Additional U.S Airports to Provide Options for Cuba Holidays
Tampa International Airport is among eight airports in the United States that have been given the go-ahead to provide charter flights for travellers heading off Cuba holidays, with flights scheduled to start by the end of the summer 2011.
Tampa International Airport is one of eight additional airports in the United States to have been awarded the operation of flights to Cuba, joining the likes of New York, Miami and Los Angeles who until now were the only airports to offer the routes to this Caribbean destination from the U.S.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents for religious, academic, educational, and cultural purposes or to conduct business within the medical and agricultural sectors.
The eased restrictions have led to an increase in demand for charter flights to the Caribbean island from U.S airports and until recently only Los Angeles, New York and Miami airports were allowed to offer Cuba flights.
Tampa International Airport is one of the first to be awarded the new routes and the other seven U.S airports include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International; Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport; Dallas Fort Worth International; Louis Armstrong New Orleans International; O'Hare International in Chicago; Pittsburgh International, and San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
Erlinda Byrd, from the US Customs and Border Protection Customs office, stated: "More airports will be added to the list."
The flights from Tampa are expected to start from this summer or early autumn with plans to provide routes for holidays in Cuba at least once a week. So far, at least three charter airlines have shown an interest in operating flights between Cuba and Tampa.
Chief Executive of Tampa International Airport, Joe Lopano, said ticket prices have yet to be decided but the airport will not be adding special fees to the fares.
The introduction of new airports offering flights for holidays to Cuba is expected to bring competitive airfares as travellers are given more flight options from more local airports.
Delta Air Lines is currently licensed to operate charter flights to Cuba and is expected to provide a new additional service from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Last year Obama’s administration eased restrictions of Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents and the new changes implemented earlier this year are expected to bring a welcome boost to Cuba’s tourism which will have a positive impact on Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
A couples' special - enjoy the perfect mix of history, local culture and laidback beach retreat for the perfect romantic Cuban experience.
- Enjoy all kind of the Spa treatments, water and land sports at Blau Varadero
- Fantastic views to the ocean from the modern and elegant rooms with balcony or terrace
- The perfect location of Blau Varadero beside the pristine sandy beach
Stay at a Havana hotel brimming with history then head off to a brand-new beachfront resort in Varadero
Relish the timeless charms of Cuba from the comfort of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels
- Stay at two of Cuba’s most cutting edge hotels, bursting with modern comforts
- Relish an all-inclusive beach retreat, boasting an overabundance of facilities
- Explore Havana’s charismatic, timeless and bustling streets
Combine colourful and vibrant Havana with a relaxing summer 2017 beach holiday in an award winning resort on the shores of Varadero
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Discover Havana by day visit the historial sites and by night you can listen to live music or dance to the Salsa beat
- Enjoy complimentary pool-based dive courses on offer for beginners and experience one free daily dive at the Royalton Hicacos
- Three freshwater pools including four whirlpools and signature swim-up pool bar at Royalton Hicacos ensure an unforgettable holiday
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach
- Virgin Atlantic Sale, huge reductions sale ends 29th June 2017
- Book now and get a free upgrade to the sea view at Melia Habana - limited availability
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste
- Exclusive Singles offer at Paradisus Princesa Del Mar – No single supplement for Summer 2017 - Limited Availability
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
If you want to really feel Cuba's beating heart and pulsating rhythms, this is one of the best for an unforgettable...
This 1920s colonial house is surrounded by lush vegetation and terrace areas and boasts a stunning array of antiques,...
Villa Romero is beautiful in its design, and its comfortable rooms are pleasantly decorated to a high standard, offering...
Look out onto the day to day life of Havana's streets from the Casa Santy's balconies, with its great location and a...