Cuba holiday arrivals, 14.7% increase during 2011
The Cuba National Statistics Office has revealed that over one million international tourists took Cuba holidays in the first two months of 2011, resulting in a 14.7 per cent increase in Cuba tourism and marking a giant step towards the 2011 target.
The number of tourists who took Cuba holidays during the first two months of 2011 grew by 14.7 per cent, according to the Cuban National Statistics Office.
Over one million travellers visited the Caribbean island for their Cuba holidays in January and February this year; a figure which leads takes Cuban tourism one huge step closer towards the expected target of three million holidaymakers in total for 2011.
In February, 292,332 tourists visited the island, resulting in a 34.2 per cent increase on the same period in 2007.
Earlier this year, the Commercial Manager of the Cuban Tourism Ministry, Jose Manuel Bisbe, announced that the island country would this year be expecting an eight per cent increase on the number of tourists who took holidays in Cuba in 2010.
Last year, 2,530,000 foreign visitors travelled to Cuba and this figure is expected to see a significant increase in 2011 as Cuba travel restrictions for American travellers have been relaxed.
President Barrack Obama eased restrictions in January this year for American travellers who were planning Cuba holidays for the purpose of religious, cultural, academic and educational reasons. Though U.S tourists are still unable to freely take holidays in Cuba, the relaxed restrictions are expected to have a positive impact on Cuba's tourism, economy, and local business such as Cuba hotels, tour companies and restaurants.
The Cuban Tourism Ministry’s hard work of launching a number of advertising and marketing campaigns, which target old and new markets, seems to have paid off, particularly in countries such as Canada, Scandinavia and Russia where tourist numbers from these countries have largely increased.
A number of the island’s main visitor attractions are being restored and renovated for the expected influx of new visitor arrivals this year including World Heritage Sites such as Remedios, Old Havana, Santiago de Cuba, Trinidad, Camaguey, Baracoa, and Ciego de Avila.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th May 2017
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Exclusive Free upgrade to the Bungalow Suite
Soak up the Caribbean sun on Varadero’s white sands
- The state of the art facilities and décor, that ensure a comfortable stay
- The daytime activities program & Kids club.
- The perfect location along one of the most spectacular stretches of beach in Cuba.
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...