Additional U.S Airports to Provide Options for Cuba Holidays
Tampa International Airport is among eight airports in the United States that have been given the go-ahead to provide charter flights for travellers heading off Cuba holidays, with flights scheduled to start by the end of the summer 2011.
Tampa International Airport is one of eight additional airports in the United States to have been awarded the operation of flights to Cuba, joining the likes of New York, Miami and Los Angeles who until now were the only airports to offer the routes to this Caribbean destination from the U.S.
Earlier this year, President Obama relaxed restrictions on Cuba travel for American residents for religious, academic, educational, and cultural purposes or to conduct business within the medical and agricultural sectors.
The eased restrictions have led to an increase in demand for charter flights to the Caribbean island from U.S airports and until recently only Los Angeles, New York and Miami airports were allowed to offer Cuba flights.
Tampa International Airport is one of the first to be awarded the new routes and the other seven U.S airports include Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International; Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport; Dallas Fort Worth International; Louis Armstrong New Orleans International; O'Hare International in Chicago; Pittsburgh International, and San Juan Louis Munoz Marin International in Puerto Rico.
Erlinda Byrd, from the US Customs and Border Protection Customs office, stated: "More airports will be added to the list."
The flights from Tampa are expected to start from this summer or early autumn with plans to provide routes for holidays in Cuba at least once a week. So far, at least three charter airlines have shown an interest in operating flights between Cuba and Tampa.
Chief Executive of Tampa International Airport, Joe Lopano, said ticket prices have yet to be decided but the airport will not be adding special fees to the fares.
The introduction of new airports offering flights for holidays to Cuba is expected to bring competitive airfares as travellers are given more flight options from more local airports.
Delta Air Lines is currently licensed to operate charter flights to Cuba and is expected to provide a new additional service from Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport.
Last year Obama’s administration eased restrictions of Cuba travel for Cuban-American residents and the new changes implemented earlier this year are expected to bring a welcome boost to Cuba’s tourism which will have a positive impact on Cuba hotels, attractions, and local businesses.
Talk to a specialist
Call 020 7644 1770 to speak with our award-winning travel consultants.
Opening hours 09:00 - 21:00 GMT
Popular Holidays In Cuba Browse all
Dive into the warm water of Varadero beach and relax under the caribbean sunshine
- Enjoy a fantastic Varadero City Tour
- Suites feature a separate living area and Tropical suites feature breathtaking views of the sea
- Golf lovers can play on the nearby Varadero 18 hole golf course
- Book now and benefit from huge savings with the launch of the new Virgin Atlantic to Varadero offer!
Escape to Cuba's sunkissed sands and enjoy what Club Amigo Aguas Azules has to offer for an amazing price!
- All inclusive features a buffet restaurant, 2 a la carte restaurants and a choice of 4 bars (Local Sprits, Wine, beer & soft drinks served)
- Fantastic all-inclusive package with unlimited drinks 24/7
- Excellent selection of bars and restaurants Offers 4 restaurants, 3 a la carte and a choice of 4 bars
Experience Vibrant Havana and relaxing Varadero at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel during summer 2017
Enjoy a summer holiday of a lifetime staying at two amazing hotels in both Havana and Varadero that will give you the perfect opportunity to explore all that Cuba has to offer at melia habana hotel and melia marina varadero hotel
- Melia Marina Varadero offers modern amenities and services including a fitness centre, spa and a kids club
- Exclusive extras are offered in both hotels, including a romantic dinner for two in Varadero and a half day tour in Havana
- Book early and benefit from huge early bird summer discounts!
- Melia Habana enjoys an excellent location in Miramar, close to old Havana and offers stunning views of the city and its northern coast
Ideal for trendy couples - stay at a chic and sleek hotel in the heart of vibrant Havana and then move on the shores of Cuba's most famous beach.
- Be swept away by the amazing panoramic views of Havana from Capri's rooftop swimming pool
- Full range of Spa treatments for a more relaxing break at Blau Varadero, or a selection of water and land sports to choose from for the more active traveller
- Enjoy a fantastic Havana City Tour
- Get the honeymoon package with late check out, turn down service, special room upgrade and other services
Varadero is a showpiece of Cuba's natural beauty; stunning white beaches, turquoise waters and clusters of lofty palm...
Take a holiday to enjoy the abundant natural beauty of one of Cuba's leading resorts, Varadero. This locale is known for...
Get the best of Havana and Varadero with this fabulous combination of city and beach in two of Cuba's finest hotels, the...
Beyond its sober elegance of Mudejar roots and the presence of round arches and red clay tile roof, it is known for its...
Escape to Cuba on your next holiday and book a stay at the Villa Tortuga Hotel in Varadero. It is an all inclusive hotel...