Mexico tourism board launches campaign to counter negative travel alerts
Travellers planning holidays in Cancun and Mexico are being urged to ignore travel alerts which portray the region as a dangerous country as Mexico launches an ad campaign to restore its image within the tourist industry in the United States.
This week Mexico launched a vital ad campaign which officials hope will help restore the country's image and reputation within the tourist industry after recent travel alerts in the United States warned travellers to stay away from the country.
Rodolfo Lopez-Negrete, Mexico Tourism Board CEO, said: "Those travel alerts that were headlining 'If you want to stay alive, don't travel to Mexico,' we felt they were not only totally inaccurate but irresponsible."
Mexico is putting millions of dollars into its ad campaign to spend on billboards and print media ads in the United States, showing images of its beautiful pristine beaches and ancient pyramids to entice travellers to book Mexico and Cancun holidays.
Despite many American tourists being scared away from booking holidays in Mexico because of the drug wars in some parts of the country, Lopez-Negrete said that their visitor figures were similar to those of 2008. He explained that revenues were down but this was due to many Mexico and Cancun hotels offering significant discounts to encourage wavering tourists.
"We were able to drive volume upwards at a cost of lower pricing but we are happy with that because as in any other business, volume comes back first, then you start escalating to the proper pricing," he said. "That's the strategy."
The country's drug violence is happening far away from the tourist areas such as Cancun, Huatulco, Ixtapa, Puerto Vallarta and Los Cabos and Lopez-Negrete is urging U.S authorities to be more specific and accurate in their alerts. Over the Easter period, a U.S. State Department advisory urged U.S travellers to avoid all but essential travel to ten states in Mexico including its capital city, due to "ongoing violence and persistent security concerns."
Tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Puerto Vallarta, and the Riviera Maya can relax within the luxury Caribbean holiday resorts including global hotel chains such as InterContinental Hotel Group, Sol Melia, Hilton Hotels, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, and AMResorts.
"The appetite continues to be there, because investors know tourism has always been very profitable in Mexico and the quality and value is second to none," Lopez-Negrete added. "There is confidence in initiatives President Calderon has taken."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Cancun is one of the most sought-after beachside resorts in the world. Make this your next holiday destination and revel...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Immerse yourself in eight divine days of delight at the Occidental Cozumel in Playa San Francisco. Sit back and relax in...