Additional U.S Airports to Provide Options for Cuba Holidays
Tampa International Airport is among eight airports in the United States that have been given the go-ahead to provide charter flights for travellers heading off Cuba holidays, with flights scheduled to start by the end of the summer 2011.
Tampa International Airport is one of eight additional airports in the United States to have been awarded the operation of flights to Cuba, joining the likes of New York, Miami and Los Angeles who until now were the only airports to offer the routes to this Caribbean destination from the U.S.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents for religious, academic, educational, and cultural purposes or to conduct business within the medical and agricultural sectors.
The eased restrictions have led to an increase in demand for charter flights to the Caribbean island from U.S airports and until recently only Los Angeles, New York and Miami airports were allowed to offer Cuba flights.
Tampa International Airport is one of the first to be awarded the new routes and the other seven U.S airports include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International; Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport; Dallas Fort Worth International; Louis Armstrong New Orleans International; O'Hare International in Chicago; Pittsburgh International, and San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
Erlinda Byrd, from the US Customs and Border Protection Customs office, stated: "More airports will be added to the list."
The flights from Tampa are expected to start from this summer or early autumn with plans to provide routes for holidays in Cuba at least once a week. So far, at least three charter airlines have shown an interest in operating flights between Cuba and Tampa.
Chief Executive of Tampa International Airport, Joe Lopano, said ticket prices have yet to be decided but the airport will not be adding special fees to the fares.
The introduction of new airports offering flights for holidays to Cuba is expected to bring competitive airfares as travellers are given more flight options from more local airports.
Delta Air Lines is currently licensed to operate charter flights to Cuba and is expected to provide a new additional service from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Last year Obama’s administration eased restrictions of Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents and the new changes implemented earlier this year are expected to bring a welcome boost to Cuba’s tourism which will have a positive impact on Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
Enjoy a wide range of added values, fun activities or relax and lie under the sun on exclusive private beach area in Varadero
- Never waste a minute of your holiday and enjoy all fun activities from waters sports to golf lessons at Breezes Bella Costa
- Experience Varadero to the fullest with fantastic options for couples, families or singles as there is something to suit everyone
- Memories Miramar Hotel has a fantastic location and is only a 5-minute walk from the nearest beach
Combine exploring the iconic and pulsating city of Havana with a relaxing summer retreat to the stunning Varadero beach.
- Book early and benifit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- The plethora of activities and classes that will cater for every taste.
- A Complimentary shuttle to the iconic city of Havana
- A Luxurious and comfortable stay with 5* amenities
An unforgettable holiday experience combining the vibrant life of Havana and the relaxing beach at Varadero
- Upgrade to The Royalton Hicacos Diamond Club and benefit from personalized check in, exclusive beach area, room service 24 hours and much more
- Benefit from the multiple swimming pools and a wide variety of non-motorised water sports in Varadero
- Couples can enjoy little 'extras' at Melia Habana Hotel, offering a sparkling wine and chocolates on arrival
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Discover the cultural and historical treasures of Havana as you're treated to 5-star service at the Iberostar Parque...
Are you searching for an adventurous holiday filled with culture, authenticity and charm? Then why not enjoy a twin...
Fancy a charming and adventurous holiday? Why not try our twin centre package that allows you to explore the contagious...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...