Cuba holiday arrivals, 14.7% increase during 2011
The Cuba National Statistics Office has revealed that over one million international tourists took Cuba holidays in the first two months of 2011, resulting in a 14.7 per cent increase in Cuba tourism and marking a giant step towards the 2011 target.
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first two months of 2011 grew by 14.7 per cent, according to the Cuban National Statistics Office.
Over one million travellers visited the Caribbean island for their Cuba holidays in January and February this year; a figure which leads takes Cuban tourism one huge step closer towards the expected target of three million holidaymakers in total for 2011.
In February, 292,332 tourists visited the island, resulting in a 34.2 per cent increase on the same period in 2007.
Earlier this year, the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, announced that the island country would this year be expecting an eight per cent increase on the number of tourists who took holidays in Cuba in 2010.
Last year, 2,530,000 foreign visitors travelled to Cuba and this figure is expected to see a significant increase in 2011 as Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers have been relaxed.
President Barrack Obama eased restrictions in January this year for American travellers who were planning Cuba holidays for the purpose of religious, cultural, academic and educational reasons. Though U.S tourists are still unable to freely take holidays in Cuba, the relaxed restrictions are expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism, economy, and local business such as Cuba hotels, tour companies and restaurants.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry’s hard work of launching a number of advertising and marketing campaigns, which target old and new markets, seems to have paid off, particularly in countries such as Canada, Scandinavia and Russia where tourist numbers from these countries have largely increased.
A number of the island’s main visitor attractions are being restored and renovated for the expected influx of new visitor arrivals this year including World Heritage Sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Expect Luxury, comfort and relaxation!
- Enjoy spa treatments, water and land sports and more for a fun-filled break
- Relish fantastic eating and drinking options 24 hours a day
- Enjoy complimentary perks, including a bottle of sparkling wine, a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple.
Fall in love with Havana and its captivating heritage before being dazzled by the pristine shores of Varadero
- Stunning hotels in both Havana and Varadero that combine perfectly, offering the best of both worlds for adventure or relaxation
- Stay in a Sea View Room in Havana for all three nights, for an extra £20 per person
- Fly premium-economy class from an extra £199 per person, each way
- Little touches to make your holiday extra special, including a welcome cocktail and a bottle of cava upon arrival in Havana and Varadero
- Experience the world famous Varadero beach, where white sand is lapped by the clear waters when staying at Melia Varadero
Discover the relaxing Varadero and sink into sublim tranquillity
- Experience the beauty of Varadero Beach where you can relax and unwind on the tranquil white sandy beaches whilst enjoying the 24-hrs All-inclusive offered at the Luxurious Iberostar Varadero
- Stay in Havana's most highly rated hotel, with an iconic location facing Central Park
- Discover Cuba whilst staying at the 2 Top rated TripAdvisor hotels in Cuba
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
Travel to one of Cuba's hidden touristic gems, Varadero, where stretches of secluded beach await you at Blau Varadero....
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Beautifully perched on the panoramic Mensura Hill, surrounded by striking greenery, this blessed and secluded natural...
Explore the many entertaining sites of the famous Varadero beach in Cuba, while enjoying a peaceful 10-day getaway at...
Club Kawama depicts a traditional hacienda type atmosphere, but in actual fact it's an All Inclusive resort. Beautifully...