Tourists celebrate "Old Havana, a City in Motion" festival during Cuba Holidays
Last month, Old Havana was visited by an influx of tourists who were keen to take part in the five-day festivities of the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion", which many enjoyed during their Cuba holidays.
Old Havana hosted five days of contemporary music and dance last month as tourists from all over the world visited the historic town during Cuba holidays to take part in the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion”.
The event took place between 13th and 17th April and saw 22 foreign groups, 35 Cuban groups, and choreographers from 15 countries taking part in the festivities.
Attendees of the event participated in master classes, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and performances across a range of venues including various streets, house-museums and squares in the Old Havana area, while every night the events were wrapped up at El Jardín “Las Carolinas” (Las Carolinas Garden), in the headquarters of the Danza-Teatro Retazos (Retazos Dance Theatre).
Tourists taking holidays in Cuba were treated to performances from dancers from Mexico, France, Spain, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, United States, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Italy.
Cuba showcased dancing art from famous national groups including El Folklorico de Camagüey, which celebrates 20 years of creation this year; Danza Espiral from Matanzas; Danza del Alma from Villa Clara; Endedans from Camagüey; and Danza Libre and Danza Fragmentada, both from Guantanamo.
Venues and areas which saw the diverse dance movement included the Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), the Saint Francis of Assisi Square, the Old Square; various city parks including Rumiñahui, Simon Bolivar and Las Carolinas; the Oswaldo Guayasamin, Benito Juarez, and Simon Bolivar museum-houses; and Casa de Africa (the House of Africa), Casa de la Poesia (the House of Poetry), Factoria Habana (Havana Factory) and Genesis Galerias de Arte (Art Galleries Genesis).
During their holidays in Cuba, travellers lined the streets of Mercaderes, Oficios, Amargura and Obrapía to witness performances, passacaglias and other presentations.
"Old Havana: City in Motion” represents the architectural heritage of this old colonial part of the city and its historic and cultural memory. Highlights of the event included the premiere of the piece “Destinos”, by Isabel Bustos, the director of both Danza-Teatro Retazos and the Festival; and the passacaglia when Dance in Urban Landscapes intermingled with participants of the Celtic Music and Traditions Festival.
This year’s event saw tourists from the United States taking their first-ever Cuba holidays after President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
Enjoy the exciting nightlife the Melia Marina Varadero Hotel has to offer, whilst relaxing during the day in the beautiful accommodation
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- Melia Marina Varadero Hotel is ideally located 300m from the beach in an ecological reserve with a dolphinarium and caves to explore
- Incredible all-inclusive benefits with dining at 9 restaurants at Melia Marina Varadero Hotel
- Excellent watersports facilities including yachting, fishing and diving
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Indulge in a couples special retreat that includes a Deluxe Havana City Break and Luxury Adults-Only All Inclusive Beach Escape in Varadero
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 08th Feb
- The perfect 5* multi centre - mixing exciting city life with a pampering beach retreat in romantic Cuba
- The luxury adults-only all-suite hotel Paradisus Princesa Del Mar Resort and Spa is situated on the pristine Varadero beach
- Melia Habana is the perfect base for exploring all that Havana has to offer
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
This carefully selected combination of hotels combines a stay in Havana with a stay upon the coast of Varadero. Start...