British Airways Increases Fuel Surcharge for Caribbean Holidays
Travellers will have to pay even more for their Caribbean holidays as British Airways announces that it has increased its fuel surcharge on longhaul flights effective from Friday 8th April, 2011 and due to the increasing price of oil.
Caribbean holidays have been dealt another blow as British Airways announced last week that it will be increasing the fuel surcharge on long-haul flights from 8th April, 2011.
The increase has been applied because of the recent rise in the cost of oil but the airline has stated that this surcharge will not be increased on domestic or short-haul flights.
Chief Financial Officer of British Airways, Nick Swift, said: “It’s with real regret that we are having to increase our long-haul fuel surcharge. As customers will know from the price at the petrol pumps, the cost of fuel has continued to rise significantly over the past three months.
“For us, fuel now represents over one third of our costs and particularly affects our long-haul flights. We are very aware of the wider economic pressures on our customers at the moment and we will bear the vast majority of the recent fuel price rise ourselves to keep this increase in surcharge to a minimum.”
This will mean that long-haul non-premium flights will cost an extra £10 per sector, with World Travellers (economy) flights less than nine hours, increasing from £75 a sector to £85, and flights over nine hours will increase from £88 a sector to £98. Long-haul tickets will increase by £20 per sector.
Last month the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced in his annual Budget that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would be frozen for 12 months, but the tax is likely to increase even more next year. Though the freeze was welcomed by the Caribbean tourism industry, concerns are now being voiced over the further increase of APD next year which will have a severe impact on the number of travellers from the UK who book Caribbean holidays and the Caribbean’s economy.
British Airways operates a wide range of flights to the Caribbean from the UK and provides weekly routes for St Lucia holidays, Jamaica holidays and Dominican Republic holidays; all of which will be affected by the increase of the fuel surcharge.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Enjoy a hearty welcome from hosts that exude contagious Cuban charm on an escape to Cuba. Explore not only the vibrant...