Cuba holiday arrivals, 14.7% increase during 2011
The Cuba National Statistics Office has revealed that over one million international tourists took Cuba holidays in the first two months of 2011, resulting in a 14.7 per cent increase in Cuba tourism and marking a giant step towards the 2011 target.
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first two months of 2011 grew by 14.7 per cent, according to the Cuban National Statistics Office.
Over one million travellers visited the Caribbean island for their Cuba holidays in January and February this year; a figure which leads takes Cuban tourism one huge step closer towards the expected target of three million holidaymakers in total for 2011.
In February, 292,332 tourists visited the island, resulting in a 34.2 per cent increase on the same period in 2007.
Earlier this year, the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, announced that the island country would this year be expecting an eight per cent increase on the number of tourists who took holidays in Cuba in 2010.
Last year, 2,530,000 foreign visitors travelled to Cuba and this figure is expected to see a significant increase in 2011 as Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers have been relaxed.
President Barrack Obama eased restrictions in January this year for American travellers who were planning Cuba holidays for the purpose of religious, cultural, academic and educational reasons. Though U.S tourists are still unable to freely take holidays in Cuba, the relaxed restrictions are expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism, economy, and local business such as Cuba hotels, tour companies and restaurants.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry’s hard work of launching a number of advertising and marketing campaigns, which target old and new markets, seems to have paid off, particularly in countries such as Canada, Scandinavia and Russia where tourist numbers from these countries have largely increased.
A number of the island’s main visitor attractions are being restored and renovated for the expected influx of new visitor arrivals this year including World Heritage Sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 19:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- This package offers little touches to make your holiday extra special including a Welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava on arrival in Havana and Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking for adventure or relaxation
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...