2011 starting good for Mexico, holidays more popular this year
The overall income generated from international holidaymakers taking Mexico holidays during 2010 rose 5.3 per cent from 2009, to $11.87 billion, according to a recent statement released by the Mexican Tourism Ministry.
Mexico’s overall tourism revenue, generated by international tourists taking Mexico holidays in 2010 has increased by 5.3 per cent from 2009. The revenue received from travellers taking holidays in Mexico reached $11.85 billion, according to a statement from the Mexico Tourism Ministry.
The welcome rise in revenue came after the global economic crisis and A/H1N1 influenza outbreak had a severe impact on the country’s holiday industry back in 2009. The number of holidaymakers who visited no border areas such as Cancun spent $9.36 billion, which was 8.5 per cent more than 2009, but visitors to border areas decreased 10 per cent from 2009 with $1.97 billion in tourism revenues.
Revenue acquired from Mexico holidays via cruise ships increased by 20 per cent to $544.6 million, and the number of tourists who took no boarder trips such as Cancun holidays, increased by 8.4 per cent, to 12.8 million last year. Tourism is an important source of foreign revenue for Mexico, after Crude Oil and industrial exports, and the country’s tourism leaders have been working hard to attract more visitors to the region.
Gloria Guevara, Mexico Tourism Secretary recently said: “Tourism is a priority for Mexico. That’s why President Felipe Calderon has declared 2011 the year of tourism with an important calendar of activities.”
Mexico has become the second leading cruise ship destination for travellers, after the United States, with many tourists taking holidays in Cancun, Cozumel and Puerto Vallarta. A recent report carried out by Visa Inc - Tourism Outlook: Mexico - showed that Visa cardholders spent $4.4 billion during holidays in Mexico in 2010, despite the turbulent economic times.
Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., Eduardo Coello, said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organizations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritise tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Exclusive discount to the eco-archaeological Xcaret Park
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars & access to 5 Swimming Pools
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Let the Caribbean sunshine make you glow from the inside out when you stay at Cancun's Golden Parnassus resort - a truly luxurious all inclusive retreat where you'll be wanting for nothing.
- Take advantage of the superb facilities and enjoy a range of activities including water sports, mini golf and tennis
- A luxury all inclusive resort offering a relaxing adults-only environment ideal for a pampering beach holiday or romantic honeymoon
- Ideal location set by a beautiful white sand beach in Cancun with sweeping views of the Mexican Caribbean
The ideal romantic setting for honeymooners and lovers to enjoy an adults only haven
- Unlimited-Luxury concept offering exceptional all-inclusive privileges
- Adults only resort just 20 minutes from the airport and the nightlife of Cancun 15 miles away
- Enjoy one of the various treatments on offer at the lavish Secrets Spa by Pevonia complete with 17 massage rooms and a hypnotherapy circuit
Use up to $2500 resort credit to indulge in spa treatments, golf sessions or a selection of excursions that will make your Cancun holiday truly unforgettable.
- Duran Duran in concert at Moon Palace on 29th December (tickets additional cost)
- Awesome resort credits with up to $2500 to spend on spa treatments, dolphin swims, access to the Wet 'N' Wild waterpark and much more
- Fantastic all-inclusive package providing all meals, snacks, unlimited premium beverages, 24-hour room service and more
- Kids can Stay, Play and Eat free at Moon Palace when travelling from 1st June to 31st August 2016 & October Half Term (17th - 31st October 2016)
- Moon Spa & Golf Club is home to one of only two Jack Nicklaus Signature Golf Courses in Cancun
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Have the dreamiest of getaways at the magnificent, ultra all-inclusive Dreams Sands Cancun and make the most of the...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort you will...
Playacar is simply one of the most scintillating stretches of coastline in Mexico, if not the world. Take eight days to...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Take a trip to the sunny side of life with an 8-day excursion to Mexico's lovely Caribbean Sea coastline. This is widely...