Legal battle looms between British and Caribbean governments over APD for Caribbean holidays
Trouble could be brewing between Caribbean governments and the British government over discrimination accusations and violation of existing legal agreements in regards to maintaining the level of Air Passenger Duty for Caribbean holidays.
Caribbean governments may be forced to take legal action against the British government on the basis of discrimination and the violation of existing legal agreements over the level of Air Passenger Duty (APD) enforced on travellers departing UK airports.
During last month’s Budget statement, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced that the British government will be freezing Airport Passenger Duty for 12 months.
Caribbean governments were hoping that the APD would be scrapped completely but instead, Osborne stated that the freeze would apply to the current level of APD while indicating that the tax could increase even more next year.
During his speech, Osborne said that the high level of APD was having a significant effect on the spending habits of UK residents, with many UK travellers being put off booking Caribbean holidays due to the high APD costs.
The Caribbean governments’ argument is that Osborne failed to recognise the impact the high APD is having on the Caribbean tourism sector and region’s economy.
APD was first established in 1994 and since its introduction the government has increased this tax by a staggering 2,600 per cent, with passenger departing UK airports for holidays in the Caribbean paying considerably higher APD tax than tourists travelling from airports in neighbouring countries.
Lolita Applewhaite, the acting Secretary General of CARICOM, recently voiced her concerns over the UK’s APD, saying: “We view the APD as discriminatory against Caribbean destinations and Caribbean people living in the United Kingdom seeking to travel to the region.”
The British government created four bands from A to D, with A being the cheapest and D the most expensive. Caribbean countries were placed in Band C, despite holidays to the Caribbean departing from the UK being closer in distance than many of the journey to some of the countries which were categorised in Band B.
Osborne added in his statement: “In the meantime, we are consulting today on how to improve the existing and rather arbitrary bands that appear to believe that the Caribbean is further away than California.
“We hoped we could replace the per passenger tax with a per plane tax. We have tried every possible option, but have reluctantly had to accept that all are currently illegal under international law.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 20:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
Enjoy the long list of fun options for all the family or bask on Varadero's pure white sands
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 31st Jul 2017
- Sample a host of activities including snorkelling, kayaking, windsurfing, golf and more.
- Located on a gorgeous stretch of Varadero beach.
- Enjoy 24-hour all-inclusive service.
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 5 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Blau Varadero - limited availability
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
- Blau Vardero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...