Welsh singer covers Cuba Holidays in TV Documentary
Six celebrities from Wales, including singer Cerys Matthews, have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a new documentary series Yr Ynys (The Island), which will also explore the islands of Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Six Welsh celebrities have been taking Cuba holidays as part of a brand new documentary which travels to the islands of Cuba, Fiji, Cyprus, Zanzibar, Iceland and the Galapagos.
Welsh singer, Cerys Matthews, is taking part in the series, Yr Ynys (The Island), along with former rugby international Gareth Davies, broadcaster Beti George, journalist Dylan Iorwerth, writer Catrin Dafydd and Wedi 7 reporter Gerallt Pennant.
Each episode looks at the island's history, culture and character and finds out how global influences are affecting the way or life, economy and climate. The celebrities started off their journey with Cuba holidays and during her visit to the Caribbean island, Cerys said:
"Cuba is a country that has always enchanted me. It's the country of Castro, Communism, cocktails, cigars and cadillacs. Its past is so interesting and history's footprint can be seen everywhere. But time doesn't stand still – not even in Cuba."
Cerys visits the Cuba's capital city of Havana, the popular tourist coastal resorts with its beachfront Cuba hotels, and the port city of Santiago de Cuba during the documentary. During her travels to the communist country, the Welsh singer meets a family who run a restaurant for tourists taking holidays in Cuba, in their living room of their own house.
Cerys also explores how ballet has become a national passion for Cubans after it was imported from the former Soviet Union, and she meets a local dancer and trainer from Cuba's renowned ballet academy Escuela Nacional Cubana de Ballet. Cuba is famous for its music and dance and the episode highlights this when Cerys meets and performs with local and national musicians.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...