Cuba holiday arrivals, 14.7% increase during 2011
The Cuba National Statistics Office has revealed that over one million international tourists took Cuba holidays in the first two months of 2011, resulting in a 14.7 per cent increase in Cuba tourism and marking a giant step towards the 2011 target.
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first two months of 2011 grew by 14.7 per cent, according to the Cuban National Statistics Office.
Over one million travellers visited the Caribbean island for their Cuba holidays in January and February this year; a figure which leads takes Cuban tourism one huge step closer towards the expected target of three million holidaymakers in total for 2011.
In February, 292,332 tourists visited the island, resulting in a 34.2 per cent increase on the same period in 2007.
Earlier this year, the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, announced that the island country would this year be expecting an eight per cent increase on the number of tourists who took holidays in Cuba in 2010.
Last year, 2,530,000 foreign visitors travelled to Cuba and this figure is expected to see a significant increase in 2011 as Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers have been relaxed.
President Barrack Obama eased restrictions in January this year for American travellers who were planning Cuba holidays for the purpose of religious, cultural, academic and educational reasons. Though U.S tourists are still unable to freely take holidays in Cuba, the relaxed restrictions are expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism, economy, and local business such as Cuba hotels, tour companies and restaurants.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry’s hard work of launching a number of advertising and marketing campaigns, which target old and new markets, seems to have paid off, particularly in countries such as Canada, Scandinavia and Russia where tourist numbers from these countries have largely increased.
A number of the island’s main visitor attractions are being restored and renovated for the expected influx of new visitor arrivals this year including World Heritage Sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- Varadero History and Nature Tour Included
- Located on one of the best beaches in Varadero
- Excellent selection of 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- You will be staying in luxurious hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly and offer the best of both worlds whether you are looking to adventure or relax
- Enjoy a bottle of sparking wine and chocolates upon arrival guaranteed for couples at Melia Habana Hotel and a romantic dinner for two in Havana
- Experience the best of the world famous Varadero Beach where white sand is lapped by clear water when staying at Melia Varadero
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...