Tourist Numbers to St Lucia holidays Increase After Successful "St Lucia Month"
More than 500 staff from travel agents and tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board after the success of St Lucia Month indicated that St Lucia holidays are on the increase once again.
This year’s St Lucia Month has been hailed a success after recent visitor numbers to the island are indicating that the island’s tourism sector is on the road to recovery.
During St Lucia Month, over 500 staff members from 200 travel agents and 300 frontline tour operators received face-to-face training from the St Lucia Tourist Board to boost their knowledge on this lovely Caribbean holiday destination so they could efficiently promote St Lucia holidays to their customers.
According to recent statistics, the number of UK tourists who went on holidays to St Lucia during February 2011 had increased by 14 per cent. The figures also showed that until October 2010, when Hurricane Tomas hit the Caribbean island causing devastation, visitor arrivals were up by 10 per cent. The island has set a target of a15 per cent increase in tourists taking St Lucia holidays by the end of 2011.
This year’s St Lucia Month involved quizzes and contests for agents across the UK, and 12 winning teams of three will travel to St Lucia in July 2011 for a treasure hunt challenge which is sponsored by British Airways. The winning team will win £5,000 in marketing funds for their agency.
Marketing Director of the St Lucia Tourist Board, Jean-Marc Flambert, said: "We realised that we needed to give extra incentives to the trade and it's been really successful. At many of the quiz events we had to introduce tie-breakers; agents were very knowledgeable and put a lot of effort into this. Overall the month has been very successful.
"There is no point coming to the UK and saying we want people to experience St Lucia - we need to take agents out there."
The number of UK tourists taking holidays in St Lucia has been increasing due to the extra flights available from British Airways and Virgin Atlantic, giving travellers more flexibility and the chance to extend their stay at luxury St Lucia hotels.
Lewis said: "It allows visitors to customise their packages. There are a lot more options and you can conceivably now stay for ten days."
He added that though the rise in Air Passenger Duty (APD) was not impacting the number of UK visitors, it was affecting the spending habits of travellers in St Lucia. "They are spending less when they get to St Lucia, which affects rural communities in terms of sights and attractions. I'd like APD to disappear but realistically I am hopeful it won't go up."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In St Lucia Browse all
Bask upon the glorious white sands of Reduit Beach at Papillon by Rex Resorts
- Range of fabulous dining options available, from buffets to sit-downs, Italian to Caribbean cuisines - something for every guests' taste-buds
- Summer Sale with incredible savings of upto 45% in all room types until 3rd January 2019
- Kids friendly resort, with babysitting services and a Rexplorers kids club (4-12yrs) providing engaging and fun entertainment
Adults-only, All Inclusive Retreat with an inviting and warm atmosphere is what Bel Jou Hotel stands for
- All Inclusive, Adults Only property set within lush tropical gardens with classic St. Lucian charm
- Experience Caribbean Flavour on the rooftop lounge bar and terrace with serene views over Castries and the Caribbean Sea
- Take advantage of free extras including a complimentary tour and complimentary wine in your room on arrival
Leave life's stresses behind and unwind in St Lucia and take advantage of a hotel designed for romance
It doesn't get any better than this perfect escape, designed for couples looking for an intimate and romantic experience
- Summer Sale now extended with discounted savings for stays until 2019
- Unique couples only resort designed for honeymoons and weddings
- All beverages included, such as premium brand alcohol and wine by the bottle at dinner
Guests will be delighted by Sandals Regency La Toc Golf Resort and Spa , set on an expansive stretch of the golden sandy beach
- The resort offers a refined yet fun atmosphere and a superb range of Global Gourmet® options and leisure facilities
- The Red Lane Spa® offers exclusive services ideal for relaxation and rejuvenation
- Enjoy Free Green Fees & Trandfers at Sandals St Lucia Golf & Country Club
- Save up to 45% plus Summer Savings with amazing discounts on select rooms
- Enjoy a round of golf at the 9 hole golf course, laze by the pool, try the range of water sports or dance the night away at the nightclub
Take time to refresh your body and revitalise your soul with a luxury escape to the west coast of the magical St Lucia....
Take a trip to the southern reaches of Santa Lucia and discover the delights of one of the most sought after resorts...
Experience the romantic getaway you and your loved one have always fantasised about with eight days on the picturesque...
Experience the ultimate Caribbean holiday with eight unforgettable days in St. Lucia. This is where Mother Nature brings...
The all-new Harbor Club offers guests a Caribbean resort experience unlike any other where you can unwind and experience...
Set upon the white sands of Reduit beach, the All-inclusive Papillon by Rex Resorts Hotel offers jaw dropping views of...