Mexican Government implements plan to attract more tourists to Campeche
Mexican government officials are implementing a new plan to attract more tourists to Mexico holidays in Campeche, after Mexico's President announced that he is aiming to turn the country into one of the world's top five tourist destinations by 2018.
The President of Mexico, Felipe Calderón, recently announced that he is aiming to make Mexico one of the world’s five top tourist destinations. Since the announcement, government officials have started to implement a plan which will attract more travellers to holidays in Mexico in the Campeche region in the southeast.
President Calderón recently signed a National Tourism Agreement which outlines a 10-point strategy for making his country’s target a reality and encourage more global travellers to book Mexico holidays.
The new comprehensive plan will involve upgrading infrastructure and improving commercial buildings to attract more investment to the area of Campeche, a UNESCO World Heritage city situated on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Workmen have been working hard since November 2010, improving and upgrading the sidewalks in the city centre to create a pedestrian-friendly area for residents and tourists taking Mexico holidays.
To encourage more foreign tourists to visit the Campeche region, public monuments have had multi-language signs installed; life-size bronze statues of fishermen and show-shining men have been installed in public places; and many museum exhibits have opened in de-commissioned churches and the area’s park on a semi-permanent basis.
Campeche has traditionally been the Yucatan Peninsula’s least visited state with millions of holidaymakers instead choosing the neighbouring states of Quintana Roo, a popular beach destination for Cancun holidays with a number of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts; and Yucatan, home to the popular ex-pat area of Merida.
Government officials are hoping that during holidays in Cancun, travellers will extend their visit to other areas in Mexico by heading to the neighbouring state of Campeche where they can visit beautiful landscapes including mangroves, pristine beaches, and historic Mayan archaeological sites.
The Campeche city centre features a range of 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century architecture, historic forts and ports, and several choices for accommodation, from backpackers to luxury hacienda-style hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget, why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Unwind and relax on a pristine beach knowing your kids are enjoying endless endless activities, designed especially for them at the Treasure Island Water Park
- Enjoy a film at the onsite private cinema
- Dine at a wide range of 10 restaurants & 11 bars
- Make a splash at Treasure Island Water Park
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia® complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury® concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
Krysal Ixtapa has a fantastic location on one of the best beaches in Ixtapa's hotel district. Enjoy a stay at this sunny...