Cuba holiday arrivals, 14.7% increase during 2011
The Cuba National Statistics Office has revealed that over one million international tourists took Cuba holidays in the first two months of 2011, resulting in a 14.7 per cent increase in Cuba tourism and marking a giant step towards the 2011 target.
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first two months of 2011 grew by 14.7 per cent, according to the Cuban National Statistics Office.
Over one million travellers visited the Caribbean island for their Cuba holidays in January and February this year; a figure which leads takes Cuban tourism one huge step closer towards the expected target of three million holidaymakers in total for 2011.
In February, 292,332 tourists visited the island, resulting in a 34.2 per cent increase on the same period in 2007.
Earlier this year, the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, announced that the island country would this year be expecting an eight per cent increase on the number of tourists who took holidays in Cuba in 2010.
Last year, 2,530,000 foreign visitors travelled to Cuba and this figure is expected to see a significant increase in 2011 as Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers have been relaxed.
President Barrack Obama eased restrictions in January this year for American travellers who were planning Cuba holidays for the purpose of religious, cultural, academic and educational reasons. Though U.S tourists are still unable to freely take holidays in Cuba, the relaxed restrictions are expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism, economy, and local business such as Cuba hotels, tour companies and restaurants.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry’s hard work of launching a number of advertising and marketing campaigns, which target old and new markets, seems to have paid off, particularly in countries such as Canada, Scandinavia and Russia where tourist numbers from these countries have largely increased.
A number of the island’s main visitor attractions are being restored and renovated for the expected influx of new visitor arrivals this year including World Heritage Sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 17:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
With great watersports galore, your winter-sun holiday can be one to remember in Cuba
- Try your hand at some adrenaline-pumping water sports including sailing, windsurfing and diving
- If you’re not up for a night on the tiles you can simply chill out at the resort and enjoy the evening’s entertainment
- If you’re a night-owl you won’t be able to resist Varadero’s buzzing nightlife
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 15th Nov
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...