2011 starting good for Mexico, holidays more popular this year
The overall income generated from international holidaymakers taking Mexico holidays during 2010 rose 5.3 per cent from 2009, to $11.87 billion, according to a recent statement released by the Mexican Tourism Ministry.
Mexico’s overall tourism revenue, generated by international tourists taking Mexico holidays in 2010 has increased by 5.3 per cent from 2009. The revenue received from travellers taking holidays in Mexico reached $11.85 billion, according to a statement from the Mexico Tourism Ministry.
The welcome rise in revenue came after the global economic crisis and A/H1N1 influenza outbreak had a severe impact on the country’s holiday industry back in 2009. The number of holidaymakers who visited no border areas such as Cancun spent $9.36 billion, which was 8.5 per cent more than 2009, but visitors to border areas decreased 10 per cent from 2009 with $1.97 billion in tourism revenues.
Revenue acquired from Mexico holidays via cruise ships increased by 20 per cent to $544.6 million, and the number of tourists who took no boarder trips such as Cancun holidays, increased by 8.4 per cent, to 12.8 million last year. Tourism is an important source of foreign revenue for Mexico, after Crude Oil and industrial exports, and the country’s tourism leaders have been working hard to attract more visitors to the region.
Gloria Guevara, Mexico Tourism Secretary recently said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers, after the United States, with many tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. A recent report carried out by Visa Inc - Tourism Outlook: Mexico - showed that Visa cardholders spent $4.4 billion during holidays in Mexico in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organizations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
At Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun, you will experience unlimited all inclusive luxury 24 Hours a day - it's the holiday of a lifetime
- Unlimited-Luxury with gourmet dining and premium beverages in a choice of six reservation-free restaurants and five stylish bars
- Enjoy endless activities - from kayaking to snorkelling, windsurfing and much more
- Pamper yourself with innovative treatments at the Now Spa by Pevonia
Use up to $2000 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Winner of the Trip Advisor 2015 Travellers Choice Award
- Enjoy the impressive $2000 Resort Credit per booking that you can spend on golf, spa treatments, dolphin swims, visit to Chichen Itza, Express Tour of Tulum, Family fun days out at the Wet 'N' Wild Waterpark and much more
- Whether you are looking for an active holiday or a relaxing break, Moon Palace Resort is an ideal destination for travellers of all ages
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Get up to $3600 resort credits to spend on luxurious extras like spa treatments, golf, excursions and so much more!
- Relax and rejuvenate at the world-class spa with 75 treatment rooms
- Enjoy Up to $3600 resort credit to spend on spa, excursions, golf and more
- Dine at a wide choice of restaurants specialising in Italian, Asian and Mexican cuisine
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further than Occidental at...
The Riviera Maya has long been one of the touristic gems of the Americas. The Now Sapphire Riviera Cancun is set just...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at Oasis Cancun Lite. Your...
No matter if you're returning or if this is your first time to Cancun, days full of entertainment and fine dining at the...
Take advantage of the amazing perks available at the all-inclusive Grand Ocean Oasis Sens while on a long 15-day holiday...