Tourists celebrate "Old Havana, a City in Motion" festival during Cuba Holidays
Last month, Old Havana was visited by an influx of tourists who were keen to take part in the five-day festivities of the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion", which many enjoyed during their Cuba holidays.
Old Havana hosted five days of contemporary music and dance last month as tourists from all over the world visited the historic town during Cuba holidays to take part in the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion”.
The event took place between 13th and 17th April and saw 22 foreign groups, 35 Cuban groups, and choreographers from 15 countries taking part in the festivities.
Attendees of the event participated in master classes, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and performances across a range of venues including various streets, house-museums and squares in the Old Havana area, while every night the events were wrapped up at El Jardín “Las Carolinas” (Las Carolinas Garden), in the headquarters of the Danza-Teatro Retazos (Retazos Dance Theatre).
Tourists taking holidays in Cuba were treated to performances from dancers from Mexico, France, Spain, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, United States, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Italy.
Cuba showcased dancing art from famous national groups including El Folklorico de Camagüey, which celebrates 20 years of creation this year; Danza Espiral from Matanzas; Danza del Alma from Villa Clara; Endedans from Camagüey; and Danza Libre and Danza Fragmentada, both from Guantanamo.
Venues and areas which saw the diverse dance movement included the Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), the Saint Francis of Assisi Square, the Old Square; various city parks including Rumiñahui, Simon Bolivar and Las Carolinas; the Oswaldo Guayasamin, Benito Juarez, and Simon Bolivar museum-houses; and Casa de Africa (the House of Africa), Casa de la Poesia (the House of Poetry), Factoria Habana (Havana Factory) and Genesis Galerias de Arte (Art Galleries Genesis).
During their holidays in Cuba, travellers lined the streets of Mercaderes, Oficios, Amargura and Obrapía to witness performances, passacaglias and other presentations.
"Old Havana: City in Motion” represents the architectural heritage of this old colonial part of the city and its historic and cultural memory. Highlights of the event included the premiere of the piece “Destinos”, by Isabel Bustos, the director of both Danza-Teatro Retazos and the Festival; and the passacaglia when Dance in Urban Landscapes intermingled with participants of the Celtic Music and Traditions Festival.
This year’s event saw tourists from the United States taking their first-ever Cuba holidays after President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
This fabulous holiday package starts you off with a 3-night stay at the elegant and modern memories miramar in Havana's...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...