Welsh singer covers Cuba Holidays in TV Documentary
Six celebrities from Wales, including singer Cerys Matthews, have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a new documentary series Yr Ynys (The Island), which will also explore the islands of Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Six Welsh celebrities have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a brand new documentary which travels to the islands of Cuba, Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Welsh singer, Cerys Matthews, is taking part in the series, Yr Ynys (The Island), along with former rugby international Gareth Davies, broadcaster Beti George, journalist Dylan Iorwerth, writer Catrin Dafydd and Wedi 7 reporter Gerallt Pennant.
Each episode looks at the island's history, culture and character and finds out how global influences are affecting the way or life, economy and climate. The celebrities started off their journey with Cuba holidays and during her visit to the Caribbean island, Cerys said:
"Cuba is a country that has always enchanted me. It's the country of Castro, Communism, cocktails, cigars and cadillacs. Its past is so interesting and history's footprint can be seen everywhere. But time doesn't stand still – not even in Cuba."
Cerys visits the Cuba's capital city of Havana, the popular tourist coastal resorts with its beachfront Cuba hotels, and the port city of Santiago de Cuba during the documentary. During her travels to the communist country, the Welsh singer meets a family who run a restaurant for tourists taking holidays in Cuba, in their living room of their own house.
Cerys also explores how ballet has become a national passion for Cubans after it was imported from the former Soviet Union, and she meets a local dancer and trainer from Cuba's renowned ballet academy Escuela Nacional Cubana de Ballet. Cuba is famous for its music and dance and the episode highlights this when Cerys meets and performs with local and national musicians.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to the simply stunning warm waters of Varadero beach
- Enjoy an all-inclusive deal offering Italian and Cuban cuisines, 7 bars and a disco.
- Unwind with a massage or in the Jacuzzi and relish the relaxed, adults-only ambience.
- Enjoy a wide range of activities, including watersports, tennis, dance lessons and entertainment.
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...