Visa Inc. Annual Report Shows Spending Increases for Travellers Taking Mexico Holidays
Findings of the report, Tourism Outlook: Mexico, carried out by Visa Inc. have revealed the way that tourists spent their money during Mexico holidays over the last two years, which showed that the Visa cardholders spent $4.4 billion in 2010.
Visa Inc. has released findings of their annual report, Tourism Outlook: Mexico which shows that international visa cardholders taking Mexico holidays increased by 12 per cent from 2009 to 2010.
The report analysed the spending habits of Visa cardholders over the past two years and revealed that spending increased from $4 billion in 2009 to $4.4 billion in 2010, despite the global economic crisis.
Eduardo Coello, Country Manager of Mexico, Visa Inc., said: "Mexico has continued to make its mark on the global tourism landscape as a sought after destination.
"Over the past few years, Visa has worked closely with organizations within the Mexican tourism industry to analyse proprietary Visa spend data to help prioritize tourism policy and implement business and marketing practices that will best attract visitors and strengthen tourism competitiveness."
The majority of travellers who took holidays in Mexico in 2010 were from the United States according to the report, with American tourists spending over $3.1 billion on their Visa cards; a seven per cent increase on 2009. During 2010, Canadians spent $538 million; Spain, $102 million; France, $89.8 million; and the United Kingdom, $83.3 million.
During their Mexico holidays in 2010, international travellers who used their Visa cards spent nearly $2.3 billion on clothing, food and general retail purchases. Figures from the report show that 17 per cent of all purchases made by Visa card were spent on lodgings such as Mexican or Cancun hotels; seven per cent on entertainment and other travel methods; five per cent on local restaurants; and four per cent on airlines.
Holidays in Cancun are amongst one of the most popular choices for many travellers with an array of luxury Cancun hotels and resorts, beaches and historical Mayan ruins and heritage sites.
During Cancun holidays, tourists can explore the historical Mayan sites including the large Chichén Itzá Archaeological Site; visit the beautiful islands of Cozumel and Isle Mujeres; bathe, snorkel or scuba dive in the sparkling turquoise waters of the Caribbean Sea; walk along soft powder white sand beaches; trek through lush tropical forests; and explore the region’s breathtaking wildlife within nature reserves that include the eco-archaeological park, Xcaret, the Rio Secreto Natural Reserve and Sian Ka'an Biosphere Reserve.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Mexico and Cancun Browse all
Stay close to all the action in a fabulous resort that's part of a beautiful ecological reserve and sits right next to Xcaret, Cancun's number one theme park.
- This resort is a fantastic choice for an exciting family holiday that you will never forget,why not make it extra special by upgrading to visit the amazing Xcaret Park (extra charges apply)
- Limitless all-inclusive fun and thrills for everyone in a beautiful eco-reserve facing a glorious beach
- Enjoy access to 11 Restaurants and 10 Bars catering to every taste and occasion & access to 7 glorious Swimming Pools including 1 at Royal Level, 1 salt water pool only for adults and 1 children's pool
Enjoy sweeping ocean views from your room, indulge in unlimited inclusions and soak up the best of Cancun at this beautiful retreat.
- Set on a pristine stretch of private white sand fringing the Caribbean Sea, in the popular hotel district of the city
- Every luxury is included in the package - top-shelf spirits, gourmet meals, snacks and a great programme of day and night activities, including various water-sports
- Chic guest rooms feature plush furnishings and ultra modern bathrooms, as well as fantastic amenities
A secluded location at a beautiful all inclusive resort designed for adults only is perfect for a taste of romance enhanced by Mayan wonder
- Enjoy 24 hour room service, pool and beach waiter service, six swimming pools, water sports and more
- Experience fine dining and gourmet cuisine with a choice of nine restaurants
- Relax in style at this all-suite luxury resort situated on a white sand beach
Escape and indulge yourself at the recently opened Secrets The Vine, a haven of natural beauty and elegance on the shores of the Yucatan Peninsula
- Unlimited-Luxury® privileges include gourmet dining at 6 restaurants, a poolside grill, a cafe and unlimited top-shelf spirits at 6 bars and lounges
- Enjoy complimentary green fees at the nearby Playa Mujeres Golf Club
- Stay in an adults only ultra deluxe beachside haven in the heart of Cancun sure to provide the perfect base for a great holiday
- Signature element of wine with a winery including over 3000 varieties of wine.
- Enjoy huge savings on this amazing hotel including 'Live It Up' for travel in 2018 slashing higher room category prices
If you're searching for the perfect combination of beach fun and natural discovery, look no further. Home to ancient...
Take a holiday to the Caribbean resort of Cancun in Mexico. In the magnificent Moon Palace Cancun you will be perfectly...
Get away from it all with a once in a lifetime excursion to Cancun, one of Mexico's most celebrated resort towns. This...
Indulge in a true adults-only (over 21), urban experience at Oh! where you can take advantage of the hotel’s enviable...
Discover a world of entertainment and join in on the best, non-stop family fun at the all-inclusive Sea Adventure Resort...
Situated in the heart of the famous Riviera Maya, the Oasis Tulum Lite is a high-end resort designed with your...