Salsa Dancing Draws European and American Tourists to Cuba holidays
Cuban nightclubs are seeing an increase in foreign travellers coming to bust their moves on the dance floor during Cuba holidays as salsa dancing becomes the latest trend for Asian and European tourists from Germany, Switzerland and Japan.
Travellers from Europe and Asia are hitting the dance floors of Cuban nightclubs during Cuba holidays in an attempt to show off their salsa dancing moves.
Salsa is native to Cuba but the dance style has become increasingly popular throughout countries across the world and European and Asian travellers are enjoying it so much they are heading to holidays in Cuba to show off their new moves at local nightclubs.
Known for their hip-swivelling moves, Cubans pride themselves on their salsa dancing but more foreigners are taking an interest in the energetic dance style and sometimes it can be hard to tell the difference between the locals and the tourists.
At Las Canitas nightclub in Havana on a recent Saturday night, a young woman shouts over the blaring music: "See, look at him. He needs to move his hips more."
She was referring to an individual with a group of tourists from Switzerland but some of the tourists’ dance moves surprised her.
"Wow, he's got tremendous feeling," she said pointing out another dancer as he spun his dance partner around in circles. "He could definitely be Cuban."
The recent increase in interest for salsa dancing has enabled Cuban dance instructor, Marisuri Garcia, to open a dance school in Switzerland, where she lives part of the year.
During the rest of the year Marisuri lives in central Havana and after obtaining a licence from the government, she now offers private lessons charging approximately $5 per hour.
"Dancing helps you live better," Marisuri said. "It helps you to look inside and open up, to be free in mind and body."
Many tour operators are offering salsa dancing lessons as part of Cuba holidays packages, with tuition at state-run dance studios like SprachCaffe. The packages include accommodation at Cuba hotels, dance classes with individual instructors and some meals. Prices for these packages start from $1,300.
Because of the US –Cuba travel restrictions, there are very few Americans who can enjoy holidays in Cuba but as the restrictions are gradually eased, there is hope for the future as more American tourists plan cultural Cuba holidays.
Garcia hopes that dancing the salsa will help people to overcome political differences on the dance floor.
"We've got Swiss and Germans dancing salsa like Cubans, she added. “It's time to see more Americans!"
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands for an amazing price!
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31th Aug 2017
- The Location on one of Varadero's best virgin beaches
- Enjoy varied entertainment, including water sports, beach volleyball, tennis, evening performances and more
- The all-inclusive plan features 1 buffet restaurant, 2 A la carte, 3 snack bars and 3 bars
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
- Enjoy a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...