Tourists celebrate "Old Havana, a City in Motion" festival during Cuba Holidays
Last month, Old Havana was visited by an influx of tourists who were keen to take part in the five-day festivities of the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion", which many enjoyed during their Cuba holidays.
Old Havana hosted five days of contemporary music and dance last month as tourists from all over the world visited the historic town during Cuba holidays to take part in the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion”.
The event took place between 13th and 17th April and saw 22 foreign groups, 35 Cuban groups, and choreographers from 15 countries taking part in the festivities.
Attendees of the event participated in master classes, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and performances across a range of venues including various streets, house-museums and squares in the Old Havana area, while every night the events were wrapped up at El Jardín “Las Carolinas” (Las Carolinas Garden), in the headquarters of the Danza-Teatro Retazos (Retazos Dance Theatre).
Tourists taking holidays in Cuba were treated to performances from dancers from Mexico, France, Spain, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, United States, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Italy.
Cuba showcased dancing art from famous national groups including El Folklorico de Camagüey, which celebrates 20 years of creation this year; Danza Espiral from Matanzas; Danza del Alma from Villa Clara; Endedans from Camagüey; and Danza Libre and Danza Fragmentada, both from Guantanamo.
Venues and areas which saw the diverse dance movement included the Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), the Saint Francis of Assisi Square, the Old Square; various city parks including Rumiñahui, Simon Bolivar and Las Carolinas; the Oswaldo Guayasamin, Benito Juarez, and Simon Bolivar museum-houses; and Casa de Africa (the House of Africa), Casa de la Poesia (the House of Poetry), Factoria Habana (Havana Factory) and Genesis Galerias de Arte (Art Galleries Genesis).
During their holidays in Cuba, travellers lined the streets of Mercaderes, Oficios, Amargura and Obrapía to witness performances, passacaglias and other presentations.
"Old Havana: City in Motion” represents the architectural heritage of this old colonial part of the city and its historic and cultural memory. Highlights of the event included the premiere of the piece “Destinos”, by Isabel Bustos, the director of both Danza-Teatro Retazos and the Festival; and the passacaglia when Dance in Urban Landscapes intermingled with participants of the Celtic Music and Traditions Festival.
This year’s event saw tourists from the United States taking their first-ever Cuba holidays after President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Unwind, relax and take it easy in Varadero before a truly Cuban experience in Havana
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Miniclub for children from 2 to 12 years old at Blau Varadero
- Memories Miramar Havana is perfect for those wanting to visit the old Havana, yet stay in total luxury and comfort
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...