Legal battle looms between British and Caribbean governments over APD for Caribbean holidays
Trouble could be brewing between Caribbean governments and the British government over discrimination accusations and violation of existing legal agreements in regards to maintaining the level of Air Passenger Duty for Caribbean holidays.
Caribbean governments may be forced to take legal action against the British government on the basis of discrimination and the violation of existing legal agreements over the level of Air Passenger Duty (APD) enforced on travellers departing UK airports.
During last month’s Budget statement, the British Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne, announced that the British government will be freezing Airport Passenger Duty for 12 months.
Caribbean governments were hoping that the APD would be scrapped completely but instead, Osborne stated that the freeze would apply to the current level of APD while indicating that the tax could increase even more next year.
During his speech, Osborne said that the high level of APD was having a significant effect on the spending habits of UK residents, with many UK travellers being put off booking Caribbean holidays due to the high APD costs.
The Caribbean governments’ argument is that Osborne failed to recognise the impact the high APD is having on the Caribbean tourism sector and region’s economy.
APD was first established in 1994 and since its introduction the government has increased this tax by a staggering 2,600 per cent, with passenger departing UK airports for holidays in the Caribbean paying considerably higher APD tax than tourists travelling from airports in neighbouring countries.
Lolita Applewhaite, the acting Secretary General of CARICOM, recently voiced her concerns over the UK’s APD, saying: “We view the APD as discriminatory against Caribbean destinations and Caribbean people living in the United Kingdom seeking to travel to the region.”
The British government created four bands from A to D, with A being the cheapest and D the most expensive. Caribbean countries were placed in Band C, despite holidays to the Caribbean departing from the UK being closer in distance than many of the journey to some of the countries which were categorised in Band B.
Osborne added in his statement: “In the meantime, we are consulting today on how to improve the existing and rather arbitrary bands that appear to believe that the Caribbean is further away than California.
“We hoped we could replace the per passenger tax with a per plane tax. We have tried every possible option, but have reluctantly had to accept that all are currently illegal under international law.”
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 17:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Caribbean and Costa Rica Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero
- Enjoy water sports on the Varadero beach, relax by the hotel pool, sample a refreshing cocktail
- Book now to receive our exclusive Couples offer which includes a bottle of cava on arrival in both hotels, turndown service in the evenings and a guaranteed reservation in the a la carte restaurants in Varadero and much more
- Experience Havana's vintage vibe & Varadero's soft white-sand beaches all in one trip
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
The unlimited heaven of tranquility in a perfect setting
- Iberostar Parque Central Hotel is a great base to discover Havana's historic Old Town.
- Activities throughout the day at Iberostar Varadero Hotel , including aerobics, archery, basketball, beach volleyball, football, kayaking and more.
- The luxurious 5 star accommodation ensures a comfortable adventure.
One of Havana’s most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the Capri is a legendary property with over...
Soak up the history of Havana as well as the magnificence of Varadero beach on an unforgettable twin centre holiday to...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
Escape to the pristine beaches of the south coast of Barbados for a holiday you will never forget. This is the perfect...
St Lawrence Gap is famous for its many restaurants, great shopping and lively nightlife. This 1.3 km stretch of road,...
This is the place to be if you're looking for a sun-drenched holiday by the sea. Rostrevor Hotel is one of the most...