Mexico tourism board launches campaign to counter negative travel alerts
Travellers planning holidays in Cancun and Mexico are being urged to ignore travel alerts which portray the region as a dangerous country as Mexico launches an ad campaign to restore its image within the tourist industry in the United States.
This week Mexico launched a vital ad campaign which officials hope will help restore the country's image and reputation within the tourist industry after recent travel alerts in the United States warned travellers to stay away from the country.
Rodolfo Lopez-Negrete, Mexico Tourism Board CEO, said: "Those travel alerts that were headlining 'If you want to stay alive, don't travel to Mexico,' we felt they were not only totally inaccurate but irresponsible."
Mexico is putting millions of dollars into its ad campaign to spend on billboards and print media ads in the United States, showing images of its beautiful pristine beaches and ancient pyramids to entice travellers to book Mexico and Cancun holidays.
Despite many American tourists being scared away from booking holidays in Mexico because of the drug wars in some parts of the country, Lopez-Negrete said that their visitor figures were similar to those of 2008. He explained that revenues were down but this was due to many Mexico and Cancun hotels offering significant discounts to encourage wavering tourists.
"We were able to drive volume upwards at a cost of lower pricing but we are happy with that because as in any other business, volume comes back first, then you start escalating to the proper pricing," he said. "That's the strategy."
The country's drug violence is happening far away from the tourist areas such as Cancun, Huatulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos and Lopez-Negrete is urging U.S authorities to be more specific and accurate in their alerts. Over the Easter period, a U.S. State Department advisory urged U.S travellers to avoid all but essential travel to ten states in Mexico including its capital city, due to "ongoing violence and persistent security concerns."
Tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and the Riviera Maya can relax within the luxury Caribbean holiday resorts including global hotel chains such as InterContinental Hotel Group, Sol Melia, Hilton Hotels, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and AMResorts.
"The appetite continues to be there, because investors know tourism has always been very profitable in Mexico and the quality and value is second to none," Lopez-Negrete added. "There is confidence in initiatives President Calderon has taken."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Boutique-style guestrooms with ocean views and luxury amenities
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Don't miss out on this incredible offer Kids 17 and under stay, play and eat free
- The Illusionists are appearing at the resort from 22nd December - 3rd Jan & The amazing Backstreet Boys are appearing on the 29th December*
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine unique restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a pristine white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults-only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Explore the historical riches of the Riviera Maya and marvel at the abundant natural beauty of its Caribbean coastline...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...