirates and an international business hub. The city is home to a wide collection of upscale Dubai hotels and is a popular destination for luxury holidays.
During holidays to Dubai, tourists can enjoy shopping in over 70 shopping malls and numerous traditional souks; discover the city’s unique architecture including the world’s tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, which stands at 828 metres tall and is shaped like a ship’s sail; visit the beautiful beaches; or head out of the city for a desert safari or dune bashing.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Dubai Browse all
Discover the impressive opulence of Dubai's skyline matched only by the views across the Arabian Gulf
Impeccable service combined with comfort and luxury with stunning views of Downtown Dubai
- A landmark hotel located in Deira, Dubai's historic district with stunning views over the city!
- Incredible bars, clubs and restaurants, including hip and trendy Sho Cho that's been taking Dubai's fashion set by storm.
- There are plenty of sightseeing and historical places to visit within walking distance
Chill at The Palm's newest luxury retreat, be wowed by the touches of opulence on every corner and be seduced by our amazing prize tag!
- Rooms boast a balcony with stunning view of the Arabian Gulf, includes free Wi-Fi
- Complimentary Access to So Fit "Gym, Sauna & Steam" with 25% disconut at SO SPA in addition to free Wi-Fi
- Choose from 7 dining venues including gourmet options and enjoy access to 5 opulent bars
Be sinfully self-indulgent and stay at an outrageously luxurious resort on Dubai's exclusive The Palm. You'll be basking in luxury from dawn to dusk.
- stay on the famous Palm in Dubai and enjoy stunning views over the skyline
- choose to upgrade to an amazing Ultra-All-Inclusive experience in the hotel
- Recieve complimentary boat transfers to iconic Dubai Marina or a free shuttle bus to Mall of the Emirates
Discover the beauty of Mauritius and the buzz of Dubai
- Stay at the Hyatt Regency Dubai , the only hotel with a restaurant with 360 degree view
- Intercontinental Mauritius located on one of the most marvellous parts of the island
- Fantastic selection of facilities and amenities await at the Intercontinental Mauritius, including free Wi-Fi, children's club and fun activities for all ages.
Located in the historic district of Deira, the heritage hotel Hyatt Regency is within walking distance to the famous...
With a gorgeous location on the west crescent of the Palm Jumeirah, this exclusive and ultra-deluxe resort delivers...
Enjoy the stretches of sand and unlimited sunshine available here as you savour the comforts of Atlantis, The Palm. One...
The Gloria Hotel & Apartments is a stunning suite and apartment hotel that is ideally located in the heart of Dubai. It...
Rove City Centre is one of Dubai's newest hotels, offering a year-round outdoor pool and fitness centre. Conveniently...