Tourist Numbers to St Lucia holidays Increase After Successful "St Lucia Month"
More than 500 staff from travel agents and tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board after the success of St Lucia Month indicated that St Lucia holidays are on the increase once again.
This year’s St Lucia Month has been hailed a success after recent visitor numbers to the island are indicating that the island’s tourism sector is on the road to recovery.
During St Lucia Month, over 500 staff members from 200 travel agents and 300 frontline tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board to boost their knowledge on this lovely Caribbean holiday destination so they could efficiently promote St Lucia holidays to their customers.
According to recent statistics, the number of UK tourists who went on holidays to St Lucia during February 2011 had increased by 14 per cent. The figures also showed that until October 2010, when Hurricane Tomas hit the Caribbean island causing devastation, visitor arrivals were up by 10 per cent. The island has set a target of a15 per cent increase in tourists taking St Lucia holidays by the end of 2011.
This year’s St Lucia Month involved quizzes and contests for agents across the UK, and 12 winning teams of three will travel to St Lucia in July 2011 for a treasure hunt challenge which is sponsored by British Airways. The winning team will win £5,000 in marketing funds for their agency.
Marketing Director of the St Lucia Tourist Board, Jean-Marc Flambert, said: "We realised that we needed to give extra incentives to the trade and it's been really successful. At many of the quiz events we had to introduce tie-breakers; agents were very knowledgeable and put a lot of effort into this. Overall the month has been very successful.
"There is no point coming to the UK and saying we want people to experience St Lucia - we need to take agents out there."
The number of UK tourists taking holidays in St Lucia has been increasing due to the extra flights available from British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, giving travellers more flexibility and the chance to extend their stay at luxury St Lucia hotels.
Lewis said: "It allows visitors to customise their packages. There are a lot more options and you can conceivably now stay for ten days."
He added that though the rise in Air Passenger Duty (APD) was not impacting the number of UK visitors, it was affecting the spending habits of travellers in St Lucia. "They are spending less when they get to St Lucia, which affects rural communities in terms of sights and attractions. I'd like APD to disappear but realistically I am hopeful it won't go up."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Treat yourself to the ultimate Caribbean getaway staying on the stunning beachfront of Reduit Beach, right at the centre of everything and close to the lively strip of Rodney Bay.
- Take advantage of the on-site facilities including a spa, fitness centre and beauty salon
- Located on Reduit Beach, known for its island setting and breathtaking views
- Complimentary Hi-Speed internet access in rooms and free Wi-Fi in all public areas including the beach
Go for a Premium all-inclusive experience where children and grown-ups each have their own world of endless fun, adventure and indulgement.
- Save up to a fantastic 58%!! and the 1st Child STAYS FREE
- Please note hotel is closed for renovations on 1st-30th September 17
- Experience St Lucia's only water park attraction with beach, several swimming pools, waterfalls, lazy river and water slides
- Enjoy complimentary round trip transfers from Hewanorra International Airport
- Enjoy FREE $500 resort credit when staying a minimum of 7 nights to be used on tours, spa treatments, photography services and the in resort boutique
Enjoy your stay in St Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both Pitons mountains as they rise in splendour from the azure Caribbean Sea
- St. Lucia's only resort with the iconic view of both the Piti & Gros Piton mountains floating upon the Caribbean Sea
- A private estate of 600 lush tropical acres bordering two soft-sand Caribbean beaches with unspoiled coral reefs just offshore
- Perfect resort for travelling divers - PADI Dive Center available
Life in Rodney Bay offers stunning sunsets, an exquisite beach and bars, clubs and restaurants - Blu St Lucia is perfectly placed to enjoy all
- Only a few minutes away from the famous Rodney bay village where you can enjoy the night life of St Lucia
- Guests can choose from rooms with a private verandah or direct access to the pool. Suites have private sun decks and junior suites can connect with adjacent suites to offer family accommodation.
- Families can enjoy wonderful on-site facilities including a swimming pool, fitness centre, tennis and a Harlequin Kiddies' club. All day dining and drinks are served in the restaurant and there's an ice cream shop and a boutique.
This holiday take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with an eight-day excursion to the west coast of...
Find peace and quiet as you enjoy the astounding natural beauty which surrounds the Marigot Bay hotel during an 8-day...
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Let yourself be taken on an unforgettable journey of jazz at the 25th anniversary of the St Lucia Jazz & Arts festival....
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
Burrowed upon Rodney Bay, The All-inclusive Rex Papillion Hotel offers direct access to the pristine white sands of...