2011 starting good for Mexico, holidays more popular this year
The overall income generated from international holidaymakers taking Mexico holidays during 2010 rose 5.3 per cent from 2009, to $11.87 billion, according to a recent statement released by the Mexican Tourism Ministry.
Mexico’s overall tourism revenue, generated by international tourists taking Mexico holidays in 2010 has increased by 5.3 per cent from 2009. The revenue received from travellers taking holidays in Mexico reached $11.85 billion, according to a statement from the Mexico Tourism Ministry.
The welcome rise in revenue came after the global economic crisis and A/H1N1 influenza outbreak had a severe impact on the country’s holiday industry back in 2009. The number of holidaymakers who visited no border areas such as Cancun spent $9.36 billion, which was 8.5 per cent more than 2009, but visitors to border areas decreased 10 per cent from 2009 with $1.97 billion in tourism revenues.
Revenue acquired from Mexico holidays via cruise ships increased by 20 per cent to $544.6 million, and the number of tourists who took no boarder trips such as Cancun holidays, increased by 8.4 per cent, to 12.8 million last year. Tourism is an important source of foreign revenue for Mexico, after Crude Oil and industrial exports, and the country’s tourism leaders have been working hard to attract more visitors to the region.
Gloria Guevara, Mexico Tourism Secretary recently said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers, after the United States, with many tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. A recent report carried out by Visa Inc - Tourism Outlook: Mexico - showed that Visa cardholders spent $4.4 billion during holidays in Mexico in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organizations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unwind at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- The Adults only resort promises great parties and is just 20 minutes from the nightlife of Cancun
- Travel from May onwards and enjoy a fantastic upgrade to a Preferred Club Junior Suite Pool View
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
For the ideal combination of natural beauty and fun-filled activities, look no further than Sunscape Sabor Cozumel....
Playa del Carmen is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. Spend eight days revelling in the fine white sands...
Enjoy the best of Cancun in an eight-day retreat that will both relax and energise you completely. Your home for your...