Welsh singer covers Cuba Holidays in TV Documentary
Six celebrities from Wales, including singer Cerys Matthews, have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a new documentary series Yr Ynys (The Island), which will also explore the islands of Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Six Welsh celebrities have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a brand new documentary which travels to the islands of Cuba, Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Welsh singer, Cerys Matthews, is taking part in the series, Yr Ynys (The Island), along with former rugby international Gareth Davies, broadcaster Beti George, journalist Dylan Iorwerth, writer Catrin Dafydd and Wedi 7 reporter Gerallt Pennant.
Each episode looks at the island's history, culture and character and finds out how global influences are affecting the way or life, economy and climate. The celebrities started off their journey with Cuba holidays and during her visit to the Caribbean island, Cerys said:
"Cuba is a country that has always enchanted me. It's the country of Castro, Communism, cocktails, cigars and cadillacs. Its past is so interesting and history's footprint can be seen everywhere. But time doesn't stand still – not even in Cuba."
Cerys visits the Cuba's capital city of Havana, the popular tourist coastal resorts with its beachfront Cuba hotels, and the port city of Santiago de Cuba during the documentary. During her travels to the communist country, the Welsh singer meets a family who run a restaurant for tourists taking holidays in Cuba, in their living room of their own house.
Cerys also explores how ballet has become a national passion for Cubans after it was imported from the former Soviet Union, and she meets a local dancer and trainer from Cuba's renowned ballet academy Escuela Nacional Cubana de Ballet. Cuba is famous for its music and dance and the episode highlights this when Cerys meets and performs with local and national musicians.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...