Tourists celebrate "Old Havana, a City in Motion" festival during Cuba Holidays
Last month, Old Havana was visited by an influx of tourists who were keen to take part in the five-day festivities of the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion", which many enjoyed during their Cuba holidays.
Old Havana hosted five days of contemporary music and dance last month as tourists from all over the world visited the historic town during Cuba holidays to take part in the 16th International Dance Festival in Urban Landscapes: "Old Havana: City in Motion”.
The event took place between 13th and 17th April and saw 22 foreign groups, 35 Cuban groups, and choreographers from 15 countries taking part in the festivities.
Attendees of the event participated in master classes, workshops, lectures, exhibitions and performances across a range of venues including various streets, house-museums and squares in the Old Havana area, while every night the events were wrapped up at El Jardín “Las Carolinas” (Las Carolinas Garden), in the headquarters of the Danza-Teatro Retazos (Retazos Dance Theatre).
Tourists taking holidays in Cuba were treated to performances from dancers from Mexico, France, Spain, Chile, Colombia, Venezuela, Brazil, Ecuador, Norway, South Korea, Sweden, United States, El Salvador, Costa Rica and Italy.
Cuba showcased dancing art from famous national groups including El Folklorico de Camagüey, which celebrates 20 years of creation this year; Danza Espiral from Matanzas; Danza del Alma from Villa Clara; Endedans from Camagüey; and Danza Libre and Danza Fragmentada, both from Guantanamo.
Venues and areas which saw the diverse dance movement included the Plaza de Armas (Arms Square), the Saint Francis of Assisi Square, the Old Square; various city parks including Rumiñahui, Simon Bolivar and Las Carolinas; the Oswaldo Guayasamin, Benito Juarez, and Simon Bolivar museum-houses; and Casa de Africa (the House of Africa), Casa de la Poesia (the House of Poetry), Factoria Habana (Havana Factory) and Genesis Galerias de Arte (Art Galleries Genesis).
During their holidays in Cuba, travellers lined the streets of Mercaderes, Oficios, Amargura and Obrapía to witness performances, passacaglias and other presentations.
"Old Havana: City in Motion” represents the architectural heritage of this old colonial part of the city and its historic and cultural memory. Highlights of the event included the premiere of the piece “Destinos”, by Isabel Bustos, the director of both Danza-Teatro Retazos and the Festival; and the passacaglia when Dance in Urban Landscapes intermingled with participants of the Celtic Music and Traditions Festival.
This year’s event saw tourists from the United States taking their first-ever Cuba holidays after President Obama eased restrictions on Cuba travel for U.S travellers who are visiting the island for cultural, religious, academic and educational purposes.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Havana Browse all
Discover Cuba's vibrant capital and stunning Varadero beach, getting the best of both during summer 2017
Combine exploring Havana's bustling neighbourhoods, with a relaxing beach holiday, with this amazing twin centre summer holiday package deal
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Easy access to some of the most iconic neighbourhoods in Havana, including the old colonial area
- Relax, unwind and rejuvenate your mind body and soul at the beauty salon and spa
- Exceptionally friendly and welcoming staff that go the extra mile
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, room upgrade and more
- Enjoy a full range of Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero.
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Located in a hip and centric section of Varadero, in close proximity to the best nightlife in the area, the Villa...