Mexican Government implements plan to attract more tourists to Campeche
Mexican government officials are implementing a new plan to attract more tourists to Mexico holidays in Campeche, after Mexico's President announced that he is aiming to turn the country into one of the world's top five tourist destinations by 2018.
The President of Mexico, Felipe Calderón, recently announced that he is aiming to make Mexico one of the world’s five top tourist destinations. Since the announcement, government officials have started to implement a plan which will attract more travellers to holidays in Mexico in the Campeche region in the southeast.
President Calderón recently signed a National Tourism Agreement which outlines a 10-point strategy for making his country’s target a reality and encourage more global travellers to book Mexico holidays.
The new comprehensive plan will involve upgrading infrastructure and improving commercial buildings to attract more investment to the area of Campeche, a UNESCO World Heritage city situated on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Workmen have been working hard since November 2010, improving and upgrading the sidewalks in the city centre to create a pedestrian-friendly area for residents and tourists taking Mexico holidays.
To encourage more foreign tourists to visit the Campeche region, public monuments have had multi-language signs installed; life-size bronze statues of fishermen and show-shining men have been installed in public places; and many museum exhibits have opened in de-commissioned churches and the area’s park on a semi-permanent basis.
Campeche has traditionally been the Yucatan Peninsula’s least visited state with millions of holidaymakers instead choosing the neighbouring states of Quintana Roo, a popular beach destination for Cancun holidays with a number of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts; and Yucatan, home to the popular ex-pat area of Merida.
Government officials are hoping that during holidays in Cancun, travellers will extend their visit to other areas in Mexico by heading to the neighbouring state of Campeche where they can visit beautiful landscapes including mangroves, pristine beaches, and historic Mayan archaeological sites.
The Campeche city centre features a range of 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century architecture, historic forts and ports, and several choices for accommodation, from backpackers to luxury hacienda-style hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Stay in an adults only Uultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Unlimited-Luxury privileges include gourmet dining at 7 restaurants and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 8 bars
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
The Riviera Maya, admired for its history and its wondrous sugar-white sands, kaleidoscope of green palm trees,and deep...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....