Tourist Numbers to St Lucia holidays Increase After Successful "St Lucia Month"
More than 500 staff from travel agents and tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board after the success of St Lucia Month indicated that St Lucia holidays are on the increase once again.
This year’s St Lucia Month has been hailed a success after recent visitor numbers to the island are indicating that the island’s tourism sector is on the road to recovery.
During St Lucia Month, over 500 staff members from 200 travel agents and 300 frontline tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board to boost their knowledge on this lovely Caribbean holiday destination so they could efficiently promote St Lucia holidays to their customers.
According to recent statistics, the number of UK tourists who went on holidays to St Lucia during February 2011 had increased by 14 per cent. The figures also showed that until October 2010, when Hurricane Tomas hit the Caribbean island causing devastation, visitor arrivals were up by 10 per cent. The island has set a target of a15 per cent increase in tourists taking St Lucia holidays by the end of 2011.
This year’s St Lucia Month involved quizzes and contests for agents across the UK, and 12 winning teams of three will travel to St Lucia in July 2011 for a treasure hunt challenge which is sponsored by British Airways. The winning team will win £5,000 in marketing funds for their agency.
Marketing Director of the St Lucia Tourist Board, Jean-Marc Flambert, said: "We realised that we needed to give extra incentives to the trade and it's been really successful. At many of the quiz events we had to introduce tie-breakers; agents were very knowledgeable and put a lot of effort into this. Overall the month has been very successful.
"There is no point coming to the UK and saying we want people to experience St Lucia - we need to take agents out there."
The number of UK tourists taking holidays in St Lucia has been increasing due to the extra flights available from British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, giving travellers more flexibility and the chance to extend their stay at luxury St Lucia hotels.
Lewis said: "It allows visitors to customise their packages. There are a lot more options and you can conceivably now stay for ten days."
He added that though the rise in Air Passenger Duty (APD) was not impacting the number of UK visitors, it was affecting the spending habits of travellers in St Lucia. "They are spending less when they get to St Lucia, which affects rural communities in terms of sights and attractions. I'd like APD to disappear but realistically I am hopeful it won't go up."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Experience a fabulous family comfort at Bay Gardens Inn
- Enjoy a taste of the Caribbean at Creole Pot restaurant, with island favourites prepared each morning
- Free daily breakfast and a private terrace and balcony in every room
- Delight in a wide variety of massages and therapies at the beutiful La Mer Spa
Experience an unforgettable holiday in St Lucia, marvel at the wonderful sandy beach and enjoy street life in the restaurants, cafe's and bars of Rodney Bay.
- The Kids Club offers a range of activities to keep your little ones happy
- Enjoy the sunfish sailing and snorkelling
- Full buffet breakfast, lunch, afternoon tea and dinner included
Be seduced by golden sunsets, fine dining and the crystal-clear water of the Caribbean Sea at the recently renovated St James Club, Morgan's Bay.
- Upgrade and Save! Book and Save when Upgrading to an Oceanview room!
- Non-motorised water sports including: windsurfing, hobbie cat sailing, snorkelling and kayaks
- 4 restaurants and 4 bars to suit every taste
- Children stay and eat FREE when sharing with 2 adults
Discover Castries' lively atmosphere, then head to your intimate luxury hideaway in the stunningly secluded Choc Bay.
- Winter Sale: Save £900 in a upgraded Honeymoon Hideaway Luxury Poolside Room
- Discover a perfect place for relaxation and rejuvenation at Red Lane Spa
- Dine beneath the stars at the Bayside Restaurant and enjoy complimentary golfing at the nearby Sandals La Toc
- Get unlimited scuba diving fully included as part of your experience!
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Sandals Halcyon Beach, located on the immaculate, sun-kissed sands of Choc Bay, is the ideal getaway for those looking...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Spoil yourself with eight days of limitless sun and sand on the Caribbean island of St Lucia. One of its brightest...