British Airways Increases Fuel Surcharge for Caribbean Holidays
Travellers will have to pay even more for their Caribbean holidays as British Airways announces that it has increased its fuel surcharge on longhaul flights effective from Friday 8th April, 2011 and due to the increasing price of oil.
Caribbean holidays have been dealt another blow as British Airways announced last week that it will be increasing the fuel surcharge on long-haul flights from 8th April, 2011.
The increase has been applied because of the recent rise in the cost of oil but the airline has stated that this surcharge will not be increased on domestic or short-haul flights.
Chief Financial Officer of British Airways, Nick Swift, said: “It’s with real regret that we are having to increase our long-haul fuel surcharge. As customers will know from the price at the petrol pumps, the cost of fuel has continued to rise significantly over the past three months.
“For us, fuel now represents over one third of our costs and particularly affects our long-haul flights. We are very aware of the wider economic pressures on our customers at the moment and we will bear the vast majority of the recent fuel price rise ourselves to keep this increase in surcharge to a minimum.”
This will mean that long-haul non-premium flights will cost an extra £10 per sector, with World Travellers (economy) flights less than nine hours, increasing from £75 a sector to £85, and flights over nine hours will increase from £88 a sector to £98. Long-haul tickets will increase by £20 per sector.
Last month the Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced in his annual Budget that Air Passenger Duty (APD) would be frozen for 12 months, but the tax is likely to increase even more next year. Though the freeze was welcomed by the Caribbean tourism industry, concerns are now being voiced over the further increase of APD next year which will have a severe impact on the number of travellers from the UK who book Caribbean holidays and the Caribbean’s economy.
British Airways operates a wide range of flights to the Caribbean from the UK and provides weekly routes for St Lucia holidays, Jamaica holidays and Dominican Republic holidays; all of which will be affected by the increase of the fuel surcharge.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 18th Oct
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
The unlimited heaven of tranquillity in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Start your holiday at The Melia Habana Hotel, located in the heart of the elegant Miramar district, overlooking the sea....
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...