Travellers forbidden from bringing alcohol to Maldives holidays
Travellers taking Maldives holidays will not be permitted to bring any alcohol into the Indian Ocean nation from 1st May 2011, and if any is found on passengers upon arrival it will be confiscated and not returned.
From 1st May, 2011, travellers will not be allowed to bring alcohol with them during their holidays to the Maldives.
According to changes in the Maldives Customs Law, passengers taking Maldives holidays will no longer be able to carry alcohol and produces of pig items into the country, and if any items are found on travellers, they will be confiscated near the Customs check in area to a "drop box" provided by the Maldives Customs Services.
Previously, tourists taking holidays in Maldives were allowed to store any items of alcohol at the Airport Customs bond and collect them back before their departure flight but the increase of Maldives flights has made it impossible to accommodate the storage facilities for the increasing number of passengers arriving and departing to and from Maldives holidays.
The new regulation will take effect from 1st May 2011 and will be communicated to passengers via a notice boards and advertisements at the airport.
Inhabited islands in the Maldives are prohibited from serving alcohol and uninhabited islands are allowed to serve beer, wine and spirits at tourist resorts and Maldives hotels. Until now the system has worked well but recent happenings at Hulhumale beach where tourists were spotted drinking alcohol and wearing bikinis has raised concern for tourism officials, especially since the recent rise in travellers going on Maldives holidays.
Mohamed Ibrahim ‘Sim’, Secretary General of the Maldives Association of Tourism Industry (MATI), said: “The way it is currently structured is that alcohol is banned and there is a dress code for inhabited islands. Unless the regulations are changed – and I’m not saying they should be relaxed – tourist areas will need to be separated from local areas. In Male’ people cannot drink alcohol openly and nobody wears bikinis – it isn’t a problem.”
Under the new customs law, the following items are prohibited from the Maldives: religious materials offensive to Islam, idols (for worship), pornographic material, narcotics and psychotropic substances, and live pigs.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Maldives Browse all
See what the Maldives really has to offer at Velassaru Maldives, with a great array of excursions.
- Fantastic selection of excursions from night snorkelling to fishing to a trip to Male to having an island all to yourself!
- As well as chilling on the beach or visiting the Spa, why not go an practice the ancient art of Yoga?
- Five wonderful dining venues and two exciting bars means you have a range of options depending on what mood you are in
Sun Island is al elegant and serene paradise in the Indian Ocean whilst Media Rotana is perfectly positioned for you to explore the wonders of Dubai.
- Both properties have restaurants that cover dishes from around the world
- Media Rotana is perfectly located in the centre of Dubai, within easy reach of shopping centres, the gold souk and Dubai's famous creek
- Sun Island lies in the South Ari Atoll, and is surrounded by wide beaches of fine sand and offshore waters that house underwater gardens full of marine life
Relax and unwind on Paradise Island before picking up the pace in glamorous Dubai enjoy the Duty free shopping
- Take a dip in the turquoise lagoon or the onsite pool, go snorkelling and windsurfing or opt for land sports recreation
- Your Dubai abode sits close to the Mall of the Emirates and a short ride to the famous Jumeirah Beach
- Paradise Island accommodation are Bungalows with direct access to the beach or Water Bungalows with private sun terrace
Follow secret pathways through tropical gardens, savour exquisite cuisine, scuba dive to spot whale sharks or simply chill on the sands...
- Take your pick from 7 exquisite restaurants and 6 lively bars
- Enjoy access to some of Maldives' most beautiful dive sites and explore the depths of the Indian Ocean
- Special touches include: cinema screenings on the beach, secret bars and a message in a bottle with a hidden surprise
The Nalaguraidhoo Island of the Maldives is one of the most sublime coastal landscapes you'll ever lay eyes, what with...
Let everything go as you observe breath-taking landscapes during a relaxing stay at the amazing Velassaru Maldives...
Venture to the Lhaviyani Atoll in the Maldives islands to experience a holiday like no other. This section of the...
Escape from day-to-day life for a while and take refuge in the Asian paradise of the Maldives while you spend 8 days...
True Maldivian style comes to the fore at Reethi Beach Resort, situated on the tiny Baa Atoll. The PADI 5-star Dive...
Get away from the mundane and enjoy eight days of uninterrupted sun and sand on the shores of one of the most sought...