Travellers forbidden from bringing alcohol to Maldives holidays
Travellers taking Maldives holidays will not be permitted to bring any alcohol into the Indian Ocean nation from 1st May 2011, and if any is found on passengers upon arrival it will be confiscated and not returned.
From 1st May, 2011, travellers will not be allowed to bring alcohol with them during their holidays to the Maldives.
According to changes in the Maldives Customs Law, passengers taking Maldives holidays will no longer be able to carry alcohol and produces of pig items into the country, and if any items are found on travellers, they will be confiscated near the Customs check in area to a "drop box" provided by the Maldives Customs Services.
Previously, tourists taking holidays in Maldives were allowed to store any items of alcohol at the Airport Customs bond and collect them back before their departure flight but the increase of Maldives flights has made it impossible to accommodate the storage facilities for the increasing number of passengers arriving and departing to and from Maldives holidays.
The new regulation will take effect from 1st May 2011 and will be communicated to passengers via a notice boards and advertisements at the airport.
Inhabited islands in the Maldives are prohibited from serving alcohol and uninhabited islands are allowed to serve beer, wine and spirits at tourist resorts and Maldives hotels. Until now the system has worked well but recent happenings at Hulhumale beach where tourists were spotted drinking alcohol and wearing bikinis has raised concern for tourism officials, especially since the recent rise in travellers going on Maldives holidays.
Mohamed Ibrahim ‘Sim’, Secretary General of the Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI), said: “The way it is currently structured is that alcohol is banned and there is a dress code for inhabited islands. Unless the regulations are changed – and I’m not saying they should be relaxed – tourist areas will need to be separated from local areas. In Male’ people cannot drink alcohol openly and nobody wears bikinis – it isn’t a problem.”
Under the new customs law, the following items are prohibited from the Maldives: religious materials offensive to Islam, idols (for worship), pornographic material, narcotics and psychotropic substances, and live pigs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
Kurumba Island is a dream resort with so much to dazzle guests that most return over and over again.
- Choose from an ample choice of excellent dining options, top recreational activities and fantastic entertainment
- Just a 10-minute boat drive to paradise nestled amidst tropical gardens and white sandy beaches
- For keen marine enthusiasts a house reef is only a few feet away from the island
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Surrounded by crystal clear waters and tropical vegetation, Olhuveli Beach and Spa Resort is home away from home.
- Sunset Fishing, Male Sightseeing, a visit to a local island and Snorkelling Safari are just some of the excursions available
- From a kids club and live evening entertainment to the Sun Spa, there is something to cater for the needs of all family members
- Enjoy spa credit, included excursions, sunset cruises and more with the Emerald Plan, whilst the All Inclusive package offers use of sports facilities for free
- free room upgrade to the next category
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Take your pick from seven exquisite restaurants and six lively bars
If you are looking for serenity and tranquillity coupled with luxurious elegance, then Adaaran Select Meedhupparu is the...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Transform your senses and discover a new world at the picturesque Olhuveli Beach & Spa Resort. The elegantly designed...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Located on Lankanfinolhu Island in the North Male Atoll, Paradise Island is one of the largest resorts in the Maldives....