2011 starting good for Mexico, holidays more popular this year
The overall income generated from international holidaymakers taking Mexico holidays during 2010 rose 5.3 per cent from 2009, to $11.87 billion, according to a recent statement released by the Mexican Tourism Ministry.
Mexico’s overall tourism revenue, generated by international tourists taking Mexico holidays in 2010 has increased by 5.3 per cent from 2009. The revenue received from travellers taking holidays in Mexico reached $11.85 billion, according to a statement from the Mexico Tourism Ministry.
The welcome rise in revenue came after the global economic crisis and A/H1N1 influenza outbreak had a severe impact on the country’s holiday industry back in 2009. The number of holidaymakers who visited no border areas such as Cancun spent $9.36 billion, which was 8.5 per cent more than 2009, but visitors to border areas decreased 10 per cent from 2009 with $1.97 billion in tourism revenues.
Revenue acquired from Mexico holidays via cruise ships increased by 20 per cent to $544.6 million, and the number of tourists who took no boarder trips such as Cancun holidays, increased by 8.4 per cent, to 12.8 million last year. Tourism is an important source of foreign revenue for Mexico, after Crude Oil and industrial exports, and the country’s tourism leaders have been working hard to attract more visitors to the region.
Gloria Guevara, Mexico Tourism Secretary recently said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers, after the United States, with many tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. A recent report carried out by Visa Inc - Tourism Outlook: Mexico - showed that Visa cardholders spent $4.4 billion during holidays in Mexico in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organizations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Enjoy exclusive privileges on tap as part of the resort's signature Unlimited-Luxury all-inclusive concept.
- Intimate wine cellar offering international premium brand wine selections
- Something to keep everyone entertained at this fantastic family friendly resort
- Outdoor pool theater for shows and theme dinners
Life doesn't get much better than a stay in the Riviera Maya, just a heart beat away from the awe-inspiring Tulum pyramids
- The proximity to the "best-preserved Mayan ruins in the Western Hemisphere"
- The FREE Unlimited Connectivity app allows guests to make local calls, send messages, emails and surf the web over the hotel's Wi-Fi. It's even possible to book Spa treatments, plan romantic dinners, check the resort map, book activities and more
- All-inclusive facilities include 9 restaurants, 7 bars, a private beach, 2 pools and more
Live it up and Experience Cancun in unlimited luxury that knows no bounds at Dreams Sands Cancun Resort and Spa
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at an unforgettable resort
- Huge Savings when staying in Preferred Club rooms or suites
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Soak up the sun in limitless luxury surrounded by luscious gardens and an idyllic setting at The Grand Lifestyle at...