Additional U.S Airports to Provide Options for Cuba Holidays
Tampa International Airport is among eight airports in the United States that have been given the go-ahead to provide charter flights for travellers heading off Cuba holidays, with flights scheduled to start by the end of the summer 2011.
Tampa International Airport is one of eight additional airports in the United States to have been awarded the operation of flights to Cuba, joining the likes of New York, Miami and Los Angeles who until now were the only airports to offer the routes to this Caribbean destination from the U.S.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents for religious, academic, educational, and cultural purposes or to conduct business within the medical and agricultural sectors.
The eased restrictions have led to an increase in demand for charter flights to the Caribbean island from U.S airports and until recently only Los Angeles, New York and Miami airports were allowed to offer Cuba flights.
Tampa International Airport is one of the first to be awarded the new routes and the other seven U.S airports include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International; Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport; Dallas Fort Worth International; Louis Armstrong New Orleans International; O'Hare International in Chicago; Pittsburgh International, and San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
Erlinda Byrd, from the US Customs and Border Protection Customs office, stated: "More airports will be added to the list."
The flights from Tampa are expected to start from this summer or early autumn with plans to provide routes for holidays in Cuba at least once a week. So far, at least three charter airlines have shown an interest in operating flights between Cuba and Tampa.
Chief Executive of Tampa International Airport, Joe Lopano, said ticket prices have yet to be decided but the airport will not be adding special fees to the fares.
The introduction of new airports offering flights for holidays to Cuba is expected to bring competitive airfares as travellers are given more flight options from more local airports.
Delta Air Lines is currently licensed to operate charter flights to Cuba and is expected to provide a new additional service from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Last year Obama’s administration eased restrictions of Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents and the new changes implemented earlier this year are expected to bring a welcome boost to Cuba’s tourism which will have a positive impact on Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 10:30 - 18:30 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Delight in the best Cuba has to offer with this stunning beach and city twin centre holiday
- Add Havana half-day tour from £49pp, taking in Revolution Square, Malecón and the UNESCO World Heritage Site of Old Havana
- Iberostar Tainos is designed in the style of a traditional Caribbean village with two-storey bungalows that comprise spacious and elegant rooms
- Enjoy a historic stay in Havana at the NH Capri Hotel, which opened in 1957 and was initially run by the mafia
A superb combination of great accommodation and exciting activities make this resort one of Cuba's hottest properties
- Previous winner of the Trip Advisor Certificate of Excellence, and ranked in the top 5 Hotels in Varadero
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a range of tours and excursions
- Couples can benefit from a free bottle of sparkling wine and a romantic dinner for two, plus a 30 min massage per couple
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then Stay next to Cuba's famous Varadero beach
- Exclusive Couples offer - Welcome Cocktail, 1 hour free Wifi Access in Havana plus a bottle of wine on arrival, 30-minute massage and a Romantic Dinner in Varadero
- Blau Varadero offers something for everyone with as little or as much as you want to do on offer including a spa
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 28th Feb
- Be swept away by the amazing views of Havana from Capri's rooftop pool
One of Havana's most historically popular mafia-run hotels of the 50s, the NH Capri is a legendary property with over...
Combine exploring the old dimes of Havana with a refreshing beach retreat in Vardero on an unforgettable twin centre...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...