Mexican Government implements plan to attract more tourists to Campeche
Mexican government officials are implementing a new plan to attract more tourists to Mexico holidays in Campeche, after Mexico's President announced that he is aiming to turn the country into one of the world's top five tourist destinations by 2018.
The President of Mexico, Felipe Calderón, recently announced that he is aiming to make Mexico one of the world’s five top tourist destinations. Since the announcement, government officials have started to implement a plan which will attract more travellers to holidays in Mexico in the Campeche region in the southeast.
President Calderón recently signed a National Tourism Agreement which outlines a 10-point strategy for making his country’s target a reality and encourage more global travellers to book Mexico holidays.
The new comprehensive plan will involve upgrading infrastructure and improving commercial buildings to attract more investment to the area of Campeche, a UNESCO World Heritage city situated on the Yucatan Peninsula.
Workmen have been working hard since November 2010, improving and upgrading the sidewalks in the city centre to create a pedestrian-friendly area for residents and tourists taking Mexico holidays.
To encourage more foreign tourists to visit the Campeche region, public monuments have had multi-language signs installed; life-size bronze statues of fishermen and show-shining men have been installed in public places; and many museum exhibits have opened in de-commissioned churches and the area’s park on a semi-permanent basis.
Campeche has traditionally been the Yucatan Peninsula’s least visited state with millions of holidaymakers instead choosing the neighbouring states of Quintana Roo, a popular beach destination for Cancun holidays with a number of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts; and Yucatan, home to the popular ex-pat area of Merida.
Government officials are hoping that during holidays in Cancun, travellers will extend their visit to other areas in Mexico by heading to the neighbouring state of Campeche where they can visit beautiful landscapes including mangroves, pristine beaches, and historic Mayan archaeological sites.
The Campeche city centre features a range of 16th, 17th, 18th and 19th century architecture, historic forts and ports, and several choices for accommodation, from backpackers to luxury hacienda-style hotels.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
The perfect family holiday awaits you at Crown Paradise Club located on the panoramic Cancun beach hotel zone known for...